The Hall Of Epiphany ~ My Newest Map

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
BLOODTheChosenOne
Pink on the Inside

The Hall Of Epiphany ~ My Newest Map

Post by BLOODTheChosenOne » Oct 21st, 2009, 02:44

I have recently made a new map based on the Hall Of Epiphany from the cutsenes. You can watch my video on YouTube and tell me what you think. Just click on the link below. Keep in mind that this is not the final product, there are still parts of the level that have not been completed nor are there any enemies or weapons. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AaghJmUUGg

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Oct 21st, 2009, 03:40

IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME.

Finally Dr. BoNhead will be appeased.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Oct 21st, 2009, 04:13

I guess I can repost (my suggestions) my comments on youtube (I'm Gannok130 BTW) on this forum...

Nice job so far...

I guess a few of my suggestions left is to make throne have that triangular top with a golden jewel that looks like the Oddworld/Marathon symbol (again watch the FMV and look at the top of the throne very closely or play RATM to oberve the throne itself very closely). Also get rid of that Tchernobog head on top of the throne.

Also if you like perhaps you could add in the darkness (perhaps you can do the same trick from RATM and as well the throne room's ceiling from RATM)

Not to mention you could polish the circle a bit to make perfectly round like in RATM rather a oval shape what it appears to be (or maybe add in symbols on it although you could create your own...)
Shadowman wrote:Finally Dr. BoNhead will be appeased.
Surly I am...

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Oct 21st, 2009, 10:37

The Throne Room is clearly the same than the one in the RATM level, exept there's more light. I'm not saying this as a negative criticism, this is just a noticing, because I'm not sure a better throne room can be made.

Otherwise, the level design is nice, good use of shadows and all, it's good to have a new bloodite here posting, welcome to you.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Re: The Hall Of Epiphany ~ My Newest Map

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » Nov 28th, 2009, 06:26

I like it very much and was able to play it as well.
The architecture and also texture-wise stays very true to the original blood maps.

The only thing about the throne room was that the pilars were just a bit too bright IMO.
It just didn't blend in, too much contrast. Oh yeah and there was a key just next to its door (well actually a bookcase if I remember correctly) that was also a bit strange but other than that: great job! :thumbsup:

Tip: Perhaps you could add some flicker fx near candles, I know it IS an aweful lot of work but I think it will look a lot more realistic 8)
well, maybe it doesn't have to be THAT much work; just make a large circular sector around a candle, give it a sector light fx and then break the sector up in different segments so that they all have the same light fx, the only thing left is to shade each segment just a little bit darker the more you go outward.
http://www.youtube.com/bloodmapedit

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Nov 29th, 2009, 06:06

Well here's the latest video which made so much improvements....

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » Nov 29th, 2009, 06:38

Some other tips:

- Place the box of TNT somewhere else, now it is too obvious you need it in that same room.
So it's perhaps a good idea to place weapons in places where you don't need them yet :thumbsup:

- When you go through the 2nd teleporter (near the moonkey door) you will be in a room that can be made darker because there is no light source there. Same for the place with the dagger key (crematorium), the greenish kinda walls.

BLOODTheChosenOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by BLOODTheChosenOne » Nov 29th, 2009, 07:38

Hey, sorry it's been awhile but I'm not an expert on forums. I don't even know if I'm doing this right but all I can do is hope for the best so here I go...

What I want to say... is that I'm not the best at this mapedit thing. All I really want to do is to create something new and fresh that everyone will enjoy. I mean I'm only 14 so I feel like I'm in this weird situation and I don't know what to think. I never thought this would be so "big". At 1st I was ready to trash the map untill you guys came in and lifted me up. Now I need to get idea on where this is going. Which means... I need a story line!!! C'mon people give me your ideas and tips on what should happen in the level(s) - [It doesn't have to be one level.] I was thinking of something like a remake of the last level, except turning it into multiple levels...?
Face it people, no one can re-create the unique feel of Blood, only the gods have such power...

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Nov 29th, 2009, 07:43

BLOODTheChosenOne wrote:Which means... I need a story line!!!
Perhaps it can be a remake of the last level of Episode 4 of what 'really happned' ...

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » Nov 29th, 2009, 09:04

BLOODTheChosenOne wrote:I'm not the best at this mapedit thing.
I think you have what it takes, your designs are very clean, you have a good sense of adding some details that will contribute to the atmosphere! Perhaps you could work just a little on the script in your maps (by that I mean the route you have to go to get certain items etc. make it more like a puzzle!)
Keep going man, I for one like what you're doing! 8)
Blood of Nightmares wrote:Perhaps it can be a remake of the last level of Episode 4 of what 'really happned' ...
:thumbsup:

BLOODTheChosenOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by BLOODTheChosenOne » Nov 29th, 2009, 10:13

Thnx for the support guys! It really helps. Oh and one more thing, last night I had a dream and in the dream I needed to pee. So I got up and went to the bathroom but the toilet was locked and every time I tried to open it I could hear Caleb's voice sayin " I need a key." OMFG, I NEEDED THE SKULL KEY TO OPEN MY TOILET! I've had weird dreams about Blood before but never like this! Please tell me if you had similar dreams... i'd love to hear 'em.
Face it people, no one can re-create the unique feel of Blood, only the gods have such power...

BLOODTheChosenOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by BLOODTheChosenOne » Nov 29th, 2009, 10:17

Perhaps it can be a remake of the last level of Episode 4 of what 'really happned' ...
What do you mean "really happened"?

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Nov 29th, 2009, 18:14

BLOODTheChosenOne wrote:
What do you mean "really happened"?
Yep....

I was also thinking of using the HoE as a central hub similar to the the hub from Quake which you'll find exits/portals that lead to Cheogh's/Shial's/Cerberus's realms which finally you have to kill the new Chosen (priests/beasts) in order to fight Tchernobog or something...

Or maybe not make the HoE a central and make the levels go in order...

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » Nov 29th, 2009, 18:25

maybe you should use a sliding curtain in the crematorium room:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFn90yygQ1Q

:thumbsup:

BLOODTheChosenOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by BLOODTheChosenOne » Nov 29th, 2009, 20:01

Yep....

I was also thinking of using the HoE as a central hub similar to the the hub from Quake which you'll find exits/portals that lead to Cheogh's/Shial's/Cerberus's realms which finally you have to kill the new Chosen (priests/beasts) in order to fight Tchernobog or something...

Or maybe not make the HoE a central and make the levels go in order...
Holy crap! I just got an idea! Instead of hiting the switch to end the level you go through a portal! And when you finish all the boss levels you teleport back to Hall of Epiphany to face Tchernabog himself!

btw, I think moving curtains would be cool but there's something that's going to happen when you pick up the key and if I make them that way it won't work. but dont lose hope... I might do it anyways. It looks cool so i want to try it. i'll explain latter.