How To : One Unit Whole Blood with DosBox

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Le Babe
Well Done

How To : One Unit Whole Blood with DosBox

Post by Le Babe » Dec 1st, 2009, 03:55

*****************************************************************************************************************************************
IMPORTANT :

One Unit Whole Blood is now available on sell at GOG.com for $ 5.99 : HERE !

If you already have a OUWB CD or image, then you can follow this tutorial.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Ok, I know some people on the web have difficulties to find BLOOD and make it work on windows so I came up with a little tutorial on how to play the latest version, 1.21 a.k.a One Unit Whole Blood with DosBox.

For those of you who don't know what is One Unit Whole BLood (OUWB from now on) :

It contains BLOOD + the PLASMA PACK add on + the CRYPTIC PASSAGE add on.

Where to find OUWB : Buy it on amazon, ebay or such because you probably won't find it in any videogames shop now, or try to download the CD image of it if you're broke or greedy.

Where to find DosBox : http://www.dosbox.com/ (Seriously !?)

Download the last version, 0.74

Ok, let's get started.

The Windows install of the CD won't run on a 64 bits OS (at least I didn't succeed with Windows 7 64b). Moreover, you won't be able to run the setup nor any other executables in your Blood folder via Windows once Blood is installed. See the very bottom of the tutorial to see how you can install Blood on a 64 bits machine and run the executables through DosBox.

I : INSTALL BLOOD ON YOUR HARD DRIVE (Windows x86 [32bits]).

Launch the Blood setup via the CD or the image (normally there's an autoexec but in case it doesn't show up...).

Click Install.

Now this picture should be in front of your eyes :

Go through the next screens by clicking Next, and then Yes.

This box should now come up :

First of all choose the path where you want the game to be installed.

As an example we will imagine we've chosen this path : C:\Games\Blood

- If you want to have the cutscenes and the tools (Mapedit, etc.) directly installed with Blood, then choose Custom and then Next. Then, tick all the boxes you want to have installed with Blood.

- If you want to have the game without the tools and movies, choose Typical. Then Next.

- Let's forget about the Compact one.

If you don't plan on using the tools and make some maps with Mapedit I recommend you to select the Typical installation, we'll copy the movies later on to have the cutscenes (if desired).

Ok, Blood is now installing on you computer, have a rest.

Once Blood has been installed, there's a box that will ask you if you want to see the ReadMe file, and/or open the Setup.

Tick the box to open the Setup !

Now moving to step two !

II : BLOOD'S SETUP.

Thanks to http://www.glennsguides.com for the next pictures of the setup and text.

At the "Main Menu" screen select "Sound Setup" and press enter.

Now : At the "Sound Setup" screen select "Choose Sound FX Card" and press enter.

Next : At the "Choose Sound FX Card" screen select "Sound Blaster" and press enter.

Now : At the "Sound Blaster Configuration" enter then save the following settings.

Current Address [0x220]
Current Type (Sound Blaster 16 or AWE 32)
Current Interrupt [7]
Current 8-bit DMA [1]
Current 16-bit DMA [5]
8 Voices
16 Bit Mixing
Stereo Sound
Mixing Rate 22 Khz

Now : Back at the "Sound Setup" menu select "Choose Music Card" and press enter.

Next : In the "Choose Music Card" menu select "Sound Blaster" and press enter. You will be returned to the "Sound Setup" menu after doing this. Press "Esc" and this will return you to the main setup menu. (General Midi works as well, choose x330)

Now : Back at the "Main Menu" scroll to the "Screen Setup" option and press enter.

Next : At the "Screen Setup" menu scroll down to the setting "VESA modes (SVGA/VESA 2.0)" and press enter. The next screen will ask you to, "Choose a VESA 1.0/2.0 Mode", select "800x600" and press enter. (If it comes the game lags in full screen mode because your comp isn't good enough, choose a lower resolution :thumbsup: ).

Finally : You will be returned to the "Main Menu" again. Press escape and save before exiting the setup or scroll down to "Save and launch Blood" and press enter. (Normally, the game will not start, because it is not compatible with Windows, but your settings will be saved :bow:)

Ok, that's good, Blood is now set up. Be aware that you can change the keyboard and mouse settings in the setup too by going into "Controller Setup". To go into the setup again, just go in your Blood folder and open setup.exe. (Do not mind the RATM maps nor anything you do not have in your folder now, this screenshot is from my Blood folder so it's normal it has things you don't have yet :wink: )

If you chose the Typical installation (or if you followed the Windows x64 version) and you want to have the cutscenes, create a "movie" folder in your Blood's folder. Open the "movie" folder from you OUWB CD and copy the .smk files and the .wav files of that folder to the "movie" folder you created previously. (if you're a lazy ass and don't care about hard drive space, just copy the entire "movie" folder of the CD into your Blood folder)

The other files in the "movie" folder of the CD are pretty much useless, but you'll find in here the .avi versions of the cutscenes and GT + Monolith logos.

Here I selected the logo and gti files too but these are otpional since I don't know how to make Blood to read them when starting.

Done !

Now moving to step three, DosBox !

III : DOSBOX

Install DosBox where you want using the file you downloaded previously :

1) Go into your DosBox folder and open Image.

2) In the command of dosbox, type : config -writeconf blood.conf, press [enter], then type : config -writeconf cryptic.conf, press [enter] again.

Type "exit" to close dosbox.

This will create two .conf files in your DosBox folder that we are going to modify a bit.

3) Open both .conf files : blood.conf and cryptic.conf. Use the notepad to open those.

4) Search for the lines :

[dosbox]
# language: Select another language file.
# machine: The type of machine tries to emulate.
# Possible values: hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly, svga_s3, svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe.
# captures: Directory where things like wave, midi, screenshot get captured.
# memsize: Amount of memory DOSBox has in megabytes.
# This value is best left at its default to avoid problems with some games,
# though few games might require a higher value.
# There is generally no speed advantage when raising this value.

language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=16

5) Replace the "16" by "63" (this will give dosbox enough memory to play blood without problem, don't forget to do this for BOTH the .conf files).

6) Now go at the very end of the two .conf files and find the following lines : [autoexec]

You're going to tell the conf files to automatically launch blood.exe and cryptic.exe.

In the blood.conf conf file, write this :

[autoexec]
mount c c:\Games\blood (of course, you have to type the path to the directory you used, this one is an example)
c:
blood
exit

In the cryptic.conf .conf file, write this :

[autoexec]
mount c c:\Games\blood (same, you have to type the path to the directory you used, this one is an example)
c:
cryptic
exit

NOW : We are going to create two shortcuts of DosBox and set them so that they'll launch Blood + Plasma and The Cryptic Passage .

1) Right clic on DosBox.exe and create a shortcut. Repeat. Rename your two shortcuts as you want, knowing that one will start Blood + Plasma and the other one will start The Cryptic Passage add-on.

You can modify the icons of those shortcuts (you should have bloody .ico files in your Blood folder or at least one in your OUWB CD) by right-clicking on them and choose the "change icon" button in the "Properties".

2) Right click on your Blood shortcut and go into the "Properties".

Search for the line "Target" :

At the end of the target line, type : -conf blood.conf

For instance my "target" (Cible in French) would be :
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -conf blood.conf (the spaces are important)

This will tell the shortcut to use the .conf file that tells DosBox to directly launch the game.

3) Do the same for your Cryptic Passage shortcut exept that you tell the target to launch the cryptic.conf file :
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -conf cryptic.conf

MAPEDIT BREAKING NEWS :

If you installed the tools and plan on doing some maps you can make another shortcut of your DosBox.exe and make it launch Mapedit.

Create a mapedit.conf file using the same method I described above and in the "target" of the Mapedit shortcut type : -conf mapedit.conf .

Modify the memory value in the mapedit.conf file (like above) and in the [autoexec] part write :

[autoexec]
mount c c:\Games\blood (again, you have to type the path to the directory you used, this one is an example)
c:
mapedit
exit

STEAM BREAKING NEWS :

You can launch Blood and The Cryptic Passage via your Steam games library.

1) Open STEAM and go in your games library.
2) Click on "Add a game..."
3) Click on "Add a non-steam game..."
4) Click the "browse" button and go to select your Dosbox.exe file in your Dosbox folder.
5) When the Dosbox box is ticked, click on "Add selected programs".
6) Right click on Dosbox and select"Properties".
7) Modify the name and the target :

For instance, if you want it to launch Blood + Plasma, name it "Blood" and type -conf blood.conf at the end of the target line (same method than I described with the shortcuts above). Do not modify the "Start in" line.

Feel free to do the same to add a Cryptic Passage shortcut in your games list. You have to follow the exact same method (add dosbox then modify the properties) exept that the target line modification will be different (-conf cryptic.conf).

