BLOOD 18th Anniversary Special

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Krypto
Well Done

Re: BLOOD 18th Anniversary Special

Post by Krypto » Jun 12th, 2015, 22:39

This is my Deathmask run through the Plasma Pak expansion, Episode 6 –Postmortem.

Get ready for the longest and most gruelling challenge yet in your quest to slay the 4 new Chosen in Training after the fall of Tchernobog. Also the most entertaining run as I should have died around 6 times but ironically beat this on my first attempt.

What is Deathmask Style?

This is a term coined among the BLOOD community and is a challenge to complete an entire episode on Extra Crispy (the hardest difficulty) without using saves or dying once.

For this last episode I shall write a relay of my thoughts on the given levels, prior episodes didn’t have much to comment on but this can evoke a few remarks both from a gameplay and level design standpoint.

E6M1 – Brutal opening straight into fray kicking it off with high difficulty, you have a battalion awaiting you in the store with many interesting tactical placements owing to their vertical height employed with the layout. You have to be very cautious when negotiating the groups of Cultists but luckily their numbers are balanced by the fact most drop Life Essences.

E6M2 – Excellent map with Cultists used throughout again but has the addition of different route choices owing to the brilliant non-linear layout. The use of groups also extends to Gargoyles, plenty of situations to use Dynamite tacitly to clear out corners although the Stone Gargoyle is entirely optional as he’s easily avoided.

E6M3 – Very intense level due to two factors, the usage of the entire beastiary in hordes rather than single usage and their devious placement such as with Hellhounds right around corners and Choking Hands, the nature of the warehouse layout means most of them are hidden or difficult to reach but thankfully this is counter balanced with the generous power up secrets to clear a good portion of the awaiting Armada. Very tricky with the Acolyte and Zealot placement.

E6M4 – Probably the most dangerous level in the entire episode due to the claustrophobia and the use of water in the mid area which most enemies will fall into and you’ll be slaughtered without finding the Invisibility Cloak. Add in the dark lighting with tricky enemy placement and a good number can wander over the map if your not careful adding in tension and a high number of ambushes.

E6M5 – This level takes the candidate for best non-linear layout in the episode. Not only can you approach rooms from different heights and angles but the secrets can be used to gain an advantageous entryway to sabotage most traps from a sneaky position, this rewards exploration and gives the map a very dynamic and fresh approach.

E6M6 – This map was in the BLOOD Alpha, 3rd map, it’s transitioned well into the expansion with an excellent non-linear layout allowing you to either storm the fortress head on or head into the sewers for a more stealthy approach with the generous helping of 10 secrets to help you slay the inexorable hordes of Cultists.

E6M9 – A well put together secret level, although it’s short the area behind the Skull door is brilliant as it again uses height variations to place enemies both above and below the player making you exposed and adding in tension along with mixing up the strategy, also employs the lower tier enemies at random such as Choking Hands to keep you on your guard.

E6M7 – A monstrous labyrinth consisting of 3 different wings you have to excavate in your preferred order of course, uses the entire beastiary to the maximum potential, complementing the strength and weakness of each enemy to make for dangerous situations. See the combination of Acoylte, Hellhound, Phantasm and Choking hands in the East Wing or the Cultist and Choking Hand ambush in the West Wing.

The claustrophobic layout makes it very hard to keep an eye on what’s around the corner as it’s often too late to react otherwise, it’s neck and neck throughout with fast reflexes required throughout with many different changes in strategy required with a huge number of traps.

E6M8 – A fitting finale to the end of BLOOD with the toughest opponent in the game making it’s grand appearance.

For convenience I have posted time stamps for the start of each level in the event you are unable to view the run in one sitting or need to take a break:

E6M1: Welcome To Your Life – 0:41
E6M2: They Are Here – 07:54
E6M3: Public Storage – 18:50
E6M4: Aqueducts – 35:57
E6M5: Ruined Temple– 52:51
E6M6: Forbidden Rituals – 1:07:06
E6M9: Forgotten Catacombs – 1:21:09
E6M7: The Dungeon – 1:30:25
E6M8: Beauty & the Beast – 1:49:19

Stay tuned for the bonuses coming up shortly!

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » Jun 14th, 2015, 16:46

Thanks for your great videos - Blood's truly a gem.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jun 21st, 2015, 15:19

Thanks for commenting great to hear it's appreciated :)

This video demonstrates the skill glitch encountered after loading a saved game and is known to affect skills 1, 2 and 5.

Each skill setting assigns different health and damage attributes for each enemy as well as accuracy attributes for the Cultists, this has a great impact on the challenge and enjoyment of the game.

Shown here is the damage output for both a Zombie and Cultist on ‘Still Kicking’ and ‘Extra Crispy’ on E1M5, then after dying a saved game is loaded at the start of E1M5 which shows the damage value has tripled to nearly that of skill 5, while the value reduces by x3 to that of skill 1 after loading when playing ‘Extra Crispy’.

The significance of this is every Youtube Blood playthrough on 'Extra Crispy' is in fact on ‘Still Kicking’ with the amount of enemies you would find on ‘Extra Crispy’ which makes all of them entirely disqualified and void.

The only way to prevent this glitch if playing on skill 1,2 and 5 is to only save right before a level exit then when you enter the next level this glitch is reset to the original skill values or not save through an entire episode at all.

The only true ‘Extra Crispy’ playthroughs are by The Official Postmortem playthrough or myself.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jun 21st, 2015, 15:20

This is the BLOOD theme or at least unused setup theme because it is only heard in the SETUP.EXE when testing the 'Music Card'.

It is heard in all Shareware versions and Retail version 1.0 before changing in 1.10/1.11

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jun 21st, 2015, 15:20

This is the second BLOOD theme or at least unused setup theme because it is only heard in the SETUP.EXE when testing the 'Music Card'.

