Blood on the HL2 Source Engine

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Blood on the HL2 Source Engine

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Apr 7th, 2009, 13:10

I was looking through Modb and look what I have found...

Blood on the HL2 Source Engine.

Thoughts?

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Apr 7th, 2009, 13:14

Too early to say?

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 7th, 2009, 13:23

Was brought to my attention. Another misguided effort, thinking that Blood's essence comes only from its art and sound. Still, it's very early and this one might be interesting to keep an eye on.

Edit: Just spotted this; "which is exactly what I hope to acheive: The same game, only more atmospheric, surreal, detailed, graphic and more.....Bloody."

More atmospheric than Blood? Haha, well, I wish him the best of luck.

Edit again: I see Bone of Fear put in a good word, haha.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Apr 7th, 2009, 23:03

I think we should give them a chance since I don't think that this project is going to be as bad as Hypertension however. At least their not going to sell it and it is only going to be downloadable for free.
Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Apr 7th, 2009, 23:34, edited 6 times in total.

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Apr 7th, 2009, 23:13

We have to keep an eye on it.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Apr 8th, 2009, 00:29

Well they're talented, the weapon models are well made and faithful to the original sprites, whether the rest of the mod will match that quality remains to be seen.
[quote="Umnir"]The final boss of HL.. It's like running on sharp glass, acid raining on you while there's two pineapples in your ass sideways and bulldogs are trying to eat your balls.[/quote]

Snake Plissken
Pink on the Inside

Post by Snake Plissken » Apr 8th, 2009, 13:22

Requiem wrote:Well they're talented, the weapon models are well made and faithful to the original sprites, whether the rest of the mod will match that quality remains to be seen.
I agree.The difficult part,howewher,will be recreating blood's physics and atmosphere.
I am watching this mod.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Apr 8th, 2009, 14:00

I think if everything would be done right, this could have potential. The physics engine could recreate flying zombies very well.. however, the blood and gore in return will propably disappear. :(
Speaking of that, they should make a engine that can rip arms and legs apart and heads etc etc

roast
New user

Post by roast » Apr 8th, 2009, 21:31

Hi guys,

Roast here, head of the Blood Source mod.

I think the general feeling you guys are giving is "If it aint broke, don't fix it"

:)

I'm fairly confident that we could be able to improve upon Blood. The origional game took us all by storm. It truely is one of the best FPS's out there. I just believe its a waste of a good franchise for Monolith (and all the corporate bullshitters that bought them out) to just consider Blood an old cult classic.

When I told people about this mod, some were excited, some were sceptical. I think you guys are the latter.

Postmortem seems to be the only (decent) Blood community still availible, so I personally think it would be great if all of you can provide suggestions for what may make this Mod even better.

I dont want to Warp the game into being my own personal preference...I want it to be Nostalgic for all involved. Create the same game, only improve upon it.

Whos up for helping out?

Cheers,
Mick.

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Apr 8th, 2009, 21:39

Well as for me, I guess I can copy & paste some feedback I posted (as Nannak) in your Modb forum perhaps...

1. A complex gore system/animations engine to games like Soldier of Fortune, Turok games, Chasm: The Rift, etc which involves ripping off arms and legs apart and heads and especially keeping the bodies/gore/entrails/severed limbs on the floor rather than disappearing (although can be blown up) like in the original game. Not to mention that the the physics engine could recreate zombies and other enemies flying off the screen when blown very well.

2. Perhaps you people can make a accurate depiction of the boss levels from the FMV videos especially the Hall of Epiphany if you can compare the FMV to the actual retail level seeing how completely different they look and I would think HL2 engine would support such a detailed level.

3. I have question though, will the levels in this be exact duplicates of the retail Blood levels or they would be entirely original levels that are somewhat representing or reminiscing the retail levels? Will the textures will be from the original game or they would be newly made scratch (or both)? If this mod basing on original levels then I got some level suggestions...

