What's so bad about Dead Reckoning?

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Six
New user

What's so bad about Dead Reckoning?

Post by Six » Aug 31st, 2011, 12:34

First, hello.

Second, as the title exclaims. What is it (in your opinion) that makes the fourth episode 'Dead Reckoning' terrible? That is to say you do find it bad.

A couple of friends that have ploughed through Blood have given their own critique to this particular episode, and in comparison to the first 3, they said it fails in 3 levels. Consistency, detail, and design were the let downs apparently. In some regard i can agree, but as bad as some of the choices were, i can still have fun in Dead Reckoning and it still remains (at least to me) a respective part of Blood. The game as a whole is extremely well executed, even during the bad times. To me it's hard to nitpick anything when the quality still remains evident even through a "bland" map.

So in my own opinion, the 4th episode is still great. Even if it shows signs of tiredness from the developers point, the nostalgia remains.

Favourite map: Crystal Lake.

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Re: What's so bad about Dead Reckoning?

Post by Ella » Aug 31st, 2011, 17:50

It's not bad, as such. The trouble with dead reckoning is that you can definitely tell that less heart and enthusiasm went into designing it. Whether it were rushed and kicked out the door due to a deadline, i don't personally know, but i agree that it's still a rich part of Blood, and to me that's more than enough.

Although, it does have some consistency, at least when it comes to 'map to map' continuity.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Aug 31st, 2011, 18:07

Has any of our mighty skilled map tweakers and map makers tried to release a more stylistically "consistent" version of the episode?

The last level especially could do with a lot of work. As it currently stands, it feels like a very rushed job.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Aug 31st, 2011, 21:33

It's not so much that the maps lack continuity, it's just that the episode has no overarching specific theme which it adheres to. There are plenty of nuances throughout, and many of the maps found in Dead Reckoning are far older than some here may suspect, but its 'issues' run deeper than that.

Panoptic - One of the issues is touched by you indirectly here. While I could readily go and somehow attach all the maps together, that wouldn't solve some of the episode's deeper problems. The most glaring example is probably the palette issue. There's no consistency to be found in Dead Reckoning's whole, and it is impossible to fix such a thing without changing the maps completely.

Put simply; Dead Reckoning is made up of various residual (and in some cases primordial) Blood components which by definition cannot work as a whole. You cannot give a woman both a boxing glove and a bouquet as a gift at the same time - it is a simple law of good practice.

Lest I appear too harsh though, Dead Reckoning still has plenty going for it. There are a lot of fine details to be found in most of the maps and the balance is, with a few tiny exceptions, true to Blood's legacy. It just falls a little flat when the entire game has built up to this climax and the final delivery is not as perfect as the earlier episodes.

Having answered your question, I now raise one to you. Why have you not yet convinced these friends of yours to join The Postmortem? Fresh sacrifices are always required, and even if you have to trick them, I think we would all appreciate the gesture.

All in all, it's a shame to see yet another thread centred around criticism. I'd much rather see a thread with the title; Why's Dead Reckoning so damn great? 8)
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Aug 31st, 2011, 21:52

Panoptic Blur wrote:Has any of our mighty skilled map tweakers and map makers tried to release a more stylistically "consistent" version of the episode?
A more "consistent and "accurate" version of the final level is a life mission for some.
Spoiler: show

Dead Reckoning is still a great episode though, in my opinion.

I'll attempt to trick some of my friends if you like, Matt. :D

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Aug 31st, 2011, 22:12

I laughed out loud for about thirty seconds straight.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Sep 1st, 2011, 12:45

Daedalus wrote:All in all, it's a shame to see yet another thread centred around criticism. I'd much rather see a thread with the title; Why's Dead Reckoning so damn great? 8)
Well, it didn't technically have to be.

Six, i think what Matt meant to say in his explanation is that dead reckoning is super awesome and that your friends just don't appreciate Blood in all aspects, especially dead reckoning with its unique design and innovation.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Sep 1st, 2011, 13:35

Hm, yes, you're quite right. The thread just seemed to operate from a negative standpoint in its presentation, but it's on the right track. All is well.

Panoptic! Hundred word essay on why Butchery Loves Company is fantastic - go!

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Sep 1st, 2011, 13:58

I vote we rename this thread to "How Dead Reckoning Made Me Its Bitch."

:lol:

Six
New user

Post by Six » Sep 1st, 2011, 14:14

Ella wrote:Six, i think what Matt meant to say in his explanation is that dead reckoning is super awesome and that your friends just don't appreciate Blood in all aspects, especially dead reckoning with its unique design and innovation.

I agree! I personally like the episode. The others may have more detail, a better theme (one that has consistency), but it still has its charm. I like how it displayed a lot of experimentation, where you can see the designers weren't really afraid to play about with texture choices and overall layout.

I would bring my friends here, but they're not so good with forums, or online communities in general, so it's just me i'm afraid. You guys would be better off if they weren't here really :P

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Sep 1st, 2011, 14:47

NAto wrote:I vote we rename this thread to "How Dead Reckoning Made Me Its Bitch."

I see a pattern developing. At this rate we'll have 'bitch' in every single Blood thread's title.

Kurt! Bring forth the bitches.. uh, friends I mean, friends!

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Sep 1st, 2011, 15:03

Only ones where Blood made someone its bitch :D

Having said that, I think Six's intentions were good in making this thread.

Six
New user

Post by Six » Sep 1st, 2011, 16:42

If it helps, i was hoping for praise , which was presented. The thread was to question why people had this dislike towards the 4th episode, because as what has been noted, it really isn't bad, it's just different.

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » Sep 4th, 2011, 05:07

Personally, I believe all sides of an argument should be present when discussing blood. Blood isn't perfect and you have to recognize that. If something is perfect then it has no room for improvement. It's weird how the first three episodes are amazing yet the fourth episode is a major let down. I enjoy nothing from that episode other than In The Flesh and the introduction of Tchernabog as an enemy.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Sep 4th, 2011, 05:09

I like super mario brothers
LOL HI!