How To : One Unit Whole Blood with DosBox

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Corvin
New user

Re: How To : One Unit Whole Blood with DosBox

Post by Corvin » Mar 7th, 2015, 08:29

vesa_nolfb is listed in the dosbox conf file. not sure where your looking. It's in v.74 DOSBox.

But since there is no Linear Buffer, something that most BUILD Games prefer, you'll get some tearing.

I believe there working or have worked this out in updates to DOSBox, when it gets a new version released.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Mar 7th, 2015, 15:29

Well met Henito, it's interesting to see one new user has chosen to return to these odious halls particularly given the audience generated as a result of Jace Hall's visit were merely ethereal cultists swept up by the master's presence and vanished without a trace following his departure. The phenomena you explain while intriguing seems to be related to graphical glitches caused solely as a result of the 'Screen Flickering' issue, I doubt that can actually impact upon the game mechanics itself, you stated enemies appear stronger which is a suggestible phrase in itself but I too am humored by Blood's various assortments of random, spontaneous glitches which always brings a smile..

As for the nonexistent 'vesa_nolfb' setting, it appears the GOG version of Blood doesn't contain it in the special config file it has in the main folder 'dosboxBlood' a very peculiar oversight in any case, but I can clarify that it is present in the main version of DOSBox.

The entirity of RATM - Rage Against The Machine was recorded this morning, I got carried away obviously owing to it's supreme mastery, very funny amount of oddities were captured as well, soon enough..

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Mar 19th, 2015, 00:33

Hey I didn't want to make a new thread and couldn't find a relevant old one so I'll post my anomaly. I noticed this visual error/tile corruption or missing on E6M1 after recording 'RATM'. I use a script to run the mod (BloodyMapEdit's) version here: http://www.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/ ... ipted).zip

I presume some conflict occurred with the internal Tiles.arts files as a result of using this method or some other bizzare experiment of mine which contracted this outcome, I was curious what caused it and what does it mean?

Corvin
New user

Post by Corvin » Mar 19th, 2015, 01:20

I'm not sure, it defiantly wasn't re-scripted to work with the GOG setup, probably ask BME or I can point him here.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Mar 19th, 2015, 12:11

Thanks for the quick response but to my knowledge he doesn't post here anymore since 2010 due to some personal falling out/grudge with some of the members so I'll contact him by Youtube.

So did that script corrupt the original game files? Basically what it does is temporarily replace the main game files with the RATM ones when the game is launched, renaming the Blood ones with a .bme extension while the game is running, then restoring the files after the game has exited. I know it's archaic and not completely fail proof but it's a very convenient method, albeit you should backup your whole Blood folder nonetheless :roll:

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
CLS
CALL RATM\SCN.bat
COPY BLOOD.rff BLOOD.bme>nul
COPY SOUNDS.rff SOUNDS.bme>nul
CALL RATM\SCN.bat
BARF BLOOD.rff -a @RATM\MAPS.rfs>nul
CALL RATM\SCN.bat
BARF SOUNDS.rff -a @RATM\MIDS.rfs>nul
CALL RATM\SCN.bat
COPY RATM\RATM.ini>nul
CALL RATM\SCN.bat
::------------------
BLOOD -ini RATM.ini>nul
::------------------
DEL RATM.ini>nul
DEL BLOOD.rff>nul
DEL SOUNDS.rff>nul
REN BLOOD.bme BLOOD.rff>nul
REN SOUNDS.bme SOUNDS.rff>nul
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO  ALL FILES RESTORED!
ECHO.
ECHO  Install script by BME/ILMHB
ECHO.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Mar 20th, 2015, 14:54

It is not required to replace any of the original files in order to run RATM, but merely use a parameter to specify the use of ratm.rff which is basically a modified sounds.rff file. I'm trying to figure out what happened there but I don't see it. I don't remember if the version of RATM that was released actually included tiles018.art (I don't think so) but if it's there, you can try removing it from the folder temporarily to see if the problem persists.

Ultimately, I would recommend reinstalling.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Apr 2nd, 2015, 22:55

I think I discovered the culprit responsible, turns out as Meltdown gives the user the option to install a custom folder consisting of popular Bloodbath maps their appears to be a remade version of E6M1 for some reason and this seems to clash with the original files causing the tile corruption to be permanent, strange anomaly. I just reinstalled but now made a exclusive 'Backup' folder consisting of all the main Blood data files so I can experiment to my heart's content.

Oh and BME ignored my PM as expected, probably thought who is this naive twit saying my marvelous scripts broke his Blood folder :lol: or it may very well be Google+ still lingering issue of not informing users correctly when they have received PM's on Youtube which up to 5 people have reported to me so far.

I'd also like to clear up something else, I don't understand why ddraw is the recommended output stated by a few users, from my experience it results in woeful framerates, opengl or opengl is far superior giving over 100 fps in most circumstances and I don't even have a next gen CPU.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 4th, 2015, 02:14

I personally use OpenGL as well.

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » May 14th, 2015, 16:30

I get better framerates on ddraw. I've always used that.