1. Insane Asylum
2. Opera House
3. Refinary Factory Plant
4. Downtown areas
5. Neighborhoods
6. Wilderness areas
7. Large Hospital
8. Cathedral
9. Carnival/Circus (like in the original game)
10. New England towns
11. Old Western Ghost Towns and Native American cliff dwellings (reflecting Caleb's past as a gunfighter back in the day)
12. Mines
13. Medieval Castles
14. European cities

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Apr 8th, 2009, 21:44

I like you, Roast.

I hope you reconsider the motion to implement reloading to some weapons. I am fairly confident that original developers and programmers were not impaired for the knowledge of how to do it, but it simply was done on purpose. I think changing a single detail about how the weapons work (if you are working on a remake) would mess with BLOOD's pace and multiplayer balance which are some of the strongest selling points of the game from the technical side of things. Remember that additional realism does not make a game better. BLOOD was certainly not such a great game because of it's realism.

Instead of changing things, consider adding things to the game. That's the kind of creativity that I value. And always make sure that the things that you are adding (or changing to an extent) belong to the BLOOD universe and don't mess with it's theme.

Enjoy your stay.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

roast
New user

Post by roast » Apr 8th, 2009, 21:55

Dimebog wrote:I like you, Roast.

I hope you reconsider the motion to implement reloading to some weapons. I am fairly confident that original developers and programmers were not impaired for the knowledge of how to do it, but it simply was done on purpose. I think changing a single detail about how the weapons work (if you are working on a remake) would mess with BLOOD's pace and multiplayer balance which are some of the strongest selling points of the game from the technical side of things. Remember that additional realism does not make a game better. BLOOD was certainly not such a great game because of it's realism.

Instead of changing things, consider adding things to the game. That's the kind of creativity that I value. And always make sure that the things that you are adding (or changing to an extent) belong to the BLOOD universe and don't mess with it's theme.

Enjoy your stay.

Certainly, I will not implement reloading, if thats what the masses prefer.
Blood of Nightmares wrote:Well as for me, I guess I can copy & paste some feedback I posted (as Nannak) in your Modb forum perhaps...

1. A complex gore system/animations engine to games like......

2. Perhaps you people can make a accurate depiction of the boss levels....

3. I have question though, will the levels in this be exact duplicates of the retail Blood levels........
1. Check out these links:
http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screensh ... mall_1.jpg
http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screensh ... _large.jpg
Just to give you an idea of the Gibbing that source can support. I cant find any more screenshots, but certainly check out "dark Messiah Of Might And Magic"

2 and 3. Each level is going to be extremely close to the origional levels. There will be some differences, however, to the structure of some of the maps. And before anyone asks, no: There will be no un-necesarily huge maps or modifications to the maps. No textures will be imported from the Retail version. All textures will be sourced from resources availible on the internet, and we have two Texture artists working on recreating the Retail textures into higher-quality.

Thanks,
Mick.

EDIT: And thanks for the welcome. :)

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 8th, 2009, 21:57

Welcome to our sacred circle, Mick.

It's in our nature to be a bit sceptical of these things, as Blood's been quite mistreated over the years, but I think the general feeling towards this is very warm and you're in the Posty (Postmortem) good books now that you've asked for our piece. ;)

I'll offer you a few pieces of sage advice with regards to your mission of preserving Blood:

1) Do not interfere with the protagonist's appearance, personality or voice. Tchernobog, or at least his influence, is a necessity as well.
2) Keep the movement and physics as close to the original as possible.
3) Preserve the integrity of the artistic apperance and sound.
4) Don't let Half-Life influence your potential level design. Blood is about a key, a switch and slaughter. That's the secret to its success.

Have fun with it and please feel free to ask questions any time. I'm sure many of our number will be delighted to lend their opinion, so stick around.

Stay fresh!
Last edited by Daedalus on Apr 8th, 2009, 22:04, edited 3 times in total.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Apr 8th, 2009, 21:59

I have a question, can the HL2 engine even support huge maps?
Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Apr 8th, 2009, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Apr 8th, 2009, 22:03

good luck with the project, roast. Keep it real