Can't View Cut Scenes Without CD Tracks

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Ella
Restraint Resistant

Can't View Cut Scenes Without CD Tracks

Post by Ella » Aug 11th, 2012, 18:24

...Nor can i turn the CD Volume down in game either.

I'm using GOG's packaged version

For some reason if i remove the Blood02 to 09 files (which are obviously the music tracks), i can't view the cut scenes in game. Is there some sort of special link between them that i'm not aware of? Because of this i'm forced to have the CD audio play in game, which would be fine if i could actually have control over the volume, which in this instance i don't. The adjustment bar does nothing.

Any idea on these problems?

Also, on a separate note, is it possible to run BMOUSE without having to go through SETUP every time? Because i'm not sure if this is how it's always been but BMOUSE wont work running through the normal Blood or Cryptic executables.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Re: Can't View Cut Scenes Without CD Tracks

Post by Daedolon » Aug 11th, 2012, 18:56

1) Cutscenes

Rename game.gog to game.iso, open it with a program of your choice (if it doesn't work as is, rename game.inst to game.cue and point it to game.iso). Extract/copy the SMK cutscenes and WAV to the installation folder.

Now edit BLOOD.INI and remove the "D:\movie\" parts from all the cutscene paths (using "replace all" saves time), so that:

CutSceneA=D:\movie\cs1.smk

becomes:

CutSceneA=cs1.smk

That way Blood will look for the cutscene files from the same directory the BLOOD.INI file resides in.

2) CD audio volume

There's a bug in the DOSBox emulation that is not compatible with the way BUILD games handle CD audio. You should use this version of DOSBox to counter this problem. It's not yet applied to the main build of DOSBox, but when 0.75 comes out, it should be fixed there as well, but until that, replace your dosbox.exe with this custom built one.

3) BMouse

Simply edit the "[autoexec]" section of your DOSBox configuration file so that instead of:

blood.exe

it says:

bmouse launch blood.exe

----
To make things easier, here's some direct links:
  • DOSBOX.EXE - the updated DOSBox build that fixes the CD audio issues
  • BLOOD.INI - the default BLOOD.INI that fixes cutscene viewing with the GOG.com version
----

Let me know if there's anything else. Hope that helps, have fun!

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Aug 11th, 2012, 19:43

Thanks! I should've known that's how to configure BMOUSE, that's how i set it up before. A small blind spot on my part.

Everything is sorted apart from the CD Audio, now it doesn't play at all. Also the Monolith and GT cutscenes don't work either, but then again i can't remember a time when they did actually.

But hey, i have tolerable mouse look and cutscenes now at least.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Aug 11th, 2012, 19:51

Oh, you need the game.inst still to exist, as it points out to the CD image (that has the cutscenes inside) and to the .ogg files as the CD audio. Just change those file names back as you already extracted the cutscenes and you should have working CD audio that you can disable by setting the volume to 0% in-game.

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Aug 11th, 2012, 20:18

Ah yes, forgot about that. That's fixed everything then. Thanks for the help, J.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Aug 12th, 2012, 02:14

Actually here's a ridiculously easy fix to the GOG's Blood issues, just extract into your GOG Blood installation and overwrite everything:
http://www.the-postmortem.com/files/gogbloodfix.zip

It's just a batch file I created that launches the game with or without bMouse, with or without CD audio and also can copy the cutscenes to the HDD so they can be viewed without the CD. It currently still needs the modified BLOOD.INI so you can't have the cutscenes just on the CD image, but I might remedy that with an actual C program that handles the same way.

Just know that you still have to set up BMOUSE.EXE in the External input method in Blood's SETUP.EXE. I'll also remedy this when I'll get to making a C program for this, I just need to find an older DOS C compiler first.

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Aug 12th, 2012, 05:59

You should check your PMs/Email. <3
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever