XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by Daedolon » Sep 25th, 2011, 23:35

I'm more worried about the very floaty movement, it doesn't seem to match at all. Plus the pitchfork animation does not match up.

These are the things that are surely to be the biggest problems of anyone who tries to recreate Blood. It's so full of tiny programming tricks almost everybody do not even realize exist until you see them missing.

luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer

Post by luciusDXL » Sep 26th, 2011, 00:05

Daedolon wrote:I'm more worried about the very floaty movement, it doesn't seem to match at all. Plus the pitchfork animation does not match up.

These are the things that are surely to be the biggest problems of anyone who tries to recreate Blood. It's so full of tiny programming tricks almost everybody do not even realize exist until you see them missing.
Fortunately these aspects are still very much WIP. I realize that things aren't quite there yet but thought it'd be nice to show something anyway.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Sep 26th, 2011, 02:08

It does look very promising though.

Are you sure the palette is working correctly? It looks like some browns are too yellow but I could be wrong. Maybe the fact that it is 32bit so the colours are deeper is playing tricks on my eyes.

With regards to physics and Ai, feel free to contact me if I can help you. We studied those a great deal and I have a pretty good grasp on some of those less obvious mechanics.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer

Post by luciusDXL » Sep 26th, 2011, 08:08

Dimebog wrote:It does look very promising though.

Are you sure the palette is working correctly? It looks like some browns are too yellow but I could be wrong. Maybe the fact that it is 32bit so the colours are deeper is playing tricks on my eyes.

With regards to physics and Ai, feel free to contact me if I can help you. We studied those a great deal and I have a pretty good grasp on some of those less obvious mechanics.
No your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. Unfortunately it is due to the way the colors are interpolated for 32bit color. There's not much I can do for about it in the fixed function, however there will be options that will make the shading/distance fall-off much closer if your GPU can handle it (which would be any modern GPU). :)

RoyBatty
New user

Post by RoyBatty » Sep 29th, 2011, 18:13

It looks awesome to me lucius, I can't wait to start beta testing =]

Sir Seizhak
Pink on the Inside

Post by Sir Seizhak » Oct 18th, 2011, 13:24

Cabal's Return Add-On. Wait for it.

BloodHispano. The best Spanish Blood website!

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Nov 30th, 2011, 20:26

Any updates on this project?

Sir Seizhak
Pink on the Inside

Post by Sir Seizhak » Dec 30th, 2011, 22:50

Read the forums ;)
Cabal's Return Add-On. Wait for it.

BloodHispano. The best Spanish Blood website!

axl_rose
New user

Post by axl_rose » Jan 12th, 2016, 23:32

Anyone seen these recent updates?

http://xlengine.com/blog/

" So it is going well and the pace is very promising for meeting my goals of getting a build out near the beginning of this year. And to be clear that 50% is overall, meaning that all the games are made good progress towards completion (Daggerfall, Dark Forces and Blood), though it obviously, and intentionally, doesn’t indicate which are further along."

Engine – 90%
Game Support – 50%

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Jan 14th, 2016, 16:21

There's a lot going on with this project that I'm genuinely enthusiastic about, specially the fact that he's shooting for accuracy (even to the point of reverse-engineering, the real stumbling block), rather than leave it to die another fancy resource manager. It just kills me that any effort is being poured into anything that isn't Blood, but that's his business.

Any Blood news is good news, specially when it's good news indeed 8)