Burning cultist bug

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Snehk
New user

Burning cultist bug

Post by Snehk » Mar 5th, 2015, 20:18

Hi, I'm new to the forums.

When playing on the E1M3 and going to the front of the train, I shot into a room full of cultists with flare gun's alternate fire. After a while a burning cultist ran into the corridor. There was something wrong though. The cultist burned and burned without dying. I saved the game and reloaded. The cultist came back to its non burning form, but when I attacked him, he started to burn again. The situation repeated after turning the game off and on, even a few times. I'm playing the One Unit Whole Blood from gog.com, with DosBox shipped with the installation. I've recorded it with DosBox' avi recorder (though I had some framerate issues with it):

Last edited by Snehk on Mar 9th, 2015, 20:21, edited 3 times in total.

Krypto
Well Done

Re: Burning cultist bug

Post by Krypto » Mar 8th, 2015, 23:28

Greetings Snehk! A pleasure to see fresh blood around these parts, stay a while and hopefully we can revive discussion in the currently languishing Blood section, oh yes :wink:

You've discovered the infamous Flame Guy Bug one of the more humorous and rare glitches to trigger, especially as when it occurs their pretty much invulnerable until they come into contact with an explosion, even the tranquility of a nearby pool can't quench their spontaneous combustion, let the eternal flame dude rock on.

Also as a handy tip the correct method to show case your video would be to use the Youtube tag in the 'Post Reply' section then paste only the video ID being the series of numbers after ?v=
Spoiler: show
[youtube] 6pQ2c9D2LQw [/youtube]
Here's another demonstration of the glitch:

Snehk
New user

Post by Snehk » Mar 9th, 2015, 20:30

Greetings!

I never knew about that bug, and there's still much more I have to find!

Thanks for showing me the wiki page for the flame guy, and for helping me with correcting the video! Also, how rare is the bug? Is there, theoretically a way to create area full of bugged flame guys?

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Mar 10th, 2015, 13:02

That's a very good question! I always thought it could only happen due to luck if you set an enemy on fire near a wall so he clips into it during the 'dying' process. Only the residential Dreaming God could solve this mystery, if his interest is aroused only time will tell..

Gargoyle
New user

Post by Gargoyle » Mar 10th, 2015, 15:05

Snehk wrote:Also, how rare is the bug? Is there, theoretically a way to create area full of bugged flame guys?
The easiest way is to shoot a single flame to a critically wounded monster like this:

Snehk
New user

Post by Snehk » Mar 10th, 2015, 18:08

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it, and post the progress here.

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Mar 10th, 2015, 18:49

Enemies that run into lava and are able to leave the lava area before finishing burning will all burn forever :P
This is easiest to try on e4m5: fire and brimstone

Snehk
New user

Post by Snehk » Mar 11th, 2015, 17:47

That's interesting! I'll try it when I reach E4M5 in my playthrough. Still had no luck with recreating the bug.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Mar 13th, 2015, 19:12

Hey Tekedon it's great to see your still kicking, got any more marvelous mapping manifestations in the works? ;)

And a hiho to you as well Gargoyle, I wonder if other 'Youtube Bloodites' continue to lurk here but seemingly have no interest to enter these odious halls formally, hmm...

It'd be great to confirm whether their is a practical formula to replicate this bug at your chosen leisure given it's probably the most hilarious.

Snehk
New user

Post by Snehk » Mar 14th, 2015, 00:41

Still had no luck. All of the flame guys received today died soon after ignition. Also, when playing on E1M6 I was fighting zombies near the corridor with flame throwers. I saw one of them run straight into the fire, but receive no damage. The flame throwers had no effect on the zombie.

Sir Seizhak
Pink on the Inside

Post by Sir Seizhak » Mar 20th, 2015, 14:11

He he, I recorded the tiny flame guy.

The first time I see that bug :D.
Cabal's Return Add-On. Wait for it.

BloodHispano. The best Spanish Blood website!

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Mar 21st, 2015, 11:43

Krypto wrote:Hey Tekedon it's great to see your still kicking, got any more marvelous mapping manifestations in the works? ;)

And a hiho to you as well Gargoyle, I wonder if other 'Youtube Bloodites' continue to lurk here but seemingly have no interest to enter these odious halls formally, hmm...

It'd be great to confirm whether their is a practical formula to replicate this bug at your chosen leisure given it's probably the most hilarious.
I got a few maps that are unfinished that I hope to be able to finish. Can't say how long it'll take though. :D

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Mar 21st, 2015, 13:16

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Mar 22nd, 2015, 14:38

Here is my contribution to the madness!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast