Death wish review

Post by Yhe1 » Nov 30th, 2014, 23:14

GGGmanlives did a review of Deathwish for Blood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Fotgr ... L45Ia6j5EA

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Re: Death wish review

Post by Daedolon » Dec 1st, 2014, 19:32

I just came here to write about this. Ha. Embedded it here.

Tofu
New user

Post by Tofu » Dec 2nd, 2014, 00:51

Good review. Bloatoid is a hero.

CoraX_ BlooD_RaveN
Still Kicking

Post by CoraX_ BlooD_RaveN » Dec 4th, 2014, 19:45

Tofu wrote:Good review. Bloatoid is a hero.
Bloatoid просто Bloatoid,один из лучших среди лучших :D Bloatoid это Легенда :D Также как и Kурт :D

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Dec 16th, 2014, 23:12

Great review!
Is Mr. Bloatoid planning on doing any more stuff, or is he working on something right now?

Bloatoid
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bloatoid » Dec 17th, 2014, 21:36

I have a 1.4 version of Death Wish that adds some updated levels from another add-on, 2 accompanying transition levels, and an overall health rebalance in addition to some changes and additions to the existing level set. I still have to finish the last transition level when I find some free time before I release it.

I doubt I'll ever have time to make a full add-on for Blood ever again now that I have my own game studio, so if I end up doing anything new I'd probably work it into a Death Wish update like I am now.

HenitoKisou
New user

Post by HenitoKisou » Dec 19th, 2014, 07:40

Bloatoid wrote:I have a 1.4 version of Death Wish that adds some updated levels from another add-on, 2 accompanying transition levels, and an overall health rebalance in addition to some changes and additions to the existing level set. I still have to finish the last transition level when I find some free time before I release it.

I doubt I'll ever have time to make a full add-on for Blood ever again now that I have my own game studio, so if I end up doing anything new I'd probably work it into a Death Wish update like I am now.
You don't have to, as Death Wish is your opus magnum for Blood and along with several older projects there will be nothing better than that, only proving grounds to learn from what you achieved. Maybe in future, when Blood finally attain sourceport, sequel or reboot game ideas from DW can be put into motion.

Contrary to what is said in review neither episode was too hard or map with health problems maybe except auto-destruct sequence of monstromo ship in ep2. I assume you added some maps from Hostile Takeover for DW 1.4 update. ;-)

Bloatoid
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bloatoid » Dec 19th, 2014, 19:24

The new levels are updated versions of the first two from Hostile Takeover. I had to fix a bunch of stuff and add some new areas so that they had the same quality level as the rest of the DW set. I looked at the other levels from Hostile Takeover but they were either too low-quality or too much work to restore to DW standard to include at this time. The new levels are secret levels (DW1.4 will have a total of 5) so it won't interrupt the established level order. You'll just have to find them!

As for the regular map set, I've conceded that the base game was too stingy on health, but the addition is mostly life essences here and there — nothing game-breaking. I figured for people who like it really hard there's still extra crispy.

The map set is now more speed-run friendly, allowing several bomb-jump skips that were blocked off before (dwe1m7, dwe2m7, dwe3m5, etc). I sped up a bunch of elevators that were too slow and added directional "wind" to large bodies of water which acts like a current (like the opening to dwe2m4) so it doesn't take so long to swim to your destination when there's only one place to go. I want to make the pod ride in the Mothership level a lot shorter as well.

Basically, I'm cleaning up some of the annoying stuff, redoing areas I thought were ugly/clunky like the hallway leading to the first boss battle, and eliminating a few instances where people can become "trapped" in multiplayer when someone dies while holding a key (sometimes this can't be avoided without ruining a sequence or effect, and I'm not compromising single-player for co-op). Watching youtube playthroughs of DW 1.3 helped a lot in figuring out what needed work.

Tofu
New user

Post by Tofu » Dec 19th, 2014, 22:36

Bloatoid wrote:The new levels are updated versions of the first two from Hostile Takeover. I had to fix a bunch of stuff and add some new areas so that they had the same quality level as the rest of the DW set. I looked at the other levels from Hostile Takeover but they were either too low-quality or too much work to restore to DW standard to include at this time. The new levels are secret levels (DW1.4 will have a total of 5) so it won't interrupt the established level order. You'll just have to find them!

As for the regular map set, I've conceded that the base game was too stingy on health, but the addition is mostly life essences here and there — nothing game-breaking. I figured for people who like it really hard there's still extra crispy.

The map set is now more speed-run friendly, allowing several bomb-jump skips that were blocked off before (dwe1m7, dwe2m7, dwe3m5, etc). I sped up a bunch of elevators that were too slow and added directional "wind" to large bodies of water which acts like a current (like the opening to dwe2m4) so it doesn't take so long to swim to your destination when there's only one place to go. I want to make the pod ride in the Mothership level a lot shorter as well.

Basically, I'm cleaning up some of the annoying stuff, redoing areas I thought were ugly/clunky like the hallway leading to the first boss battle, and eliminating a few instances where people can become "trapped" in multiplayer when someone dies while holding a key (sometimes this can't be avoided without ruining a sequence or effect, and I'm not compromising single-player for co-op). Watching youtube playthroughs of DW 1.3 helped a lot in figuring out what needed work.
Nice dude. Can't wait to play it. :D

My crappy old laptop died an agonizing death not too long ago. I said fuck it, in June when I'm less busy I'm hoping to build a proper gaming PC and stop denying myself things I truly enjoy. When I do that I'm planning to put up my own playthrough of DW on youtube, really looking forward to it m8.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Feb 4th, 2015, 13:00

Awesome to see Blood getting recognition on a wider social scale, funnily enough I only found his channel by pure chance when randomly browsing Youtube one day, great reviewer as he covers not only Oldschool FPS but delves into Newschool bridging the gap between games from the late 90's and the earlier 2000's.

Looking forward to this latest 1.4 rendition of Death Wish, giving me a reason to play it through once more.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Apr 22nd, 2015, 17:35

It's been over a year and still no word on the Death Wish v1.4 update :(

Bloatoid
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bloatoid » Apr 23rd, 2015, 04:15

I haven't really had time to work on it in the last few months as I tangle with some other projects. I was looking at a Halloween release, but I'll have to see what kind of schedule I have this summer.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Apr 23rd, 2015, 13:15

Great to see you here Bloatoid! I remember so time ago I found a link to your game studio and what your currently developing but I appear to have lost it, chances are it was in one of these threads but could you inform us here for everyone who is interested?

Also throughout all your years with Mapedit did you ever refer to a particular source when building levels or did you learn everything yourself?