Random quirks in Blood

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
User avatar
Panoptic Blur
Well Done
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sep 6th, 2010, 02:44

Random quirks in Blood

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 24th, 2011, 01:20

I was running around with minimal health, and no ammunition left except my TNT.

I saw a grey cultist and I prepared to throw the TNT, but he shot and killed me.

As I was lying supine, my hands still held the lighter and the TNT bundle, which was now alight and burning down.

The grey cultist and his friends came over to make sure I was dead, when my TNT went off, taking them with me.

I wonder if this happens in multiplayer as well.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

User avatar
Maligned
Still Kicking
Posts: 52
Joined: Mar 17th, 2010, 14:59

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Maligned » Jan 24th, 2011, 01:41

Sure enough that does happen in multiplayer (be it cooperative or Bloodbath).

There is a small window where you can still fire off a few shots before respawning or in this case if you're still holding TNT or a spray can they will explode.

With the various bugs that comes with Blood's version of the build engine it's normally best to let the TNT go off before you respawn, otherwise the hissing sound from the fuse will be in a continuous loop for roughly 20+ minutes unless you restart the level.
Life begins and ends with Nu...

YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/Aichmorhabdophobia

User avatar
Panoptic Blur
Well Done
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sep 6th, 2010, 02:44

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 24th, 2011, 04:49

Gargoyles that spawn from statues leave no corpses.

A few cultists in The Overlooked Hotel (near the banister and staircase leading down into the ballroom with the secret level exit pentagram) are flat 2-D from the wrong direction. If you're observant, you can see them "phase" in and out of view as they turn their nonexistent edge towards you.

On Extra Crispy difficulty, it can take upwards of five minutes' work with the pitchfork to kill the Cheoghs at the end of Episode 1. This is even assuming you've picked up all the ammunition and used that first.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

User avatar
Panoptic Blur
Well Done
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sep 6th, 2010, 02:44

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 24th, 2011, 22:44

On Extra Crispy, there are two Shials at the end of Episode 2. You only need to kill the one on the right in order to complete the level.

(Something similar may apply to the two Cheoghs in Episode 1, as well. I had to kill them both but it's possible that I killed the "wrong" one first.)


Gargoyles falling into water will die. So Gill Beasts will die if they attempt to leave the water too, but in other places they get out just fine.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

User avatar
Krypto
Well Done
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sep 14th, 2006, 18:24
Contact:

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Krypto » Feb 1st, 2011, 21:40

Is that left wall meant to be misaligned? :D Bad Monolith bad! xD

Image

User avatar
Daedolon
Supervillain outcast
Posts: 3338
Joined: Mar 28th, 2004, 14:06
Contact:

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Daedolon » Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:36

Actually BUILD tends to do that if you use the auto-align tool and there are a lot of height differences and "O" textures on the walls, so I wouldn't blame Monolith until I checked if it's what I think it is.
Image

User avatar
MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled
Posts: 923
Joined: Oct 11th, 2008, 17:01
Location: In another dimension!
Contact:

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by MoonStalkeR » Feb 6th, 2011, 00:03

Blood's spiders bleed red ingame and their sprites show red blood, contrary to real spiders or Shial depicted in the cutscene. Blood colors probably weren't available or weren't payed attention to, but the spiders came to my attention nonetheless.

Are differentiated blood colors possible in eduke?
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

User avatar
Krypto
Well Done
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sep 14th, 2006, 18:24
Contact:

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Krypto » Feb 10th, 2011, 22:15

If the Zealot is dealt a non-lethal blow he has a tendancy to suddenly go prone and launch a ceaseless barrage towards the facing direction while becoming completely oblivious of Caleb's presense, only when struck again does he recover from this traumatic expulsion of boiling rage. I've had this occur five times now which leads to me speculate the possibility that a mechanical response to arbitrary stimuli may be evident of not necessarily flawed, but prodigous A.I programming.

Image

User avatar
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium
Posts: 4418
Joined: Apr 27th, 2004, 00:46
Location: The Door between Worlds
Contact:

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Daedalus » Feb 11th, 2011, 09:28

Haha, why'd you have to demonstrate a bug on one of my old maps? (:

This bug I'm quite familiar with, and it's probably the only bug of Blood that I don't like - it's just plain sloppy.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

User avatar
Panoptic Blur
Well Done
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sep 6th, 2010, 02:44

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Panoptic Blur » Feb 12th, 2011, 02:27

One type of Zombie stands up from lying down (as opposed to "digging themselves out of graves").

In some cases, they will vanish entirely when killed. The sewer level in Ep3 demonstrates this near the end.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

User avatar
Panoptic Blur
Well Done
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sep 6th, 2010, 02:44

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Panoptic Blur » Feb 13th, 2011, 19:11

I've tried killing Spectres with the voodoo doll and have never succeeded. Anybody know if they're immune to spirit damage?

Also, I am finally trying Catacombs on Extra Crispy. It's difficult!
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

User avatar
Panoptic Blur
Well Done
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sep 6th, 2010, 02:44

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Panoptic Blur » Feb 13th, 2011, 23:46

Another question: how is pitchfork damage calculated? Is it constant per attack, or does it rely on how "square on" you hit with the pitchfork? (I ask because when you hit the wall or floor, it registers separate hits for each prong of the fork - up to four in total - and I wondered if more prongs on target equals more damage per attack.)
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

User avatar
Dimebog
Troll of the Opera
Posts: 2165
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 15:48
Contact:

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Dimebog » Feb 14th, 2011, 04:42

Panoptic Blur wrote:if more prongs on target equals more damage per attack.
Yeah.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

User avatar
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium
Posts: 4418
Joined: Apr 27th, 2004, 00:46
Location: The Door between Worlds
Contact:

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Daedalus » Feb 14th, 2011, 09:37

Panoptic Blur wrote:In some cases, they will vanish entirely when killed. The sewer level in Ep3 demonstrates this near the end.
Result of a placement error.
Panoptic Blur wrote:I've tried killing Spectres with the voodoo doll and have never succeeded. Anybody know if they're immune to spirit damage?
Phantasms are immune to spirit damage.
Panoptic Blur wrote:Also, I am finally trying Catacombs on Extra Crispy. It's difficult!
Great map. Fantastic atmosphere given there's no ambient sound. There are some powerups around the map to help with the more tricky parts.
Panoptic Blur wrote:Another question: how is pitchfork damage calculated? Is it constant per attack, or does it rely on how "square on" you hit with the pitchfork? (I ask because when you hit the wall or floor, it registers separate hits for each prong of the fork - up to four in total - and I wondered if more prongs on target equals more damage per attack.)
Each prong deals 16 physical damage.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

User avatar
Krypto
Well Done
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sep 14th, 2006, 18:24
Contact:

Re: Random quirks in Blood

Post by Krypto » Feb 14th, 2011, 12:12

Daedalus wrote:Haha, why'd you have to demonstrate a bug on one of my old maps? (:
Revisiting SIN Deathmask style, and what an insidiously tense first map it twas! Light switches make Cultists appear D:
Panoptic Blur wrote:One type of Zombie stands up from lying down (as opposed to "digging themselves out of graves").

In some cases, they will vanish entirely when killed. The sewer level in Ep3 demonstrates this near the end.
Mine spontaneously exploded into Gargoyle giblets, this also occured on E6M1, perhaps it is a Build/Blood orientated bug by which the game erroneously spawns the incorrect sprites due to a segment or numeric flaw.

Image

I once had the miracolous joy of witnessing the left digit on the Health box vanish leaving a '6' on the right :shock:

Post Reply