Blood difficulty glitch?

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Narcissus
New user

Blood difficulty glitch?

Post by Narcissus » Aug 13th, 2012, 19:23

Hey guys,

Long time fan of Duke and the other build games - just heard of Blood and downloaded it off GOG.

Anyway, then I ran into this glitch. Can anyone help?

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/blood_serie ... save_files

To summarize...

The zombie will hit you for (the number in brackets is after the load game):
11 hp (36 hp) - Still Kicking
15 hp (27 hp) - Pink On The Inside
18 hp (18 hp) - Lightly Broiled
22 hp (22 hp) - Well Done
26 hp (12 hp) - Extra Crispy

This basically means that I'm stuck with a helluva tough choice - play the game on the "easiest" setting and get hit for 36 damage anytime a zombie clips me or somehow play on normal... where the pitchfork doesn't even knock down a zombie.

Its essentially unplayable right now, which is a damn shame since the build architecture, weapon variety, and atmosphere all seem pretty kickass.

NoOne
Pink on the Inside

Re: Blood difficulty glitch?

Post by NoOne » Aug 13th, 2012, 20:03

Yes, im accepted. This bug exists and only if you load game. :)
NoOne

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » Aug 13th, 2012, 22:26

Narcissus wrote:Its essentially unplayable right now, which is a damn shame since the build architecture, weapon variety, and atmosphere all seem pretty kickass.
Unplayable? That is the most naive statement I have ever read.

pagb666
New user

Post by pagb666 » Aug 13th, 2012, 23:40

After reading the test, now I understand why I never noticed this bug... I ALWAYS play in Well Done :lol:

Narcissus
New user

Post by Narcissus » Aug 14th, 2012, 09:48

So is this a glitch from DOSBOX, GOG, or from the original version?

Maybe unplayable is a bit hyperbolic, but I had a pretty murderous time with the first episode. Nothing quite like quick saving room by room.

Is there any way to fix the glitch? If I die and somehow restarted with just a pitchfork would that "fix" the problem?

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Aug 14th, 2012, 10:34

Why are you saving?
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Narcissus
New user

Post by Narcissus » Aug 14th, 2012, 12:48

Habit, mainly. And I'm majorly concerned with dying and losing my entire arsenal if I so much as flick a dynamite stick the wrong way.

Even with the problems, I still find Blood to be pretty great - whoever thought of the flare gun instead of a pistol earns my eternal thanks.

But I also just don't have the free time to sit down and play a 9 level episode all the way through all at once. I'm sure that if you've played the levels before it goes much faster, but I think I spent a solid twenty minutes just dicking around with, say, the carnival level.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Aug 14th, 2012, 12:49

I honestly have never heard of this bug, sorry.

Narcissus
New user

Post by Narcissus » Aug 17th, 2012, 18:08

Found a work around - By saving right before a level's exit, you can just reboot that save to start the next level with all your weapons and normal damage. Any time you go to the next level it resets to the normal difficulty. The only time it "sticks" to the higher damage is if you load a save for a level - just that level will be affected.

Still a weird glitch, but workable!

Now that I'm wrapping up Blood (just got the two expansions to play!), I tried to get the One Unit Whole Blood launcher and... nothing. I installed it just as instructed by copying all of the Blood files into each folder, etc.

But when I click on the launcher (the .exe) nothing happens. My little blue wheel spins around and then nothing is launched. I checked the task manager and there the exe appears to run, but nothing is showing up. I'm on windows 7 with 64 bit if that has any problems.

Anyway, I'd love to play RATM, Bloodlines, and Pulp Fiction - any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Aug 18th, 2012, 06:32

Narcissus wrote:Now that I'm wrapping up Blood (just got the two expansions to play!), I tried to get the One Unit Whole Blood launcher and... nothing. I installed it just as instructed by copying all of the Blood files into each folder, etc.
Instructed where? Sounds like a weird pirate copy. Are you using DosBox?

OUWB is not an expansion.

Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Aug 18th, 2012, 14:47

Narcissus wrote:Now that I'm wrapping up Blood (just got the two expansions to play!), I tried to get the One Unit Whole Blood launcher and... nothing. I installed it just as instructed by copying all of the Blood files into each folder, etc.
You cannot make a copy of Blood where you install the Plasma Pak and Cryptic Passage to magically become "One Unit Whole Blood", it's a special version (not the "Special Version" without gore, mind you) of Blood that cannot be updated from or into.

You can only update Blood to v1.11 through patches and that requires the Plasma Pak as well. Cryptic Passage is a separate installation, though, which does not have its own version numbering.

If you want a hassle free copy of Blood and if you have a PayPal account or Visa Electron or something like that, you could just browse to GOG.com's Blood page and grab a copy there for $2.99. It comes with One Unit Whole Blood pre-installed and it works straight out of the box.

The thing is, this glitch might appear if you have installed Plasma Pak on top of the regular Blood with having manually updated the game, as Blood's patches are very unreliable and can provide some weird bugs.

Narcissus
New user

Post by Narcissus » Aug 19th, 2012, 02:20

Hey Daedolon,

Sorry, I wasn't clear about this. I'm using the GOG version to begin with, since I've had good luck with them in the past. I've gotten both cryptic passage and the post mortem add on working just fine (with bMouse, thankfully).

What I was talking about is this - http://blood.nanoaugur.net/

It apparently has a ton of the mods ready to go, but like I said, it isn't working when I follow the installation instructions.

On a totally different note, is there any way outside of running into water to avoid taking so much damage from the hell hounds? On the third episode one little bugger nearly took off 100 damage (I had a life seed) as my character sat on fire for the longest time. Does it help to run around, mash the use key, etc?

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Aug 19th, 2012, 05:18

'Prevention is better than cure' rings true in the case of hell hound projectiles. True to its namesake, fire armour can help prevent fatal damage. You would do well to avoid standing idly in the spray; as with most fire attacks in Blood, hell hound flame has a cumulative effect. It's not too bad if you can hop out of the burst quickly, but the harsh reality is that if you get taken by surprise and don't react fast enough, you will lose an enormous sum of health.

It's nasty, sure, but they are on the upper end of Blood's bestiary - nastiness guaranteed.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

SFJake
New user

Post by SFJake » Jun 25th, 2013, 20:52

I hope you people don't frown too much on necroing a topic, however I do have a reason.

I have a solution, albeit a hacky one, for this, if it bothers someone enough to through with it.

I posted it here: http://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/g ... fix_inside

Basically, it make uses of DosShark (memory editor) to edit and freeze/change the damage scaling value. Thanks to DosShark, once its set up, it takes but 5 seconds to open it and load the cheat along with Blood.

Its hacky, but it does work. You can freeze the damage scaling to whatever difficulty you're playing, or a different one (Playing Extra Crispy with the monster doing the same damage as Still Kicking, if you want all the extra monsters).

Personally, I can't live without this fix now that I know about it. Heck, I started a series of video walkthrough on Extra Crispy. Imagine my surprise now to know that all of them are not crispy at all, since I save at the beginning of every level and only load them later! God damnit!

In any case, I hope someone, somewhere finds this useful. Until the source is ever released and the glitches fixed directly, this is the only thing I can think to fix this :)