How To : One Unit Whole Blood with DosBox

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
BigComfy
New user

Re: How To : One Unit Whole Blood with DosBox

Post by BigComfy » Apr 30th, 2013, 04:52

OKay, I see this hasn't been posted in in 2 years, but I thought I would try. I just got blood running on my win7 64 bit computer, I haven't been able to play in YEARS. So, first thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Blood+plasma, with movies all works great. But Cryptic Passage will not load. I've check some solutions I've found in other places, but nothing works. I click on the shortcut that I made following the tutorial, and dosbox loads but then just closes after a second or 2, any help? Thanks again.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Apr 30th, 2013, 04:59

Download this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/379 ... ticfix.zip

Extract to your Blood directory and run tocryptic.bat. After that you can run Blood.exe normally and it will launch Cryptic Passage instead.

When you want to run the regular game through Blood.exe, just run fromcryptic.bat.

BigComfy
New user

Post by BigComfy » Apr 30th, 2013, 05:47

Like a charm, thank you kindly. I am literally in heaven. I have so many newer games to play, but they gonna have to wait...Got some cultists to slaughter.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Nov 19th, 2013, 21:58

With Gog's DosBox installer which is already pre-configured with lots of pseudo fuckery multiple custom configuration files of which I opened up 'dosboxBlood.conf' and it's a hideous wall of text mess which I can't work with at all, is it still necessary to launch it through Setup.exe if you want it to register BMOUSE.exe? I'm only judging from what it said in that text file with regards to the instructions.

This is gonna piss me off getting the mouse settings just right again, also what settings do you recommend in the custom Graphics settings options? It says Overlay for fullscreen but how does it work? I use OpenGL with Supereagle and keep aspect ratio, I assume Double Buffer also works towards enhancing the graphics?

EDIT: I opened up 'dosboxBlood_single.conf' and removed blood.exe replacing it with '
BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH blood.exe' which seems to have done the job as Bmouse is acknowledged whenever it runs now, but how can i alter the dosboxBlood_settings.conf' to mimic the same because you have to specify setup.exe.

Also if I try to set the resolution to anything above 800x600 I'll get slight screen flickering, but I always found it ran smoothest on 800x600 so I'm not too fussed.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Nov 19th, 2013, 23:33

Get the original OUWB CD (or CD image), download the latest official DosBox build and we'll go from there. I sense a lot of misconceptions will have to be cleared up before you can get anything working.

There's 2 ways, the GOG way and the proper way.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Nov 19th, 2013, 23:55

I'm afraid your mistaken, I do have it working, pretty well in fact! I just want some clarification on some points and don't mind my crazy ranting about custom content because that's just me being nutty that otherwise makes the process a whole lot easier and I have a long history with tweaking/getting Blood to work myself using the defunct VDMSound method.

I actually had the original OUWB, well it was the installer from Underdogs, it was basically the entire thing but in a special Winrar extractor archive installer thing and I thought I may as well purchase the GOG variant in the event I lose/destroy the CD which had the official unofficial OUWB on xD

From the sounds of it their is a disadvantage or preference with the original over the GOG method hmm? I can acquire an official CD Imagine if needs be however.

EDIT: Considering how much easier this is compared to the amount of configuration I'd have to do with a native install, I don't see any reason to defunct GOG out of ignorance or foolishness, I like this method, everything is setup to go and all it needs is slight tweaking to suit my preference. For instance I heard Daedalon mention a few pages back that the latest build of DOSBox should fix the CD Audio not looping, after acquiring the latest SVN Build, I replaced the defunct one within the Blood directory, now the custom image 'game.gog' won't mount but I'm sure it's a simple line that needs editing I just need to work out where it is or have it pointed out ;)

