DEATH WISH Discussion

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Re: DEATH WISH Discussion

Post by kurt » May 2nd, 2012, 02:25

Dimebog wrote:I think it's just a matter of common courtesy that switches in BLOOD are placed at eye-level similarly as how people place them in real life - it wouldn't make much sense for them to be placed at say, hip-level as you don't operate them with your junk.
What does common courtesy have to do with anything? Most "switches" in real life are actually at hip level, if you haven't noticed. A keyboard and computer are on a desk. A telephone and a lamp are on a table. Even a wall light switch is placed beneath your eye level in real life. All of these things are located beneath eye level unless you're a midget. It actually does make sense for them to be where they are in real life. You don't need to "operate them with your junk" but you can certainly use the keyboard to look up and down in Blood if you don't want to use a mouse.

Bloatoid was nice enough to create an excellent addon for everyone's enjoyment, and criticizing nonsense is certainly not the ideal way to show appreciation, in my opinion. I think its just a matter of common courtesy.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » May 2nd, 2012, 03:27

I wasn't criticizing.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » May 2nd, 2012, 04:14

@Dimebog

So maybe the secret button in the Hall of Epiphany should be placed at eye level for common courtesy? (sorry about all the rhetorical questions). It's not that I don't understand where you are coming from, believe me, I do. I use to play without mouselook myself and activating switches that there were below eye level was always a challenge. However, I do not think it is that big of deal. It probably takes more effort to replace all the switches at eye level (not that anyone was suggesting that) than it does to bend your ass over (pardon my language) and press the button.

:wink:

Bloatoid
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bloatoid » May 3rd, 2012, 06:48

If someone wants to make a list of the offending switches I can go back and fix them the next time I update (as long as there aren't a ton of them).

pagb666
New user

Post by pagb666 » May 9th, 2012, 00:40

You are taking this completely out of context... First, I wasn't complaining, I was asking why community mappers tend to put switches below the crosshair, where in every map from retail blood 99% of them are placed at the right height (not counting secret ones of course, they aren't at the right height for that reason, they are meant to be harder to reach).

And this is a game, and it is a matter of gameplay and flow... so stop comparing with reality.

kurt
.PSD

Post by kurt » May 9th, 2012, 01:23

pagb666 wrote:You are taking this completely out of context... First, I wasn't complaining...
Its fine with me if you don't want to play with a mouse. It's also fine with me if you feel that its too much effort to actually use the keyboard to look up and down. But please don't try to tell me that you weren't complaining because you actually admitted that you had a complaint, in your very own words!
pagb666 wrote:I only have one complain: Why do you hate non-mouselookers? Many switches were an inch below my crosshair :(
Furthermore, I did not bring up reality. Dimebog felt all switches in Blood should be placed at eye level like they are in reality. Apparently in reality Dimebog is only 2 feet tall, and all switches are level with his eyes. Common courtesy dictated that requirement. He wasn't criticizing either.

Please don't waste my time or anyone elses in listening to your frivolous complaints of nonsense, and your subsequent denial of actually complaining or criticizing. Bloatoid created a wonderful addon that he didn't even have to share with you if he didn't want to. Personally, I don't think he should have to change a thing for you or anyone else.

pagb666
New user

Post by pagb666 » May 9th, 2012, 20:34

That was possibly one of the very few gaps for improvement that Bloatoid could take on account for his next project... If you are on a campaign against it, fine by me.

kurt
.PSD

Post by kurt » May 9th, 2012, 22:12

pagb666 wrote:... If you are on a campaign against it, fine by me.
I'm not the one posting complaints of nonsense here. Apparently you feel it's Bloatoid's fault that you don't like to use a mouse or keyboard to look up and down, so Bloatoid should change for you. Obviously that also makes me on a campaign against you and Bloatoid's next project. :roll:

You were given an excellent addon at no cost to you, yet you feel the need to complain. Of course you aren't complaining about anything, as you already stated. Then you expect that the creator will actually want to create even more free projects for you in the future, and to also customize the gameplay to accommodate your own personal preferences!

Yes, Bloatoid needs to improve for you, to fill those gaps, and I should end my campaign. Amazing, how you continue to add even more nonsense to your posts. I think it best that anything more you have to say is ignored.

Good day.

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » May 10th, 2012, 02:48

Pagb666, I don't want to promote another argument but Kurt has a point (a good and logical point). No need to make any more remarks. We understand where you are coming from.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » May 10th, 2012, 16:11

kurt, may I ask why are you still referring to what I've said? How come I'm still part of this discussion?
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » Jul 7th, 2012, 02:56

"Coop compatible" Death Wish coming soon. :wink: I'm not sure if the levels will be properly setup for bloodbath or teams. Ask SpillSome if you see him on Meltdown. He told me he's working on episode 3. I sent him the link to this thread so he could see Gargoyle's analysis.

