How To : One Unit Whole Blood with DosBox

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
methy
New user

Re: How To : One Unit Whole Blood with DosBox

Post by methy » Oct 11th, 2014, 17:03

Well I just tried it and it hardly changes anything for me. I might be getting a SLIGHTLY better framerate, but I still can't go over 800x600 for a smooth 60FPS.

Lot's of people say it does improve things for them though so I'm pretty clueless.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only blog solely dedicated to horror video games

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Oct 11th, 2014, 23:23

BLOOD wasn't really intended to be played on anything above 800x600.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Oct 12th, 2014, 19:54

Dimebog wrote:BLOOD wasn't really intended to be played on anything above 800x600.
Back when Blood came out, doing 800x600 in software was kind of overkill if you planned for a smooth, steady framerate, yet the engine itself makes sufficient provision for increased resolutions if your computer can handle it.

The problem here is unrealistic expectations. People having zero understanding of what they're doing and what it implies, concerning emulation specifically.

Here's a clue, that magic config posted at GOG doesn't even tackle the CPU settings, which are about the only settings likely to provide a noticeable framerate increase.

Every pixel that's outputted to your display when running Blood in software mode, has to be resolved entirely by the CPU. The higher the resolution, the more pixels, the more CPU going to waste, therefore the more sluggish it's going to be (mid-end computers, no chance). It's a simple as that, and there's nothing you can do about it save for letting DosBox handle it through the dynamic core (if supported) and setting cycles to max. Even video/memory settings are entirely secondary in effectiveness.

If you truly want to ease some of that burden on the CPU and be able to go 1280x1024+, get the original Blood, a glide wrapper such as nGlide and the 3dfx patch.

axl_rose
New user

Post by axl_rose » Jan 5th, 2015, 21:55

Greetings to all of you.

Huge Blood fan for many years (probably around 1998) and I still believe that Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and Blood are some of the finest examples in FPS history. The atmosphere, level design, ... simply unmatched.

The problem is... I'm having some troubles running Blood in dosbox.

- When I use the normal version of dosbox (0.74), I get the HUD flickering. This can be disabled by using "vesa_nolfb" instead of "svga_s3". However, this leads to some serious screen tearing (which makes it hardly playable);

- Using the SVN DAUM build (http://ykhwong.x-y.net/), one can change the video memory (vmemsize) to a certain amount (I use 32) which solves the flickering HUD problem without having to use vesa_nolfb. This build also enables you to use vsync. In short: running this, let's me play Blood perfectly (like in those good old dos-years).

-> The issue however, is that i'm having problems getting the music (MIDI) to work.I use all the default dosbox settings and in Blood.cfg i have chosen for "General Midi - 0x330".

But I'm still getting the same error message: "MPU-401 could not be detected" and the game doesn't start. Running without music, obviously works like a charm.

This seems a bit strange because:

1. The music in BLOOD works just fine under dosbox 0.74;
2. When I launch BLOOD's "setup.exe", there's an option to test the music card and during this test the music works just fine under the latest SVN Daum build;
3. The music does work under the 64 bit version of dosbox, but I think this version is not greatly supported yet, because I'm experiencing some terrible lag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jan 8th, 2015, 16:03

HUD flickering will occur when you exceed a certain point in screen resolution (from my experience). 800x600 should work just fine.

Problems you have with MIDI might be due to the strange SVN build you are using so I'm not going to investigate that too deeply. mpu401 can be set in dosbox.conf to intelligent / uart / none. You can try messing with that. 0x330 should be the default MIDI port in DosBox but maybe you can double-check that too (could as well be 0x220 or something else).

axl_rose
New user

Post by axl_rose » Jan 8th, 2015, 19:43

Dimebog,

I do not attempt to play Blood in a higher resolution than Blood's native resolutions. Unfortunately, the HUD flickering does occur, on my PC, when playing on 800x600.