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Nov 20th, 2013, 01:26

Alles klar.
Krypto wrote:This is gonna piss me off getting the mouse settings just right again
There aren't that many settings, but figuring out the adequate sensitivity will definitely take a try or two, and that's a very personal thing (e.g. I like a fast horizontal movement + something in the middle for vertical movement, if I can't escape it, because I truly detest vertical movement in 2.5D games)
Krypto wrote:also what settings do you recommend in the custom Graphics settings options?
For an authentic look/feel, try these:

fulldouble=true
fullresolution=original
output=ddraw
machine=svga_s3
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none
Krypto wrote:It says Overlay for fullscreen but how does it work? I use OpenGL with Supereagle and keep aspect ratio, I assume Double Buffer also works towards enhancing the graphics?
What you need to know is that all of the outputs work more or less the same in practice. You want to avoid OpenGL (OpenGLNB is ok) and scalers because they mess with the image quality, specially when it comes to fps'. Overlay is hardware-accelerated, so it should be faster, but since it's only there for the output image (you're not accelerating 3d or anything else internally or externally), the difference is only noticeable in computers too old to be running DosBox anyways. The only output with extra useful functionality is DDRAW because it can use vsync (it's a very primitive vsync, which basically prevents tearing but introduces a bit of stuttering every now and then in systems not optimized for it). Double buffering, however, doesn't technically enhance graphics but has the ability to make the framerate smoother at the expense of higher CPU usage.
Krypto wrote:EDIT: I opened up 'dosboxBlood_single.conf' and removed blood.exe replacing it with '
BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH blood.exe' which seems to have done the job as Bmouse is acknowledged whenever it runs now, but how can i alter the dosboxBlood_settings.conf' to mimic the same because you have to specify setup.exe
I'd need to look into dosboxBlood_settings.conf. Can you attach the file?
Krypto wrote:Also if I try to set the resolution to anything above 800x600 I'll get slight screen flickering, but I always found it ran smoothest on 800x600 so I'm not too fussed.
You're abusing both the emulated video card and your system resources by going that high with the resolution. Probably not a lot that can be done about it, specially with all that scaler/aspect ratio garbage on.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 20th, 2013, 09:59

Krypto wrote:I actually had the original OUWB, well it was the installer from Underdogs
*lies on grassy knoll, carefully placing Krypto's head between a rifle's iron sights*
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Nov 20th, 2013, 12:19

Ah thank you for such a detailed response Status! I appreciate it, well I've taken what you said about Graphical Output options into consideration and Direct3D seems to run the smoothest for me, I don't use Vsync anyway and my computer is more then sufficient enough to handle emulation software. You'll excuse me for my misconceptions regarding the resolution, I thought from hindsight that others were able to run Blood above 800x600 without too much resource strain, I could on VDMSound but that's an entirely different kettle of fish all together.

The only slight conundrum I've got myself into is I downloaded the latest DOSBox SVN from here then I replaced the DOSBOX folder in the Blood directory with this (I made sure I had a backup first however) and now it fails to mount the iso image.

Here's a snapshot of the 'dosboxBlood_single.conf' file
Spoiler: show
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

@ECHO OFF
mount C ".."
c:
imgmount D game.ins -t iso
cls
BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH blood.exe
exit
As you can see, it's meant to use the instructions set in game.ins to mount the ISO which I assume dwells within game.gog.

If we take a look within game.ins this transpires:
Spoiler: show
FILE "game.gog" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "blood02.ogg" MP3
TRACK 02 AUDIO
FILE "blood03.ogg" MP3
TRACK 03 AUDIO
FILE "blood04.ogg" MP3
TRACK 04 AUDIO
FILE "blood05.ogg" MP3
TRACK 05 AUDIO
FILE "blood06.ogg" MP3
TRACK 06 AUDIO
FILE "blood07.ogg" MP3
TRACK 07 AUDIO
FILE "blood08.ogg" MP3
TRACK 08 AUDIO
FILE "blood09.ogg" MP3
TRACK 09 AUDIO
Like I said before, this was working perfectly fine when I installed it fresh, it only hiccuped after I attempted to update the included DOSBox build in the installer with an SVN Update as it apparently fixes the CD Audio not looping. I could use native OUWB (as a secondary install for messing about with custom stuff), but why intentionally purchase this bundle at a very reasonable price then?
Daedalus wrote:
Krypto wrote:I actually had the original OUWB, well it was the installer from Underdogs
*lies on grassy knoll, carefully placing Krypto's head between a rifle's iron sights*
Ahaha well it came to me as a surprise gift, when I was gobsmacked to find a very rare copy of the European Blood Release on Ebay many moons ago and at a very cheap price, the seller was kind/strange enough to include a CD-R which included OUWB on it, as I've probably already mentioned some time before.
Attachments
dosboxBlood_settings.zip
Here's the attached settings for the setup.exe as requested.
(336 Bytes) Downloaded 38 times