Same if you want to add a Mapedit link (-conf mapedit.conf at the end of the target line).

DosBox by default will be launched in Windowed mode, when it starts, if you want to make it fullscreen, press [alt] + [enter]. If you want dosbox to open directly in fullscreen mode, open both conf files and find the following lines :

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

Replace "false" by "true", as simple as that.

Right, now you can play BLOOD + PLASMA PACK and the CRYPTIC PASSAGE.

STILL, the cutscenes won't work if the blood.ini file (you can find it in your main blood folder) isn't set up this way :

[Episode1]
; location of movies was set at install
CutSceneA=C:\movie\cs1.smk
CutWavA=C:\movie\cs1822m.wav
CutSceneB=C:\movie\cs2.smk
CutWavB=C:\movie\cs2822m.wav

Title = The Way of All Flesh
Map1 = e1m1
Map2 = e1m2
Map3 = e1m3
Map4 = e1m4
Map5 = e1m5
Map6 = e1m6
Map7 = e1m7
Map8 = e1m8

[Episode2]
; location of movies and WAVs was set at install
CutSceneB=C:\movie\cs3.smk
CutWavB=C:\movie\cs3822m.wav

Title = Even Death May Die
Map1 = e2m1
Map2 = e2m2
Map3 = e2m3
Map4 = e2m4
Map5 = e2m5
Map6 = e2m6
Map7 = e2m7
Map8 = e2m8
Map9 = e2m9

[Episode3]
CutSceneB=C:\movie\cs4.smk
CutWavB=C:\movie\cs4822m.wav

Title = Farewell to Arms
Map1 = e3m1
Map2 = e3m2
Map3 = e3m3
Map4 = e3m4
Map5 = e3m5
Map6 = e3m6
Map7 = e3m7
Map8 = e3m8

[Episode4]
CutSceneA=C:\movie\cs5.smk
CutWavA=C:\movie\cs5822m.wav
CutSceneB=C:\movie\cs6.smk
CutWavB=C:\movie\cs6822m.wav

Title = Dead Reckoning
CutSceneALevel=8
Map1 = e4m1
Map2 = e4m2
Map3 = e4m3
Map4 = e4m4
Map5 = e4m5
Map6 = e4m6
Map7 = e4m7
Map8 = e4m8
Map9 = e4m9

If those lines are the same, it should be ok.

The final cutscene from the CRYPTIC PASSAGE should be ok already, nothing to change.

Um...well, basically that should work...if you encounter any problem please post here the Posty team will do anything they can to help.

I (bis) : INSTALL BLOOD ON YOUR HARD DRIVE (Windows x64 [64bits]).

We're going to use DosBox to avoid the x64 compatibility problem.

Install DosBox where you want using the file you downloaded previously (link is at the beginning of the tutorial in case you already forgot :roll: ).

1) Go into your DosBox folder and open Image.

2) In the DosBox command line, type :

mount c c:(or the letter of the hard drive you want Blood to be installed into)\[the path to the folder you want blood to be installed in]

For instance, if you want to install Blood in c:\games\blood, just type mount c c:\games (the setup will propose you to install Blood in c:\BLOOD, which result in c:\games\BLOOD on your hard drive)

Press [enter] to tell DosBox to mount the virtual c:

3) Now type :

mount d d:(or the letter of your CD player)\

For instance, if your CD player letter is f, then type mount d f:\

You can mount a virtual CD drive too if you're using an CD image, just tell the letter to DosBox like a normal CD/DVD player...

Press [enter] to tell DosBox to mount the virtual CD player.

4) You now have to tell DosBox to search in your OUWB CD. Type d:

This will change the default DosBox drive letter Z: to d:, so that DosBox is now ready to execute anything you ask in your OUWB CD.

4) Type install to run the setup.

Now the Monolith logo will be displayed and then you'll be asked to press enter to confirm that you want to install Blood.

4) Go through what the setup tells you until you get to that screen :

Be sure to check the One Unit Whole Blood and Cryptic passage boxes.

- The tools are mapedit, barf and all, something you want to install if you plan on creating your own maps.
- Don't install the cutscenes, it won't work, we'll copy the video later on.
- Don't install the logo, I did try but it doesn't worked anyway, do it for fun or if you want to figure out how to display the logo when the game starts.
- Ten files are useless.

