"New Alone In The Dark" Addon Released!

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
NoOne
Pink on the Inside

"New Alone In The Dark" Addon Released!

Postby NoOne » Jun 15th, 2010, 17:14

After one and a half years of work we are ready to officially introduce you this addon. For a long time we've been thinking of how to preserve the atmosphere of this game loved by all of us, but at the same time to extend the existing limits, bring up new gameplay and experience.
This time we've gone far beyond simple fan map-making and are going to prove to you that Blood is not this hopeless even without source code.
From the beginning BAITD was aimed at expanding gameplay, it can't be limited by common gameplay borders, so here you're going to see a lot of new features. This is new BAITD, so don't compare it to the previous versions and, more importantly, to other people's addons.

There are four new weapons at your disposal. Almost all of them have changed features and none of them replaces existing .art files since they're made using QAV animation.

BAITD got even more freedom: the most of the locations have free exits and it's up to you to decide when to end the game. You have 5 ways to finish the game in total.

Even if he can't move he won't let you kill him so easily. More than 250 TX/RX values were used to trigger him. He has unbelievable intelligence and has the ability to foresee your actions, so you'd need strategic thinking to put him down.

Every map has its unique gloomy style. You'll feel the mysterious atmosphere of abandoned places. Music, the surroundings, the story - all of this would keep you on the edge of the seat till the end. A lot of time was spent working on details. You'll find yourself in a new world which lives on its own and waits for you to explore it. You'll see ghosts. Encounter the unknown. Hear the darkness breathing with horror. All the levels are connected with each other as much as possible and will help you to learn the complicated story of BAITD.

The program is made to work under DOS. We decided there's no point making a Windows launcher as everyone has DosBox set anyway. Mod makers can set it to work with their own addons. It currently supports: sprites with transparency, backgrounds, fonts and palette, infinite menu options, writings, scripts which are supposed to help you launch Blood with more options. All resources can be stored in one folder as well as in a special archive to keep your beloved game pure. All settings(design, scripts) are stored in one .ini file. It's open source too.

* - [color=#FF0000]For game start use "blaunch.exe" If you use DosBox you can simply change a name of a started file (i.e. instead of BLOOD.EXE write blaunch.exe). Thus any additional options it is not required.

* -Search for useful subjects in book shelves.
* -It is recommended to raise volume of allocated memory in DosBox if you use 36 MB.
* -Before start it is recommended to move or remove *.DEM files.

LOW-TECH version:

Standard version. Start by means of BAT a file or parametre "-ini BAITD.INI". New weapons is kept.
------------------
[color=black]Installer version:

Installation from under Windows. You can choose a folder for installation and as additional components. After installation use blaunch.exe for start BAITD.
------------------
ZIP archive (recommended for x64 users and other OS):

Extract all files from ZIP archive and start blaunch.exe in DosBox or any other DOS-emulator.
------------------
BLOOD.RFF and SOUNDS.RFF from BAITD:

Use this variant only if for any reasons to install correctly BAITD it is impossible to you. These archives contain already install necessary resources. Copy them in a folder with BLOOD where it is install BAITD and can begin game.
------------------
Last edited by NoOne on Jun 19th, 2010, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
| | | | | |
------------------------

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Re: "New Alone In The Dark" Addon Released!

Postby Blood of Nightmares » Jun 15th, 2010, 17:35

I have one complaint about this mod, (which serves as a warning for those who want to download this mod) why couldn't you use the same techniques as BPF that prevents your original files from being overrided?

Which therefore you don't have to be forced to go through a rather long tedious process of uninstalling and reinstalling the entire game to get it the way it was before.

Although I luckily have a backup copy of the original game saved in my mybook but if didn't then I had to go through that tedious process of uninstalling and reinstalling the entire game to get things back to normal.
Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Jun 15th, 2010, 17:52, edited 3 times in total.

NoOne
Pink on the Inside

Postby NoOne » Jun 15th, 2010, 17:42

I do not see in it any sense. All files are added in BLOOD.RFF and SOUNDS.RFF, but any old file is not replaced provided that you did not install a component "Additional models".
Besides it allows to keep an occasional seat on a disk + all original RFF remain with expansion *.BAK in a folder with Blood.
------------------------
| | | | | |
------------------------

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Postby Blood of Nightmares » Jun 15th, 2010, 17:46

NoOne
Pink on the Inside

Postby NoOne » Jun 15th, 2010, 18:33

If you think of files in folder "BAISET" you can freely delete this folder - it temporary and is necessary only on an installation time.
------------------------
| | | | | |
------------------------

Sir Seizhak
Pink on the Inside

Postby Sir Seizhak » Jun 15th, 2010, 20:35

Wow, excellent!! I believe this is the third release.
Cabal's Return Add-On. Wait for it.

BloodHispano. The best Spanish Blood website!

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Postby kurt » Jun 15th, 2010, 20:39

This looks interesting but I think I'll wait for the installation problems to be worked out. I use WIN98 to play Blood and my memory of Tchernobog calling me an asshole throughout BPF is still fresh in my mind...

Congrats though, and I look forward to playing eventually.

Hellen
Well Done

Postby Hellen » Jun 15th, 2010, 20:52

How do I start it?
When I choose "single player" it starts loading config file but then crashes back to menu.

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Postby wangho » Jun 17th, 2010, 15:54

I have the same problem as Hellen

Hellen
Well Done

Postby Hellen » Jun 17th, 2010, 16:47

I've got some instructions on Russian, I can translate it, but it didn't work for me so far... :(

I also want to encourage people to play this addon. Don't let the stereotype of Sectwar(tm) to draw you away. :wink:

Jerry
Still Kicking

Postby Jerry » Jun 18th, 2010, 16:24

I'll try this as soon as possible :wink:

To Wangho and Hellen:
These problems are usually caused by bad settings of sounds and music. In the main menu of BAITD choose OPTIONS. Go to the SOUND SETUP and here play both tests of sounds and music. If they don't work try to re-set them. I hope this will help.
I want Jo-Jo! I want Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo! JO-JOOOO!

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Postby MoonStalkeR » Jun 18th, 2010, 18:41

I'm having the same problem. Tested and both sound and music are functional, still getting crashing.
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

NoOne
Pink on the Inside

Postby NoOne » Jun 19th, 2010, 06:44

Forgive for the long answer.
Bloody Mess (creator of a launcher) has made small updating. It does not correct a problem completely, but which error can help to learn from each of you. Now you will back not send in the menu, you can see that writes to you BLOOD and probably to rectify an error.
If you receive "-1" during start - simply press any key and loading will begin.

I am in turn already ready to give you LOW-TECH version BAITD. It demands replacement of files of original game, however you can start at last BAITD as standard addon by means of BAT a file or simple parametres "-ini BAITD.INI". New weapons as is kept and delivered in this version with combination possibility.
Download this full already installed version and replace ALL necessary files. Then can start game with BAITD.BAT or with parametre "-ini BAITD.INI".

Hope you enjoy it this time, after all BAITD will surprise you even without a launcher. :wink:
------------------------
| | | | | |
------------------------

LifeKILLED
New user

Postby LifeKILLED » Jun 19th, 2010, 20:11

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Postby Tekedon » Jun 21st, 2010, 09:38

Cool. gotta try this out later :shock:

Return to “Blood”