Blood Winter

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Lawstiker
New user
Posts: 38
Joined: Oct 14th, 2010, 09:28

Blood Winter

Post by Lawstiker » Dec 1st, 2011, 08:40

BLOOD Winter

Well, I'm sure most of you saw The winter competition thread, and a few people showed interest in this. I kinda mostly played off Kurts idea's and took some things from the Marathon Xmas projects. Either way being December 1st (here at least) its time to announce Blood Winter.

What is Blood Winter?

Blood Winter is an attempt to create a 8 level blood episode in the course of 31 days, otherwise known as the month of December. Each participant has exactly one month to get there map(s) done in that time frame.

Who can join?

Anyone is free to join, most all maps will be taken and added to the Episode. Some may be edited a bit to increase quality, seam together with other maps, etc. Just post somewhere in the thread saying your interested in making a map and your in.

How will this work?

I had the feeling some would like a more structured planned out project, but I kinda have more of an affinity to freedom here. Blood Winter will be a 8 level episode taking place along the English countryside during the winter season. The only set levels I have will be the first and the last level.

-Level 1: Will take place somewhere in the mountains, where calab has resorted away to a winter cabin hideway. While attempting to enjoy his winter slumber, the cultist decide to ruin his fun.

-Level 8: having finally traveled across the country side following the cultists and stopping there devious activities, Calab has found there underground temple where the cultist have been hard at working summoning there dark lord (this can be Tchernobog or any of the other bosses, I'll leave that to the one that takes this slot. )

As for slots 2-7? I will leave this up to the mapper. Feel free to create as you please, though do keep in mind that this takes place in winter and in a European countryside. Settings like forests, hills, villages, castles, etc would do well.

Is anything specifically needed?

A senior adviser would be much appreciated. I've been lurking and mapping around in the shadows for awhile, but I'm not a master. An adviser would be create for the editing half of this project.

When is the deadline?

The final entry date will be Jan 1. After that date the project will move on to the editing phase.

Summery
In order to join just state so in the thread. When you do, unless you are trying to take slots 1 or 8, do not state what slot you want. The maps will be pieced and edited together later. All you need to do is state what theme your going for with your map (village, castle, etc) so we don't have two people making similar maps. After that you have until jan 1 to get you map finished and submitted. Please be sure not to use up all available sectors, as we may need to add in things so the maps go together better.

Current Participants (if your already on this list, please state what theme your map will be, and if you'll be making your own map or going for map 1 or 8 )

-Lawstiker
-Dimebog
-Jerry
-Cmon
-Tedd

User avatar
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium
Posts: 4418
Joined: Apr 27th, 2004, 00:46
Location: The Door between Worlds
Contact:

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Daedalus » Dec 1st, 2011, 09:23

A good bit of planning. I hope it all holds together.
Lawstiker wrote:Is anything specifically needed?

A senior adviser would be much appreciated. I've been lurking and mapping around in the shadows for awhile, but I'm not a master. An adviser would be create for the editing half of this project.
Could you be more specific on this point?
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

NoOne
Pink on the Inside
Posts: 278
Joined: Jun 19th, 2008, 01:52
Contact:

Re: Blood Winter

Post by NoOne » Dec 1st, 2011, 11:11

NoOne here! I can include map from BAITD3 in your project.

Screenshots here
NoOne

Lawstiker
New user
Posts: 38
Joined: Oct 14th, 2010, 09:28

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Lawstiker » Dec 1st, 2011, 12:28

Daedalus wrote:
Lawstiker wrote:Is anything specifically needed?

A senior adviser would be much appreciated. I've been lurking and mapping around in the shadows for awhile, but I'm not a master. An adviser would be create for the editing half of this project.
Could you be more specific on this point?
Basically I want someone who's experienced with mapping and the finer point of how map design comes together to help oversee the editing part. What I'd like is to have someone just take a look at all the submitted maps, give opinions on what needs improved, best way to seam them together, etc. The Adviser doesn't really have to edit or rework any of the maps if they don't want to, just advise.
NoOne wrote:NoOne here! I can include map from BAITD3 in your project.

Screenshots here
Hmm, that seems ok with me as long as your fine with taking a map from you project.