5) Press [enter] when you've selected what you want to install and this screen will appear :

Don't be fooled by the path, remember you decided previously what "c:\" is. If you mounted c: as c:\games\blood, the setup will show c:\BLOOD but it will actually be installed in c:\games\blood\BLOOD on your hard drive.

Press [enter], and Blood will be installed on your hard drive.

After it's been installed, you'll be asked to run the setup. Say yes, and go read sections II) BLOOD's SETUP and III) DOSBOX of this tutorial to see how to set everything.

If you want to run the setup again later on, you'll have to use DosBox too because Windows 64b won't open it (same for barf, b2blud, etc.).

Go into DosBox and in the command type the path of your Blood's folder. (once again let's imagine it's C:\Games\Blood)

Type : mount c c:\Games\blood

Then type : c: (this will say to DosBox to browse you Blood's folder)

Then type the executable you want to execute : "setup", "barf", "mapedit", "artedit", whatever you want.

SPILL SOME !
Last edited by Le Babe on Jul 31st, 2010, 02:05, edited 15 times in total.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Re: How To : One Unit Whole Blood with DosBox

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » Dec 1st, 2009, 07:16

Great tutorial, very clear. excelent! :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/bloodmapedit

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Dec 1st, 2009, 10:15

Nice. However, in the setup screen you can finally hit esc and it asks if you want to save the settings instead of launching blood.

:thumbsup:
LOL HI!

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Dec 1st, 2009, 11:04

I know that but I'm used to do the save and launch Blood thing. Don't ask me why but when I press esc and they ask me if I want to save the change, I always worry it won't save even if I say yes :D .

nuttertools
New user

Post by nuttertools » Dec 1st, 2009, 12:17

GREAT!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Dec 1st, 2009, 12:22

Tell us if it worked Nuttertools. Please do check that all the textures are ok, I know I had some troubles with the textures from Cryptic and the Plasma pack sometimes when playing the game.

Just do everything, launch blood, start the Plasma Pack episode (the postmortem), take the easiest level of difficulty. Start the first level, quickly run to the supermarket, in here you should have clothes textures and such. If it comes the textures are messedup you'll probably see redish texture with beast heads everywhere.

Same for cryptic passage, launch it and play the game, at the very beginning, the sky must be black with a big moon the boats should be grey. If it comes the parallaxed sky is messed up or you see this redish texture with beasts on it on the boats, then it sucks.

I hope everything will do well. If not, I may have the solution.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Dec 1st, 2009, 12:24

Le Babe wrote:I know that but I'm used to do the save and launch Blood thing. Don't ask me why but when I press esc and they ask me if I want to save the change, I always worry it won't save even if I say yes :D .
Better go safe than sorry I guess :lol:
LOL HI!

nuttertools
New user

Post by nuttertools » Dec 1st, 2009, 16:57

OK,

This is THE BEST TUTORIAL IN THE UNIVERSE!!!! It should be all over the place, I mean - not just only forums, consider billboards and anything alike:-)

I followed instructions, and I was impressed how easy it really was.

THANK YOU, LE BABE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had several versions in the past, and no one provided such a complex instructions.

nuttertools
New user

Post by nuttertools » Dec 1st, 2009, 17:02

I'll check all the details very soon, so I'll report later, I'll be back in a couple of hours. OK,I know it's not SO important, but is there any chance to make "skip level" cheat - "MARIO" work????

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Dec 1st, 2009, 17:04

Haha, thanks nuttertools, I'm glad it worked. Feel free to partake in the forums as a Blood lover.

Perhaps the Posty authorities could make this one sticky :).

Mario should work.

press T, then : mario [episode number] [map number]

For instance if you want to go to the Dark Carnival level, write this : mario 1 4

This should work if I remember well (I never used it so...).

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Dec 1st, 2009, 19:22

An excellent thread, Le Babe and it just cries out to be stickied. This thread is certainly relevant to those who might've lost their way and need to rekindle their Bloodlust. Nice presentation and simply laid out, though I do question the necessity of twin Dosbox installations, such matters can perhaps be ironed out. The skeleton is there and you get the Posty gold star of the month.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

nuttertools
New user

Post by nuttertools » Dec 1st, 2009, 19:50

Le Babe, THANX
I keep learning from you, every new post/message - new diamond!!! Yes "MARIO" works the way you described. I know many people DON'T like cheats (I won't argue about that) but I need cheat codes here and there ("nottertools" did some magic in Vice City after all :-))

