Blood: The Lost Episode

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
kingmaz
New user

Blood: The Lost Episode

Post by kingmaz » Nov 27th, 2014, 11:28

Hi Everyone,

There is a whole episode worth of content on the blood alpha. I have fixed up the best and most complete maps for this episode by implementing sounds, fixing various issues and adding aesthetics to some of the levels.

below is the URL for a sort of walkthrough of the first Level I will post more videos in the next few days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HjZWT1ALSQ

If anyone would like to help me spread the episode pack around please let me know as I am new to uploading files on the internet. Right now I have the eight levels in a zip folder with a readme and a blood.ini. Sorry if this out of forum etiquette as I am new to forums as well.

if you plan on playing it I really hope you enjoy it.

L3GEND
Still Kicking

Re: Blood: The Lost Episode

Post by L3GEND » Nov 27th, 2014, 19:16

WOW, its christmas time :D
I want to play it, great work !!!!!
Please upload it here http://blood.freeminded.de/index.php?section=upload

https://bloodline.eu -regularly posted news, regularly new things
https://archive.bloodline.eu - the biggest blood bank ever made, over 2700 bloody files, from week to week more.
support our work and register !

kingmaz
New user

Post by kingmaz » Nov 27th, 2014, 23:26

Hello L3GEND... my sole supporter,

I have uploaded the episode to the link you provided. Please let me know if there are other places I should upload the content as well.

I would really love to see people playing these maps, if you have a screen recorder please post videos or links here.

Happy Holidays.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Nov 28th, 2014, 00:04

Let it be known that your work has not gone unnoticed.

I appreciate the concept behind it, and I'm about to give it a go.

kingmaz
New user

Post by kingmaz » Nov 28th, 2014, 01:06

wonderful, I am very pleased to read that.

I can't wait to read about the experiences with it.

L3GEND
Still Kicking

Post by L3GEND » Nov 28th, 2014, 20:34

Thank you ;)
I try to record it, when i find some time. You have an PM :D

https://archive.bloodline.eu - the biggest blood bank ever made, over 2700 bloody files, from week to week more.

kingmaz
New user

Post by kingmaz » Nov 28th, 2014, 20:50

you can email me at chostarfox78@gmail.com

L3GEND
Still Kicking

Post by L3GEND » Nov 28th, 2014, 20:55

I send you an EMAIL, check your inbox :D

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Nov 29th, 2014, 02:36

From this particular point forward, the slime pit gets an invisible ceiling you can't dive out of. But such a thing is deceitful, and a work against the natural flow of the map.

This key is unprotected. You can gain access to it by simply jumping over the wall.

Get behind the 666 wall, to this little area, close the wall, open it again and you'll watch it disappear right in front of your eyes.

Apparently I found a secret that didn't even exist.

Having just finished the first level, missing at least one more secret (judging from the amount of enemies left), I can tell you it was fun, but challenging to the point that I was forced to save after clearing out even small areas, mainly because of cultists sniping merciless from every window in sight.

We shall see what evil awaits next.

kingmaz
New user

Post by kingmaz » Nov 29th, 2014, 05:15

Let me start by saying all the time I have spent working on these maps has just been rewarded by you. I am so happy to hear you had fun playing it and thank you for doing so.

I am very aware of the challenge you speak of, trying to find the balance of what works where is very difficult. I went threw many different versions of these maps with just enemy placement alone. Many of the "sniper" cultists were either deleted or replaced with green cultists in all of these maps. I kept a few with the intention of keeping a challenge however, it seems I still managed to overkill on that regard.

I believe there are actually 7 secrets in the first level. Score screens in all levels show 0 secrets I am unsure of how it works and I will research the issue. Also FYI as I keep saying I did not make these maps and in a recently play through I discovered 2 secrets even I was unaware of so they do not register as secrets. You can check out the youtube link I posted to see all the other secrets you missed.

I will definitely go back and try to fix all the issues you pointed out, it would be nice if you go through all the maps and show them to me before I start. That way I wont have to keep releasing, I definitely would appreciate any suggestions on enemy placement/replacement as well.

Also i am not sure what you mean about invisible slime ceiling I will look into it but perhaps you can share more details?

I am super excited and looking forward to your comments on the next level.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Nov 29th, 2014, 06:07

Happy to be of help.
kingmaz wrote:I kept a few with the intention of keeping a challenge however, it seems I still managed to overkill on that regard
Whether they be too much or not, I'm about the last person you should hearken to regarding this matter. My skills are actually quite poor. Granted some Bloodites may find the difficulty level to be right up their alley.
kingmaz wrote:it would be nice if you go through all the maps and show them to me before I start. That way I wont have to keep releasing, I definitely would appreciate any suggestions on enemy placement/replacement as well
I'll make sure to point out anything that doesn't seem right, as I go along. It will definitely take me some days, not sure exactly how many, and obviously discard not the possibility of oversights on my part, shall there be anything else to pick up.
kingmaz wrote:Also i am not sure what you mean about invisible slime ceiling I will look into it but perhaps you can share more details?
Fall into the pit as you do at the beginning, go underwater, move in the direction shown in the screenshot and try to jump out of it. Compare then, that to the water surface of E2M1. Most likely an improperly tagged sector.

kingmaz
New user

Post by kingmaz » Nov 29th, 2014, 06:53

There is an entrance to a secret level on e3m4 btw.