User avatar
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium
Posts: 4418
Joined: Apr 27th, 2004, 00:46
Location: The Door between Worlds
Contact:

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Daedalus » Dec 1st, 2011, 13:33

A role I was born to play.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

User avatar
Tedd
New user
Posts: 37
Joined: Mar 20th, 2010, 03:59

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Tedd » Dec 1st, 2011, 16:09

Good !
I opt for the level 1 !

User avatar
Jerry
Still Kicking
Posts: 121
Joined: Jan 1st, 2010, 23:25
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Jerry » Dec 1st, 2011, 18:43

As I said before my map will be most likely smaller than other ones, I hope this won't be an obstruction. :wink:
My map should be somewhere in the middle of the episode. I would like to make an urban map - a snowy city.
I want Jo-Jo! I want Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo! JO-JOOOO!

User avatar
Dimebog
Troll of the Opera
Posts: 2165
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 15:48
Contact:

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Dimebog » Dec 1st, 2011, 18:47

I'd love to do a village or small town during nighttime with access to docks. End level switch could be on a boat taking you off to the next level. Is there a place for this?

Two suggestions:

1. Perhaps we should all agree on whatever weapons in total will be available throughout the campaign and which weapon should be introduced in which level.

2. It is a good practice to always start building a level so that it is at least initially playable with pitchfork.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

User avatar
Le Babe
Well Done
Posts: 1745
Joined: Dec 3rd, 2008, 17:23
Location: FRANCE

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Le Babe » Dec 2nd, 2011, 00:26

I think we should try to put all the weapons, including the most powerful ones, but with limited ammo for napalm and such so that they can't be easily abused.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb
Image

Lawstiker
New user
Posts: 38
Joined: Oct 14th, 2010, 09:28

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Lawstiker » Dec 2nd, 2011, 15:07

Daedalus wrote:A role I was born to play.
Then welcome aboard! Feel free to sit back and watch the show until then :)
Tedd wrote:Good !
I opt for the level 1 !
Good luck man!
Jerry wrote:As I said before my map will be most likely smaller than other ones, I hope this won't be an obstruction. :wink:
My map should be somewhere in the middle of the episode. I would like to make an urban map - a snowy city.
noted, and it certainly isn't and obstruction at all :)
Dimebog wrote:I'd love to do a village or small town during nighttime with access to docks. End level switch could be on a boat taking you off to the next level. Is there a place for this?

Two suggestions:

1. Perhaps we should all agree on whatever weapons in total will be available throughout the campaign and which weapon should be introduced in which level.

2. It is a good practice to always start building a level so that it is at least initially playable with pitchfork.
There certainly is, go on ahead with that idea! No matter what the idea, I'll make all the maps fit together regardless in the end.

Those where good suggestions...hmm, for the moment I'll go with Le Babes idea. If you want to include higher powered weapons, make them secret. Try and focus on making the map playable by using the more common lesser weapons.

User avatar
Dimebog
Troll of the Opera
Posts: 2165
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 15:48
Contact:

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Dimebog » Dec 2nd, 2011, 15:19

I'll start working on the map as soon as I have time.

In the meantime, I think you should all join the IRC.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

User avatar
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium
Posts: 4418
Joined: Apr 27th, 2004, 00:46
Location: The Door between Worlds
Contact:

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Daedalus » Dec 2nd, 2011, 15:37

Lawstiker wrote:Then welcome aboard! Feel free to sit back and watch the show until then :)
*Leans back in throne.*
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Lawstiker
New user
Posts: 38
Joined: Oct 14th, 2010, 09:28

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Lawstiker » Dec 4th, 2011, 03:26

Dimebog wrote:
In the meantime, I think you should all join the IRC.
I'll pop in sometime after this weekend.

Bloatoid
Pink on the Inside
Posts: 175
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:51

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Bloatoid » Dec 15th, 2011, 17:17

Any updates on this? December is halfway over!

Lawstiker
New user
Posts: 38
Joined: Oct 14th, 2010, 09:28

Re: Blood Winter

Post by Lawstiker » Dec 17th, 2011, 12:57

I to have been wondering about how everyone has been doing. So far I'm estimating I'm 40% or so done with this mountain temple-esque map I've been working on.

Post Reply