This is an alternative version of Unholy Voices heard on E1M1, it is encountered in Retail versions 1.10/1.11 and 1.21

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jun 21st, 2015, 15:22

The BLOOD Soundtrack Converted by Brandon Blume, aka MusicallyInspired.

MIDI Converted to OGG on a SC-55.

The Roland SC-55 was the standard in the 90s for computer game soundtracks. It was the top of the line. The absolute best you could buy. Nearly every game supported it and preferred its many enhancements over the simple General MIDI standard. They not only supported it but most game soundtracks were composed with it and as a result their best gaming experiences were meant to be made with an SC-55.

Illustration is copyright Damien Azreal. (Sorry Youtube compresses the image so it looks bleh unless viewed in HD but it's fitting and looks like an album cover.)

You can download the Roland soundtrack in OGG format from RTCM:
http://www.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/ ... d_sc55.zip
Last edited by Krypto on Jun 21st, 2015, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jun 21st, 2015, 18:51

Now for the iconic Pestis Cruento.

This track is known as (PESTIS) or Pestis Cruento and is heard in the opening for BLOOD when launching the game just before the demo loop kicks in. It isn't heard in any level of the retail game but was used on E1M3 in early shareware versions and can be set to be played in custom levels.

I won't spam the thread with the rest of the soundtrack but it's up for viewing.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jun 21st, 2015, 19:42

Ending with the classic, the legendary, the powerful Unholy Voices!

This track is known as (UNHOLY) or Unholy Voices and is heard on E1M1, E3M7, E4M8.

Thus marks the end of this miniature project of mine, and here I naively thought it wouldn't take no more then a month to upload everything hehe.

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jun 23rd, 2015, 03:41

Different modules can significantly alter the mood of the MIDI soundtrack, and this one sounds ideal.

Around 2:25, a ghastly wail begins to repeat that I don't remember hearing before. Quite amazing.
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jun 26th, 2015, 14:51

Super Secret bonus video detailing Blood's origins and development history via old web archives of Q-Studios to clear up all false rumours that 3D Realms developed it.

VCG Nick Newhard Interview
http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.p ... iths-blood

Q-Studios archive
https://web.bloodline.eu/q_studios/

3D Realms Blood archive
https://web.bloodline.eu/3drealms_blood_page/

Blood Alpha Developer notes
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Blood/Alpha_Demo ... s.27_Notes

3D Realms Sells Blood Rights
https://web.bloodline.eu/3drealms_blood_rights/

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jul 24th, 2015, 00:01

Now that I reflect over this grueling odyssey, the most ironic conclusion is Episode 2 took the most tries in total being 3 attempts which in hindsight I thought would be the easiest episode however what got me killed were random freak accidents as is the case 99% of the time when playing 'Death Mask'.

The first was in the cellars of E2M5 - The Haunting, in the narrow corridors filled with Zombies and Butchers after obtaining the Skull key, I was cocky enough to use the Incinerator and was doing well enough till a dead Butcher's corpse flew towards me and the engine thought it was still alive so I ended up shooting myself point blank and dying instantly.

The second was entirely optional on E2M6 - The Cold Rush going for that Life Seed secret on the ledge for the sake of completion, I swear the game fucked up when I was on the slope and as I went to jump it didn't register it, so I plummeted and quit the game before impact.

The third and the most lulzy is when I reached E2M7 - Bowels of the Earth but due to using 1.0 the game hates the level and crashes randomly even when being very careful not to blow up lots of things at once. So I thought I'd just explain it and carry on from their from Pitchfork start but I was tired as shit and accidently deleted my previous footage after taking a break and coming back to finish it later.

However I feel the best failures go to Episode 4 where I died right at the end of E4M7 - In the Flesh due to a choking hand and on E4M6 - The Ganglion Depths near the bridge at the end when a freak Gargoyle suddenly appeared in my view causing me to alt + tab out, then when I got back in I was still alive and finished the episode but due to not stopping and restarting the capturing from windowed to fullscreen the footage fucked up from the incident beyond.

Oh and epic win for beating Episode 6 - Postmortem on my first attempt 8)

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jul 24th, 2015, 14:24

Fine tales indeed! Perishing so late in the episodes is a great pity and dying to a choking hand is particularly disappointing and always feels cheap - especially when one has the unique pleasure of watching their 200 health, 200 armour self slowly pass into oblivion because of one little enemy.

I laughed at quitting before hitting the ground in Cold Rush.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

StIwY
New user

Post by StIwY » Aug 6th, 2015, 13:35

You didn't mentioned the Caleb quote about the Kool-Aid, on E1M1 drips

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Aug 7th, 2015, 18:33

Your mistaken, Caleb slurps and says 'Ahhhh' when interacting with the Blood drips on E1M1, he says 'This is better then cruel aid.' After you win the Life Seed from the first carnival game on E1M4, ofcourse the retail shareware version uses the line 'Yippee' instead.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Sep 30th, 2015, 18:34

As any discussion regarding Blood deserves it's own thread and I couldn't think of anywhere more relevant, here is my Blood collection thus far.

From top to bottom beginning from the left hand side:

1) The Blood Group, consisting of Blood II + The Nightmare Levels (Still Sealed)

2) X2 Blood Shareware (Jewelcase), Blood European Release (Boxed), Cryptic Passage (Still Sealed), Unlock the Secrets Game Guide (Still Sealed), Blood II (Jewelcase)

3) Blood European Release (Jewelcase), X2 Blood American Release (Jewel Case), Cryptic Passage (CD/Manual), Plasma Pak (Jewelcase), One Unit Whole Blood (Still Sealed Jewelcase)

4) x2 Blood Strategy Guide, Blood II Strategy Guide