Horror 3D (ZDoom mod I found)

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Re: Horror 3D (ZDoom mod I found)

Post by Daedolon » Aug 16th, 2015, 17:32

Status Cruo wrote:It's precisely relativism what lowers the standards.
DOOM mods have standards?

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Aug 16th, 2015, 18:01

Check and mate 8) to the hurr let's remake Blood on ZDoom guys.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Aug 16th, 2015, 18:55

Daedolon wrote:
Status Cruo wrote:It's precisely relativism what lowers the standards.
DOOM mods have standards?
Massa Daedolon speaketh truth.

A lot of people out there will judge everything worthy of acceptance solely on the basis that they themselves did it, even if it's barely a questionable use of unauthorized third party resources. Blood and Doom modifications were never meant to be unequally yoked together, it's abomination.

Exalt not thyself against the sacred and eternally immutable stronghold of Blood, but let the heathen perish to their own devices.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Aug 16th, 2015, 19:04

Well that Brutal Doom mod definitely has merit. I speculate it even influenced design of DOOM 4.

BLOOD, on the other hand, is already brutal as it gets. DOOM could only benefit from violent physics and gory effects to make it more visceral. It would be hard to find a field in which BLOOD could be advanced without disrupting the delicate balance of action and tactical approach.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Aug 17th, 2015, 01:46

I think the actual issue stems either from very dislocated team communication, the simple lack of a coherent game design or just plain lack of experience.

Seeing pretty much all DOOM mods (sans one or two exception to the rule) seem to still dwell in the complete lack of new enemies (or original content denouncing enemies altogether), aiming low only for some minor gameplay changes. While producing new artwork, especially for multi-angled, animated sprites is very timeconsuming even for a talented artist, I find it hard to believe that modders have no ambition to even try to devise alternate ideas, but just tack some lackluster gameplay mechanic (ie. "EXCESSIVE GORE OMG") on top of an otherwise largely unmodified game.

Yet they somehow think this lackluster game mechanic is enough when you add some stolen copyrighted assets (when services like Freesound or CGTextures are of high quality and abundant) on top and pack up for their fifteen minutes on a service like YouTube or Twitch. Though I think Brutal Doom has probably gotten more screen time than it probably deserves.

It doesn't work the other way that often either. In Hacx, however impressive some of the new art is, a majority of it doesn't seem to fit together, providing for a cheapo feel to it. The most basic enemy type also seems like a blatant Imp reskin, with no apparent new code behind it. This makes me wonder if there's something inherently devilish in the DOOM engine, preventing for proper new game code to be written, especially for enemies.

Although it should not be surprising that a majority of any game's mods are largely based on the original game, with little to nothing changed. This is true for any game that has a modding community. It just irks me that all of these teams modding DOOM have either no talent either in game design or can't follow up their dream designs, both resulting in a lack of new gameplay elements. Imps and cyberdemons all over.

What I wish is that some of these talented folk would actually come up with new ways to utilise the DOOM engine. Seeing how utterly versatile EDuke32 is (just you wait 8)), it makes me sad not to see people make first person horror adventures, isometric strategy games or third person racing games, anything but the Imp Mangling Simulator 2000 they keep revisiting. Even with all the imp killing, for the modders, there still should be some kind of silver lining to strive for, and not just fluffy clouds, which might each look a bit different, but always fill the same function.

Also...
The Doom Wikia wrote:Sprites and other graphics from Hacx have been reused in many other TCs/PCs since the game's release, though Banjo Software has forbidden the use of its graphics in other WADs.
lol.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Sep 1st, 2015, 16:01

From what I've seen (and I haven't seen much to be honest), the people making modifications today, even when a couple of them will be good artists by the books, have absolutely no idea what the right tools are for the job, let alone how to properly sample, handle and modify their resources.

Some of the bigger sins in modern sprite "creation":

. JPEG.
. Total disregard for the game's original aspect ratio and default gamma correction values.
. Bilinear+ sub-sampling.
. Dithering.
. Use of the unused palette entry for anything other than transparency.
. Poor background removal that leaves very rough, uneven, unpleasant edges.
. Inadequate (when at all present) re-hueing of blotched areas on automatically-paletted truecolor images.
. Exasperating theme clashing.

Needless to say, the audio department too leaves a lot to be desired.