Recreating Blood in UDK

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Ulfen125
New user

Recreating Blood in UDK

Post by Ulfen125 » Aug 31st, 2013, 16:43

Hello,

I have for the past weeks been working on a little project in UDK that I wanted to show to you guys. The idea is to recreate the multiplayer of Blood in UDK and bring the graphic quality up. Of course the singleplayer campaign has come to my mind too but it is such a huge project. The reason for posting here is really to see if anyone would be interested in joining the project and making this thing possible. I myself am no good Project leader, I am simply a graphic artist. The project would need a cooder, level designer, and of course other graphics artist and sound designers. Any help at all would be appreciated!

Now to the fun stuff, here are some videos and pictures showing the content there is so far. Note that all the code and sounds in the videos are placeholders and cannot be used in final project.

Weapons:
http://youtu.be/COwrZW4mnHQ
Player Animations:
http://youtu.be/KYEGJ7xrfsU

L3GEND
Still Kicking

Re: Recreating Blood in UDK

Post by L3GEND » Aug 31st, 2013, 18:15

Looks very good dude :-)
You should use original game content, for that you need the permission of Jace Hall ...gnerates a little BLOOD feeling..
I could help, for example in the design and hosting of a website ..
and organizational help I could also offer...

https://bloodline.eu -regularly posted news, regularly new things
https://archive.bloodline.eu - the biggest blood bank ever made, over 2700 bloody files, from week to week more.
support our work and register !

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Aug 31st, 2013, 20:49

Looks like we have another potential modder to recreate Blood here.

Of course though as for Caleb, maybe you could ahead with the bald look but if you read what Kevin Kilstrom originally intended, Caleb was originally supposed to have short hair (since he was supposed to look like Ash from the Evil Dead films) but he was made bald in the cutscenes because of technical issues and his sprite was made faceless. Of course your model of Caleb is probably the best I've ever seen actually and looks very closely to the cutscenes and his faceless sprite from the original game (well maybe you could darken the edges of his face or maybe his hat casts a shadow on his face or keep it the way it is, up to you).

As for the FPS hands, maybe you could add Jacket Sleeves to match the model. Of course though maybe you should model the other Chosen as playable characters as well (like Ophelia, Gabriel, Ishmael) not to mention possibly a Cabal faction where you can play as the cultists/fanatics/zealots/acolytes/etc similar to ROTT 13 in MP mode (I think maybe you could play as the other Chosen in the SP campaign as well).

Lastly though, if your mapping the boss arenas from the original game maybe you should have them look like they do in the cutscenes including the Hall of Epiphany.
Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Aug 31st, 2013, 21:00, edited 8 times in total.

CaDeLL
New user

Post by CaDeLL » Aug 31st, 2013, 20:50

Looks really promising, although I can't begin to imagine how difficult it'll be to recreate the maps in UDK.
And I agree that using the original game content would be a better choice than trying to remake everything, it'll also look better.

Ulfen125
New user

Post by Ulfen125 » Sep 1st, 2013, 11:46

Hello again,

Thanks for the replies. It seems like Jace Hall is interested in improving the current Blood which I am not. The idea with this project is to simply create a tribute to the original in a newer engine. Sort of like Transfusion :) Oh and note that all this content is not final and will probably change. The caleb model is very unfinished and I have thought about the hair but I havnt decided yet what sort of hair. My idea for the multiplayer characters was to play some of the classics from the singpleplayer like the Zombies, Cultists and such. The fps hands Is set up so you can easily change the arms by code, all the models use the same skeleton which makes it easy to simply add sleeves and such. As for recreating the maps in UDK, sure it will be hard but with a good level desinger its possible to take an old map and fill it with details and still keep the gameplay and flow of the map.

Oh and as I said before Jace Hall is interested in doing something I am not capable of doing, I am no sprite artist and I have no clue of how to work in the Build engine. I am not saying its a bad project (I would love to see Blood fixed up) but it is simply not what I had in mind for this project :)

Oh and that sounds good L3GEND, thanks for the offer! :)

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Sep 2nd, 2013, 03:46

Ulfen125 wrote:As for recreating the maps in UDK, sure it will be hard but with a good level desinger its possible to take an old map and fill it with details and still keep the gameplay and flow of the map.
Well what you could do is take the original maps and add more detail to them to make them look like actual real places than a build engine map but at the same time recognizable as in what they originally were (like ROTT 13 and Knee Deep in ZDoom).

Or rather that, you could also entirely remake the maps entirely as long they stick to the themes (like Cemetery, Train Station, Train level, Dark Carnival, etc) and of course adding new levels like "Green Town" after the train level and such.

Well for one example I just gave, in the boss maps, I think you can watch the Blood FMV cutscenes and try to duplicate what's depicted on there.

Ulfen125
New user

Post by Ulfen125 » Sep 2nd, 2013, 09:49

Blood of Nightmares, that is exactly how I would want it, recreating the original maps but with more details :) Also I will try to upload new content as often as I can to keep you guys updated!

deathclonic
New user

Post by deathclonic » Sep 2nd, 2013, 21:54

I'm planning on creating a mod/map for rott13 with a group of friends based on Bloods style and gameplay. I plan on only using the best parts about blood and improving upon that. In order to do this correctly I need opinions from people that have played the game like it's their fucking food source lol.

It's going to be one big map on an island during a storm at night, I'll post some progress pictures below. Let me know what you think and I might post a new topic about this later as WIP.

http://i.imgur.com/GMzzALM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EWPQ2Qe.jpg

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Sep 30th, 2013, 05:11

I absolutely love you did with the Caleb model. Looks even better than Blood2's if you ask me 8)