XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
User avatar
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer
Posts: 47
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 00:19
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by luciusDXL » Aug 28th, 2011, 01:30

So I implemented the fixed function version of depth cueing. I have a plan to better emulate the effect of the color maps when running in hardware, but it turns out it's a little too expensive for fixed function (i.e. 3 textures on every surface). Given the point of fixed function, I decided it'd be better to use the built in fog hardware and save the improved color map support for cards that support shaders.

The vast majority of people will have GPU's that support at least basic shaders (SM 1.1+), so the lighting and depth cueing will look better for most people. But first I'm going to get the fixed function render, which I've been showing so far, complete before worrying about putting shader support back in.

You can see the fixed-function depth cueing here:
[Before / After]
Image Image

Another screenshot for fun:
Image

All the basic rendering elements are in place, so the next step is to go through and fix bugs - such as occasional alignment issues with floors and walls. Once the rendering is robust I'll get the other projects rendering everything again - which should go much quicker since most of the engine work is done. :)

Finally once all the projects are properly rendering using the fixed function path, I'll add the shader path back in - with improved lighting and color map support - and then move on to getting the gameplay ready for the release.

User avatar
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer
Posts: 47
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 00:19
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by luciusDXL » Aug 29th, 2011, 10:18

Before the release, I plan on doing a video showing the stuff I have working so far.

Is there anything you'd like to see in particular, through screenshots or the video?

User avatar
Le Babe
Well Done
Posts: 1745
Joined: Dec 3rd, 2008, 17:23
Location: FRANCE

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by Le Babe » Aug 29th, 2011, 14:28

Just go through E1M1, E1M8 and E2M1, those levels aren't too big and they show lots of build techniques.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb
Image

Alex2501
Still Kicking
Posts: 65
Joined: Jul 10th, 2011, 09:18

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by Alex2501 » Aug 29th, 2011, 15:05

The first level and carnival level.

User avatar
Dimebog
Troll of the Opera
Posts: 2165
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 15:48
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by Dimebog » Aug 30th, 2011, 14:37

Are there going to be different levels of depth cueing to accommodate the need for variations seen in the retail levels?

I am not 100% sure how it works, but you can test the different intensities in mapedit. BLOOD has a fixed scale and I am not sure how the algorithm works exaclty. I know the Build engine allows some sophisticated parameters such as the distance between the camera and where the cueing begins, and then it's intensity, separately (as seen in Duke3D).
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

User avatar
Daedolon
Supervillain outcast
Posts: 3338
Joined: Mar 28th, 2004, 14:06
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by Daedolon » Aug 30th, 2011, 14:44

I want to see how XL reacts to sectors sharing the same space.
Image

User avatar
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer
Posts: 47
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 00:19
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by luciusDXL » Aug 30th, 2011, 20:33

Dimebog wrote:Are there going to be different levels of depth cueing to accommodate the need for variations seen in the retail levels?

I am not 100% sure how it works, but you can test the different intensities in mapedit. BLOOD has a fixed scale and I am not sure how the algorithm works exaclty. I know the Build engine allows some sophisticated parameters such as the distance between the camera and where the cueing begins, and then it's intensity, separately (as seen in Duke3D).
The visibility value can be set on surfaces and sectors which then affects the depth cueing. Different levels of depth cueing will certainly be supported. While fixed function is stuck with a linear approximation, which still looks good, the shader path will be more accurate.

User avatar
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer
Posts: 47
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 00:19
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by luciusDXL » Aug 30th, 2011, 20:41

Daedolon wrote:I want to see how XL reacts to sectors sharing the same space.
This is from DarkXL, but:

Overlapping sectors with adjoins (aka red lines) that connect them.
Image

If you have somewhere in Blood that has overlapping sectors you'd like to see, just let me know.

User avatar
Suture
Doin' Thangs
Posts: 96
Joined: May 25th, 2011, 01:02
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by Suture » Aug 31st, 2011, 16:59

The Trainstation in Blood, I can't remember it's exact level name, but it's in the first episode and I think it's the second level. The bookstore has a ceiling section that can be blown up.
Dimebog wrote:Start fearing my dick and stop spamming.

User avatar
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium
Posts: 4418
Joined: Apr 27th, 2004, 00:46
Location: The Door between Worlds
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by Daedalus » Aug 31st, 2011, 17:03

... you can't be serious.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

User avatar
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer
Posts: 47
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 00:19
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by luciusDXL » Aug 31st, 2011, 21:30

Joebama wrote:The Trainstation in Blood, I can't remember it's exact level name, but it's in the first episode and I think it's the second level. The bookstore has a ceiling section that can be blown up.
Oh you mean the stacked sector effect? I show that many times already in this thread. The screenshots above of E1M1 show the effect in the outside area. On the previous page I've shown the effect several times as well.

For example (from a post earlier in this thread):
Image
Vertical adjoin issues fixed.
Daedalus wrote:... you can't be serious.
What do you mean?

User avatar
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium
Posts: 4418
Joined: Apr 27th, 2004, 00:46
Location: The Door between Worlds
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by Daedalus » Aug 31st, 2011, 21:37

luciusDXL wrote:What do you mean?
Wasn't a criticism for you. Keep up the good work.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

User avatar
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer
Posts: 47
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 00:19
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by luciusDXL » Aug 31st, 2011, 21:40

Daedalus wrote:Wasn't a criticism for you. Keep up the good work.
Ok, I understand the context of your post now. Thanks for the vote of encouragement. :)

kurt
.PSD
Posts: 1410
Joined: Nov 12th, 2007, 04:21
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by kurt » Aug 31st, 2011, 21:53

I'd just like to say that I think you're doing a great job.

Keep up the good work.
Image

User avatar
Jerry
Still Kicking
Posts: 121
Joined: Jan 1st, 2010, 23:25
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update

Post by Jerry » Sep 1st, 2011, 00:09

kurt wrote:I'd just like to say that I think you're doing a great job.

Keep up the good work.
I agree!
I want Jo-Jo! I want Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo! JO-JOOOO!

Post Reply