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Nov 20th, 2013, 20:05

Krypto wrote:Ah thank you for such a detailed response Status! I appreciate it, well I've taken what you said about Graphical Output options into consideration and Direct3D seems to run the smoothest for me
Glad it was of any use. Direct3D's definitely the better choice, but it's not available in plain 0.74, the version I thought was being bundled with the GOG download.
Krypto wrote:I don't use Vsync anyway
Then overlay could do just as well.
Krypto wrote:and my computer is more then sufficient enough to handle emulation software
Jut like with every piece of software, it all depends on your hardware, what's being emulated and how. Since DosBox isn't cycle exact, most apps will likely be usable in most modern computers.
Krypto wrote:You'll excuse me for my misconceptions regarding the resolution, I thought from hindsight that others were able to run Blood above 800x600 without too much resource strain
The higher you go with the internal game resolution, the more CPU cycles will be required to sustain the framerate. Output resolution, go as high as you need.
Krypto wrote:The only slight conundrum I've got myself into is I downloaded the latest DOSBox SVN from here then I replaced the DOSBOX folder in the Blood directory with this (I made sure I had a backup first however) and now it fails to mount the iso image.

Here's a snapshot of the 'dosboxBlood_single.conf' file
SVN builds are not suitable for everyday use. It's usually wiser to go with the latest official build (0.74) unless something's seriously broken.

The bmouse commands look ok. The gog ini's I'm not familiar with, but it's evident from the use of ogg files that they have no idea what the hell they're doing. They have increased the hardware requirements, degraded the quality of the music and introduced useless complexity for no justifiable technical reason at all.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Nov 20th, 2013, 20:10

Status Cruo wrote:The gog ini's I'm not familiar with, but it's evident from the use of ogg files that they have no idea what the hell they're doing. They have increased the hardware requirements, degraded the quality of the music and introduced useless complexity for no justifiable technical reason at all.
That's exactly the type of justification I was looking for! I''ll obtain a CD image of OUWB from a special source I know well and compare a native installation to GOG's for comparison, well I found an international copy on Amazon but the seller never got back to me on a pertinent question so I thought nah.

methy
New user

Post by methy » Jul 29th, 2014, 15:39

Hello,

I have this weird flickering issue that I can't seem to get rid. What happens is, the main menu flickers a lot; and sometimes the HUD/Weapons also flickers in-game.
Now that I switched from Overlay to Surface (playing in 800*600), the in-game flickering only happens very very rarely (if at all); however the menu still flickers. The only thing I found which fixed the flickering altogether was Surface in 1280*1024 ; however, even if I get a constant 60FPS in 800*600, 1280*1024 only gives me 25/30FPS at best...

I guess it's no big deal anymore now that it only happens in the main menu, but it would be nice to get it fixed anyway... any idea?

Also, is cycles=max always the best choice or should I set it manually and if so at what value?

Thanks
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only blog solely dedicated to horror video games

Corvin
New user

Post by Corvin » Jul 29th, 2014, 23:47

try machine=vesa_nolfb for the flicker

methy
New user

Post by methy » Jul 30th, 2014, 01:53

Thanks a lot man that did it! With midi music, smooth 800*600 without flickering (fullscreen with no stretching), and bmouse, the setup is perfect now!
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only blog solely dedicated to horror video games

methy
New user

Post by methy » Oct 10th, 2014, 22:06

Someone made a tutorial to get Blood running smoothly at resolutions up to 1280*1024, using another version of DOSbox. The feedback to that tutorial seems mostly positive.

http://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/m ... know/page1

I haven't tried it myself but it might be something worth checking out for people who have trouble running the game past very low resolutions.