OK, so far so good, I had some minor freezing (I don't believe it has anything to do with our settings - this PC is connected to Internet...etc,etc...) OK here is the famous first click to initialize the fire, I noticed cursor might look purple for a moment, but it's OK. Textures are good, I LIKE THE MOON in Cryptic, and I like the fact I can see my missile crashes against its surface, HOHOHOHOHO, I can't do it in a Call of Duty, so I'm HAPPY about that, YYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
I notice the background music is almost unnoticeable - to low. OK that might be a good thing, all the sounds of explosions are good, the level of "gero shay cruo-o-o-o-ooooo!!!!" is super. OK, I have multiple sound cards (I'm a musician) of course, they are NOT active at the same time, and I noticed about that background music, the level was different in different versions of Blood I had in the past.
So, basically, I think everything is well, I reported this minor (I won't even say "glitches") just for the record, to keep you informed. BTW, I use DOSBox0.72, I think during setting all the stuff up, there were a couple of items less than on your screenshots, I don't think it's a big deal; I recognized majority and followed your instructions, and everything runs just fine. You should get a medal for making this excellent tutorial, I'm REALLY IMPRESSED !!!! I remember some people have tried to explain "how to run Blood in XP", and they just made a new definition of confusion. Their instructions were useless. On the other hand you have people who just tell you how to choose which soundcard you're gonna use.
So, once again, THANK YOU, I'm really impressed, you made another Blood fan happy :-)

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Dec 1st, 2009, 22:20

Thank you guys :metal: !

Um, well Daedalus, the two dosbox are here because this is the only way I found to have two valid Blood and Cryptic shortcuts on my desktop without having to type the lines blood or cryptic in the command. Not that it's difficult or takes time but...well that's just so that it's all clear and fast.

Thanks for sticking :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !

Perhaps I should post it on the Transfusion forums and the Deathmask forums...or perhaps Posty should keep the exclusivity of that tutorial at the moment :D . We'll see, I have to register on both the two other forums so I'll take my time because I got to finish some things before.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Dec 2nd, 2009, 01:36

Le Babe wrote:Um, well Daedalus, the two dosbox are here because this is the only way I found to have two valid Blood and Cryptic shortcuts on my desktop without having to type the lines blood or cryptic in the command.
The way to go about that is make two .conf files, and add the appropriate lines in the autoexec section of each. Then you can, for example, add "-conf cryptic.conf" at the end of the "Target" section in the shortcut. Installing separate instances of DosBox is redundant and messy.

Another useful thing to do in the .conf file is set "ipx=true" to enable multiplay. Depending on the version of DosBox, it is also essential to use:

core=dynamic
cycles=max

in the [cpu] section. You can also set core to "auto" on most computers which will do the exact same thing, and is good if you plan to use the same settings to play other old games.

I also wrote a guide for optimizing BLOOD performance in DosBox by manipulating the sound settings in the game and DosBox but I am too tired to look for it now. I'll report back tomorrow.

Good work.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Dec 2nd, 2009, 01:57

Dimebog wrote:The way to go about that is make two .conf files, and add the appropriate lines in the autoexec section of each. Then you can, for example, add "-conf cryptic.conf" at the end of the "Target" section in the shortcut. Installing separate instances of DosBox is redundant and messy.
Well, my knowledge about Dosbox doesn't equals yours Dime :guitar: , I tried with my method (which is fairly noobish I agree). I'm gonna try that and I'll implement it in the guide if it comes I succeed in doing so :P .
Dimebog wrote:Another useful thing to do in the .conf file is set "ipx=true" to enable multiplay. Depending on the version of DosBox, it is also essential to use:

core=dynamic
cycles=max

in the [cpu] section. You can also set core to "auto" on most computers which will do the exact same thing, and is good if you plan to use the same settings to play other old games.
I knew about the ipx thing thanks to the sticky how to of Dustystyx, but I did not mention it because I guess it's pretty simpler to use YANG now with OUWB. Still Dimebog, could you explain what these "core" and "dynamic" settings are all about ? What about the 0.73 dosbox version ?
Dimebog wrote:I also wrote a guide for optimizing BLOOD performance in DosBox by manipulating the sound settings in the game and DosBox but I am too tired to look for it now. I'll report back tomorrow.
That's great actually, I'm looking forward to it. Perhaps we could merge your guide into this one so that everything will be perfect. Would probably make it a bit long though...I don't know, what do you think ?
Dimebog wrote:Good work.
Thanks 8) ! And thanks for your advice !