Random quirks in Blood

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Panoptic Blur » Feb 15th, 2011, 02:48

Thanks for the info on the disappearing zombies and the pitchfork damage!

Another anomaly. I'm in the Power Plant level in episode 3 (right after the Catacombs) and there is a U-shaped block with fire armor on it and chains that moves around a pit of molten metal.

Somehow, the top surface of this block appears to have become disconnected from the block itself and is moving around independently.

"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Feb 15th, 2011, 09:15

Result of a desynchronisation in Blood's trigger system. This is probably the bug which hits me the hardest.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Feb 15th, 2011, 21:38

That's pretty cool, though.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Feb 16th, 2011, 01:12

I am convinced that Ep3 has some of the greatest level design in the entire game. I love the Power Plant and Catacombs, and I just killed Cerberus after going through Monster Bait again.

Monster Bait is probably my favorite level of the episode. Something about the level design melds underground obscurity (with Cultists sniping from riverside cliffs and crannies) and industrial modernism (power plant turbines and elevators, and ominous slow-opening doors).

Just a really great atmospheric level all round - lots of fun to play on Extra Crispy.

I fought Cerberus and it got stuck at the start of the fight. It was just walking around in circles in the lava, allowing me to empty all Tesla shots, Voodoo Doll charge, and Tommy Gun into it before it even started walking towards me. I don't think it did this in version 1.00 of the game.

Also, near the end, I was crouching on a low cliff shooting it with Shotgun blasts. It would try to hit me with its napalm blast, but it would hit the cliffside instead. After a few shots, it collapsed and died. I think Cerberus just killed itself - I'm pretty sure my shotgun blasts weren't connecting with it.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Feb 16th, 2011, 09:17

Interesting. You're the first person I've seen who praises latter E3.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Feb 16th, 2011, 13:55

I'm not a big fan of Ep2 or Ep4 (although individual levels within them I do like - the Overlooked Hotel is a big hit with me). I like Ep1 and the latter parts of Ep3 a lot though.

The last level of Cryptic Passage is amazing too. I wish the original end of game boss in Blood had a level that amazing and otherworldly, instead of a "temple sealed in stone" like it finally got. Probably the design team was up against a release deadline.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Feb 16th, 2011, 15:11

Panoptic Blur wrote:Just a really great atmospheric level all round - lots of fun to play on Extra Crispy.
I thought you were kidding...
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Feb 17th, 2011, 03:29

Yeah, Daedalus mentioned it too.

Now, onto Episode 4! I'm finding myself much better at avoiding the attacks of the Hell Hounds now. Before, when I was playing on easier difficulty, it didn't matter too much if I got set on fire because I'd usually survive it. Now on Extra Crispy, prevention is much better than cure. I'm learning how to avoid the streams of fire by jumping, strafing, and even timing my attacks carefully to knock them back. Still a pain in the neck, though - and I usually save my Tesla shots for them specially to tag them while they're still far away.

There's a wonderful bit in Breeding Grounds (Ep4L2) where you can see Gill Beasts swimming around outside at eye level, because they're in a tank separated from you by glass. You can Voodoo them through the glass safely, which I always thought was a really inspired fusion of weapon design and level layout. Sadly, in Blood 2 the Voodoo doll doesn't work that way - trying to "shoot through glass" just hurts you.

The first level, Butchery Loves Company, is surprisingly easy even on Extra Crispy. Makes for a significant change of pace from Ep3L1, which I found very challenging throughout - probably because it was also a much longer level.

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Feb 17th, 2011, 16:55

I also tend to keep the Tesla canon for Hell Hounds only, and sometimes Cheogs if I don't have a Voodoo doll.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Mar 17th, 2011, 12:32

I once had an Acolyte and Zombie chase each other in an endless circle on E6M1, however this shenanigan was outwitted by another scenario involving the entire trio of Acolytes becoming lodged near a victim then spectacularly blowing everyone to pieces when an opening could be formed. Secondly, a Cultist within the aisles somehow ended up near the beginning of the map, I think he may have walked through the wall again, accursed gallivanters.

Callum Sanderson
New user

Post by Callum Sanderson » Mar 17th, 2011, 19:03

Spoiler: show

Drakan
Well Done

Post by Drakan » Mar 27th, 2011, 15:33

Has anyone ever left Shipwrecked only to wind up on the Wrong Side of The Tracks?
Life is a privilege...Death is a promise...

Jerry
Still Kicking

Post by Jerry » Mar 27th, 2011, 16:27

Drakan wrote:Has anyone ever left Shipwrecked only to wind up on the Wrong Side of The Tracks?
Yes, but only once and because I changed blood.ini. :D
I want Jo-Jo! I want Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo! JO-JOOOO!

Drakan
Well Done

Post by Drakan » Mar 30th, 2011, 08:36

That makes it all the more interesting because I never have. It's only been a one off.
Life is a privilege...Death is a promise...

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Apr 8th, 2011, 22:12

Dance off!