Tofu
New user

Post by Tofu » Mar 15th, 2014, 18:10

This mod is one of the greatest fucking things I've ever played in my life - let alone add-ons, let alone fan-made add-ons; it trounces professionally released games far and wide. It's nothing short of incredible and I believe the creator is a genius. Thank you so much Bloatoid. I hope you release a sequel for it some day.

Btw Bloatoid, if you happen to be reading this, I read from your blog that you're planning on releasing an update some day where you plan on making it easier. I'd just like to say that I felt that the difficulty on Well Done was absolutely perfect and in my opinion it doesn't need tweaking. I can't speak for EC or the other difficulty modes though. Just saying that WD was exquisite as it was. I plan on playing it again on EC some time in the near future.

Thanks again m8.

Bloatoid
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bloatoid » Mar 19th, 2014, 07:19

Tofu wrote:This mod is one of the greatest fucking things I've ever played in my life - let alone add-ons, let alone fan-made add-ons; it trounces professionally released games far and wide. It's nothing short of incredible and I believe the creator is a genius. Thank you so much Bloatoid. I hope you release a sequel for it some day.

Btw Bloatoid, if you happen to be reading this, I read from your blog that you're planning on releasing an update some day where you plan on making it easier. I'd just like to say that I felt that the difficulty on Well Done was absolutely perfect and in my opinion it doesn't need tweaking. I can't speak for EC or the other difficulty modes though. Just saying that WD was exquisite as it was. I plan on playing it again on EC some time in the near future.

Thanks again m8.
Just tweaking enemies here and there, adding a few life essences to stave off save spamming, and revamping areas or adding new stuff as sector limitations allow. I'm also fixing up any glitches/mistakes that I've seen in youtube playthroughs. I finished all of episode 1 but haven't gotten to 2 or 3 yet because I've been busy with my own game studio for the last year. It sounds like you're ready for Extra Crispy though :twisted:

I updated the first 2 Hostile Takeover maps to "Death Wish" quality a while ago, too, but that would have to be part of a different project, I guess. I wouldn't redo all of that add-on since the maps are hit and miss.

Tofu
New user

Post by Tofu » Mar 19th, 2014, 17:26

Bloatoid wrote:
Tofu wrote:This mod is one of the greatest fucking things I've ever played in my life - let alone add-ons, let alone fan-made add-ons; it trounces professionally released games far and wide. It's nothing short of incredible and I believe the creator is a genius. Thank you so much Bloatoid. I hope you release a sequel for it some day.

Thanks again m8.
Just tweaking enemies here and there, adding a few life essences to stave off save spamming, and revamping areas or adding new stuff as sector limitations allow. I'm also fixing up any glitches/mistakes that I've seen in youtube playthroughs. I finished all of episode 1 but haven't gotten to 2 or 3 yet because I've been busy with my own game studio for the last year. It sounds like you're ready for Extra Crispy though :twisted:

I updated the first 2 Hostile Takeover maps to "Death Wish" quality a while ago, too, but that would have to be part of a different project, I guess. I wouldn't redo all of that add-on since the maps are hit and miss.
Man... fuck. Those levels you made were just insane... so much great stuff, I really don't know where to begin. 'The Thing' reference level was truly a thing of beauty. It fit with the theme of Blood so well, especially in regard to how the original game made constant references to all those old horror films. I think my absolute favourite map was 'The Black Tower' though, which of course was totally original, and to me it outdid everything in the original game. The final level was also absurdly good. That last fight with Tchernobog, jesus christ.

I won't be able to play video games now for an absurdly long period of time (well, only until June, actually, which sucks 'cause I'm missing out on Dark Souls II) but when I do I'm gonna replay Death Wish and put up an extremely detailed review of why I loved the game so much on moddb. I can't put into words right now haha. I'll put up a playthrough of the game as well to accompany the review.

Anyway, all the best man, and I do really hope you make a new Blood mod soon. It's amazing that you made this all these years later after the official game's release, too, and the fact that it was free on top of it. I'm just really appreciative of your efforts. What's your game studio? I wish you all the success in the world with it!

Cyanosis
New user

Post by Cyanosis » Apr 26th, 2014, 03:51

Last time I played this I think it was v1.1 or something, back in 2012. All I can say is it is hard for me to love every single map of a one man effort for a full game replacement. But Bloatoid somehow managed to work something frighteningly supernatural, given working with BUILD and the quality of the map design (and the wide range of scenarios!). It easily surpasses a majority of the third-party addons sold as commercial expansions for many FPS. Had you released this way back in the day, I'm positive you'd of gotten a job for it! Superb set in its own right, but re-using old content and making it new through clever usage of BUILD's visual tricks (alternate palettes, sprites and effects used in ways never thought of) just made it all the much better experience. Had it not been for Blood II, I'd say this would be the real sequel to Blood! 5/5.