It seems like me and you are the only ones in this thread.
I'll make sure to point out anything that doesn't seem right, as I go along. It will definitely take me some days, not sure exactly how many, and obviously discard not the possibility of oversights on my part, shall there be anything else to pick up.
don't feel confined to just talking about tweaks and issues on the levels. Id love to hear details on experiences, which levels you liked/hated, any other alpha-ish related topics etc...

personally I really enjoyed the first level and loved the first four levels I am so surprised none of them made retail, plasma, or even a second expansion (i don't count cryptic cause it was wizard works and they wouldn't have access) . I really enjoyed the concept and art direction for many of the alpha levels too. With the exception of all the haunted house maps it feels like many of the alpha levels were unique of retail and plasma maps.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Nov 29th, 2014, 10:52

kingmaz wrote:It seems like me and you are the only ones in this thread
You'd be surprised how many Bloodites lurk in the shadows, waiting patiently for the right season, the right moment...
kingmaz wrote:don't feel confined to just talking about tweaks and issues on the levels. Id love to hear details on experiences, which levels you liked/hated, any other alpha-ish related topics etc...
The first map has a Heretic castle feel to it. Not something that would fit in the standard Blood theme, but that doesn't take anything away from it.

This second map is easily one of the creepiest, most unsettling places I've ever been to. The background music of choice greatly exacerbates the spook factor. Certainly Blood at it's finest, an overlooked gem (take heed Bloodites, that you don't let your kids walk into the room when you're going through this map!)

As for the gameplay specifically, it was a "hit and run" kind of a deal for me. Less challenging than the first in certain areas, but a joy to play nonetheless. I'd easily die a couple times before I figured out how to approach a corner.

Now onto business:

This button appears to have been placed there to open the wall of the secret area from inside, but since the wall doesn't actually close after it's been opened, it's useless.

The revealed secret message pops up as you walk over this altar/desk structure, yet that should only appear after you have activated it with the use key, after the structure goes underneath, as seen in the picture.

This moving bookshelf opens slowly as it's supposed to, but closes instantly without even making a sound.

This room right behind it is very much empty. The shadows projected by the columns could be used to hide a multitude of enemies.

Walking close to some paintings in the map will have the effect of pushing you under, as if into a passage with a very low, sloping ceiling.

The rats in this hole appear to be trapped. They never leave, they never chase you out of the room.

This type of glass lets bullets through.

This room, as cool as it is, remains desolate. Only one enemy, and not a particularly tough one.

When you're standing at the very entrance of this tunnel, looking back at the blood pool, you can see a door stuck inside the wall, totally inactive.

The butcher stands there inside an open tomb, unable to see you from a distance and unable to walk out of it as he takes damage. Too much of an easy kill.

6 secrets and counting.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Feb 19th, 2015, 00:31

Greetings, thank you for this offering to add continued life to this slowly beating relic! I apoligise for not formally being around at the time to witness the date of this release nor offer feedback, but rest assured I shall play this in due course and do my best to leave a concise review as I have done for previous mod releases, see the French Meat and RATM threads.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Mar 11th, 2015, 14:25

I finally got around to playing this but judging from Maz's profile he won't be back here any time soon unless he's lurking.. nevertheless I shall write my thoughts on what I've experienced so far, after having played three maps.

The first most notable aspect is holy tits is this hard, why their is absolutely no armor except for 'Super Armor' in an obscure secret in the three maps in so far? It's very punishing with the excessive number of Cultists and having a handful of Doctor Bags doesn't make up for this. I died around 6 times on the first map due to the way Cultists were sneakily positioned and the fact the maps are brilliantly non-linear with a good sense of inter-connectivity means taking an alternative path isn't necessarily easier as you could be blindsided from a different angle.

Furthermore to set the atmosphere suitably for this occasion, I created my own .RFS file and incorporated the 'Alpha MIDI Music' which fits very nicely but ultimately I prefer the retail tracks we got in the end because they have a strong sense of atmosphere and ambiance which makes them memorable unlike the fast paced spooky Doom themes of the Alpha.

The third map 'Cabalist Compound' kicked my ass to no end due to the high number of random ambushes everywhere, except it feels quite cheap because instead of something like a Cultist around a corner a whole wall containing a fucking squadron suddenly appears without warning and it's of especially noticeable after emerging from that opening in the Gillbeast Passageway to greet not only 4 Fanatics on the sides, but then 4 more right in front, what a cheap bastard :P

I also especially liked the Hellhound traps in those tight corridors, my 200+ Fire Armor from the 2nd map saved me after stupidly forgetting about one placement following a failed attempt, again this map is brilliantly non-linear with multiple approaches, Jame Wilson and Team did an excellent job and it sure does feel like 'Postmortem Part II' so far.