Blood CM new release

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Blood CM new release

Post by Tekedon » Aug 28th, 2015, 13:11

I just noticed M210 has finally released a new version of Blood CM. Download here:

http://m210.duke4.net/index.php/files/v ... ssmatching

Krypto
Well Done

Re: Blood CM new release

Post by Krypto » Aug 28th, 2015, 13:36

Ha at all the bitches on Moddb speculating the project is dead due to a lack of updates (apparently it hasn't been updated there yet ye har har! xD), gee maybe people have a life outside of video games with important and pressing responsibilities.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Aug 30th, 2015, 01:47

Well I tried it and despite very acutely bearing in mind it is 'reverse engineered' their are critical flaws which detract heavily from the original ruining the gameplay mechaincs and feel. For one Zombies still fall down after getting hit on higher skills, it's annoying but more importantly completely immobolizes them which is a huge detriment.

Why do Cultists now have a one sided sprite resulting in them constantly facing you when in their view? It's make circle strafing and avoiding their fire impossible, not that it's a huge hindrance because the fucking HP and damage allocation to enemies in this port is shit, everything hits weak and goes down easy, is it seriously impossible to adjust these factors being hard coded into eduke32 and having to work under apparent limitations as a result of not having the source code to tinker with?

If the limitations are the case then so be it but I'd rather this didn't exist and am fine with the original despite the archaic nature of DOSBox.

Duke64
New user

Post by Duke64 » Aug 31st, 2015, 02:01

I am glad to hear he did it I talked to him recently and he told me he was working on an update for it so I am glad he went through with it! Thanks M210

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Aug 31st, 2015, 07:19

What's wrong with the original? :>

I'm more intrigued by Buildsharp at this point.

Duke64
New user

Post by Duke64 » Aug 31st, 2015, 23:51

Nothing is wrong with the original I love that to don't have a problem, but in the eduke engine its quite a nice feeling imo. But I was just playing Blood dm last night on Meltdown. Its always fun to drop by and play that but I also have the steam version of it which isn't much different if any at all.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Sep 1st, 2015, 09:00

The obvious flaw with Steam is your locked into the DRM system which is inconvenient and awkward to configure for a DOS game, ofcourse you could just move the contents to another folder and run it with regular DOSbox instead..

Duke64
New user

Post by Duke64 » Sep 2nd, 2015, 18:14

Yeah at first I thought oh damn a Blood release on steam come to find out it was the same thing but I bought it anyway. Yeah I can't stand trying to run it on steam I gave up on that lol. Now I just play it through Meltdown even co op works there its a great time all the time :)

But it is an appealing way to run it through Eduke32 I like the feeling maybe because I am used to it :)

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Sep 3rd, 2015, 20:09

My two cents about Blood CM. It's great for what it is :) Blood CM is essentially a backwards engineered Blood.
The things that make Blood what it is are so many and so small, to perfectly imitate this with no code to even look at would be next to impossible.
I welcome Blood CM for what it is and M210 has done a great job with it. I was part of "C2G" for a while and I can without hesitation say that what M210 has singlehandedly accomplished is very impressive. This is only one dude.. C2G had a team and did not get anywhere as far as this until it was pronounced dead, and it felt less like Blood.

Blood CM will probably never be an exact copy of Blood, but it's the best damn attempt ever. :lol:

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Sep 5th, 2015, 23:19

Well fellas I wanted to give this a fair analysis by playing through an entire episode, but then I grabbed a remote detonator on E3M1 and the ability to change weapons locked :>

I understand the obvious applause considering the limitations and obvious arduous challenges one man has managed to overcome to re-create a forgotten classic, but I'm naturally skeptical and adamant about how well it retains the authenticity of the gameplay mechanics which were so finely tuned and balanced to create a visceral yet fair game in the original. I'm certainly not easy to impress when it comes to translating this into a modern re-creation coming from a seasoned veteran who has played this for years and still continues to do so regularly, so I know what I'm talking about.