Regarding the music problem: I already tried fiddling with the MIDI settings in the dosbox conf. setting. But choosing "general midi" in Blood's setup always leads to the same error. Using "sound blaster" as music device seems to work though. Sadly, the music isn't as good as "general midi".

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jan 11th, 2015, 18:05

You don't have to use that particular SVN build which seems to be causing the problem with music. You can increase vmemsize in any DosBox build in order to prevent the flickering.

NoOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by NoOne » Jan 11th, 2015, 20:37

Screen flickering may be fixed with replacing SDL.DLL. It works fine for me.
NoOne

axl_rose
New user

Post by axl_rose » Jan 12th, 2015, 21:59

You don't have to use that particular SVN build which seems to be causing the problem with music. You can increase vmemsize in any DosBox build in order to prevent the flickering.
I think you're confusing "memsize" (=Amount of memory DOSBox) with "vmemsize" (=Amount of video memory). The latter does not appear in (the options of) dosbox 0.74. Vmemsize is a "new" feature of SVN Daum.
Screen flickering may be fixed with replacing SDL.DLL. It works fine for me.
How would I do that ?

NoOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by NoOne » Jan 13th, 2015, 23:39

Go to and download 1.2 version https://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
Then just replace SDL.dll in your dosbox directory. There also may require to set machine to vesa_nolfb
NoOne

axl_rose
New user

Post by axl_rose » Jan 16th, 2015, 21:01

Go to and download 1.2 version https://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
Then just replace SDL.dll in your dosbox directory. There also may require to set machine to vesa_nolfb
Thx, I tried it, but this doesn't solve the problem since vesa_nolf gives me screen tearing.

So this leaves me 2 options:

1. Play Blood using dosbox 0.74 with HUD flickering OR with screen tearing but with general midi;

2. Play Blood using the latest SVN Daum which runs Blood perfectly but without general midi (using Sound Blaster as music device and thus: less quality music).

Well, at least option 2 let's me play Blood well, so I can't really complain. (I'll just have to wait for a new dosbox release or, even better, the source code release ;-)).

Thanks anyway Folks !

axl_rose
New user

Post by axl_rose » Jan 28th, 2015, 21:57

Just to ley you know, the latest SVN Daum release (http://ykhwong.x-y.net/) fixes the general midi problem!

This means I can run Blood smoothly on 800x600 without screen tearing or HUD fluckering. People who experience these issues with the normal dosbox release (0.74) may want to check out this unofficial dosbox build.

Kind regards.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jan 29th, 2015, 11:02

Thanks for the heads up.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Mar 5th, 2015, 12:36

I recently got a new rig and set it up accordingly hopefully with no lingering issues lying in it's wake (lol that Motherboard Installation) Blood seems to be optimized to my liking however a key complaint with regards to DOSBox is the 'machine=vesa_nolfb' variable isn't even listed in the config file as a possible choice to select. I only discovered it by searching online about the 'Screen flickering' issue, I thought I'd share this here to avoid further headaches for anyone else trying to setup Blood on a new machine, the team really should ensure every possible variable you can input is stated in the config file so you don't need to go wiki hunting.

With that out of way, I would like to announce I intend to make Youtube playthroughs of Rage Against the Machine, French Meat and Bloody Pulp Fiction being the first priority given their absence of any coverage, no outstanding issues remaining this should commence shortly. I shall keep you all informed, let the bloodbath begin!

HenitoKisou
New user

Post by HenitoKisou » Mar 6th, 2015, 15:07

Yeah this is cryptic among the files when searching info for. But don't demonize it as it's cause of various phenomena. Without that even voodoo doll can work weird way, some stronger enemies have less hits to kill, weaker ones more and because of flickering I hit entertaining glitch where I could breathe indifinitely after powerup runs out because my HUD flickered while map was on under water and saved, while loaded my screen still got darker every second so gamma is needed but either way cool effect. Fun breaker it was when screen flickering caused me noclip mode but projectiles still could hit me and after that Caleb suddenly taken death POV, can't shot but can move with no health at all. :shock: