Red Fanatic's Purgatory

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Red Fanatic's Purgatory

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Apr 24th, 2009, 14:03

Perhaps this could be something to hold you over about Bloody Pulp Fiction since Red Fanatic is involved creating the second episode of it along with wangho but has anyone played this particular map called Purgatory? I have to say it's probably the most creepiest and disturbing maps I ever played especially the checkerboard covered "laboratory" from the first level it looks it came from straight from a nightmare and especially the checkerboard "laboratory" seemed to be where that the souls are eaten alive by spiders till the point their torn apart until they are resembled back together only to have the process repeated again...and again....(Or Red Fanatic could clarify whats going on in those underground checkerboard laboratories in the first level)

Another thing that creeped me out was the prison cells in the second especially the big fleshy mouth that appeared in both the "Inflammatory room" and that one prison cell where it appeared to be feeding the souls there which I didn't know that you actually have to jump into the mouth and fight a few gilla beasts to get the moon key. The question is, what is that big fleshy thing in the prison cells? Perhaps Red Fanatic if your reading this could explain in details what the hell is going on in those areas in each of those maps especially the ones I mentioned? I also heard your making Purgatory 2.0 which I think this could the official thread for posting screenshots of it (and I also hope that the source code gets released anytime sooner so it would allow you to be even more creative)

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Apr 25th, 2009, 04:47

Huh this is a nice surprise Blood of Nightmares, nice to know someone out there is still playing old Purge.

To be honest the feel of Purgatory was quite a shock to me too, for the most part i don't really like 'Horror' games Blood only appeals to me because it doesn't take it's self seriously, it's like a comic book.

But Purge was my first EVER mapping attempt and i think i must have been focused
on the more ugly side of Horror rather than the comic book, and the result is a strangely threatening world.

As for what was 'going' on inside the various levels of Purgatory well it was basically quite machine like.
On the first level you enter the Hell like processing zone, symbolized by the crowd of innocents waiting to be sent further up.
On this first level it's all about pain there's torture, experimentation and death.
I was trying to create a Dante's inferno type world so really whatever you imagine is whats going on as you say BON the Lab is just a collection of creepy idea's and effects as i explored mapedit, infact originally the entire lab was going to be a secret but half way through it's construction i discovered the xSector limit and so it was converted to a major part of the map, My aim was to make it feel infested by spiders like they pretty much filled the walls.

As for Punishment well as the name suggests it's the prison level of Purge and is where the souls who are processed end up,
Here i was starting to understand multilevel mapediting and although it was still confusing i at least knew how to start, so it's a lot more organized and thought out.

The Prison is almost an enemy in it's own right, clearly there's just not enough cell space on the second level so the Building it's self becomes
the cell by consuming the imprisoned souls right out of the cells.
In order to really get across the 'It's in the walls' feel (and to further play with the magic of sector stacks) I made not only the mouth that had opened in one of the cells but also on the second floor of the prison there is a small infirmary where rather than use a bin for waste and excess limbs the doctors just throw it all into the building monster via the waste tube.

Once again this is the reason why it's so creepy i think, I didn't approach it as just a map but more like a world so it has a weird logic and design.

After Punish comes despair and thats what i tried to create mood wise with every part of it.
It's big, open, bleak and starting to become a bit more inter-dimensional in order to introduce the idea of the final level.

There are the Zombie factories which were born basically out of the problem of fitting anything new into the big open spaces and odd shapes of a massive cylinder, again it's all horribly well thought out, The pyres around the ring are slowly melting down the bodies into a sort of mush which is then pumped into the factories and processed into fresh zombies.

The other feature on this level is the 'portal' rooms to the four generals,
and these are again just ways to expand the play area and avoid sameness plus at the time RaRaGazarr from Transfusion was my playtester and so Ragazz the Phantasm lord it really just a way of saying thanks to him for his invaluable error spotting.

Finally Redemption the most experimental level yet putting together all the knowledge i'd learned from the previous three.
The whole idea of this one is that Caleb himself is responsible for the way it looks, so anywhere that you see the animated water texture turned grey your actually looking into the blank void from which and in which the whole of Purgatory exists.

But even though it's a reflection of the person seeing it, it's also a real genuine dimension and there are creatures such as Techernobog who can travel between such dimensions, so thats why a large part of the map is being 'invaded' by yet more oozing biomass.

The real key points of Redeem though are the Stone gargoyle fight and the end.
The Stone gargoyle is in fact Cheough or at least a recreation of him for the benefit of Caleb, The whole podium you fight on is an exact recreation of the end of episode one in original Blood,
This of course symbolises Caleb releasing himself of the burden of Ophilias death.

And then the end where Caleb has to fight none other than himself inorder to finally free himself of the burning revenge and rejoin his soul.
In the final arena i was having trouble filling it out and finally settled on a waterfall of Blood, which turned out to be not only a nice aesthetic touch but a nicely apt way to win by drowning all the mini Calebs.

Now finally on this ludicrously long post, The idea behind Purgatory was born by the line in the original Blood story 'Torn your soul to shreds in service to the cabal'
So the entire journey is because Caleb has a sort of split personality Cabal-Caleb and Original-Caleb, and while these to parts are separate he is weak and lost. So his far more magically powerful Soul drags him down into Purgatory and sends him through these tests in order to rejoin with him and once again Live, Hence the "I Live Again" at the very end thats not Caleb thats his soul.

As for Purge2.0 yeah this is a perfect place to have it's various screenies and info (when i have some)
Not really sure what i'm going to do with it either just re-edit original Purge taking into account my greater knowledge or make a whole new version or expansion of the idea but we'll see, perhaps some one has suggestions about which way i could take it.
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jun 30th, 2009, 14:57

Red Fanatic, I wonder what is the solution to the key symbol password to end the first level?

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Jul 1st, 2009, 05:02

From left to right Dagger Eye Fire

If you look at the tomb crypts dotted about just before and once after the temple you'll see the code hints on them.

and as soon as you've got it right there should be a click, then just head back to the main room and press the button on the small pedestal out over the fire pit.
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]