Some Cryptic Passage stuff

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Some Cryptic Passage stuff

Post by Daedolon » Jan 6th, 2016, 19:41

Once again I was scouring the depths of the internet, and while most of this stuff is not new to anyone, I thought I'd put them all in a single thread for easy access.

---

Here's all of the Sunstorm.net newsposts about Cryptic Passage:

08/28/97 - Cryptic Passage Bug Fixes
Corrected all known bugs with CP - In the Cryptic Passage section, you will now find a new file that you can download that fixes all known problems related to Cryptic Passage installation, etc. The most notable, however, are the Pentium II crashing problem, and installing to a version of Blood higher than 1.02. We apologize for the trouble, and hope this helps you out!

06/07/97 -- Update on various items!
The Cryptic Passage Add-On has entered final testing... expect to see it on the shelves by July 7th.

05/29/97 -- Cryptic Passage Teaser Ready!
"Cryptic Passage" is nearing completion! Download the teaser level 'Lost Monastery' to get a feel for the incredible levels we're creating for this add-on.

04/04/97 -- New Blood Add-On Under Development!
Sunstorm is proud to announce that we've reached an agreement to produce an OFFICIAL add-on for the hot new 3D shooter - BLOOD from Monolith Productions. Entitled 'Cryptic Passage', this add-on features an entirely new episode! Visit our 'Cryptic Passage' page for regular updates!

---

The official screenshots c/o Sunstorm Interactive.

---

And some early web graphics for the game.

Banner c/o GT Interactive

Banner c/o WizardWorks

And of course the classic box art c/o WizardWorks

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Re: Some Cryptic Passage stuff

Post by Daedolon » Jan 6th, 2016, 20:07

For the high resolution version of the old cover, I finally uploaded it here.

1MB warning.
Spoiler: show

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 6th, 2016, 20:14

Another fun thing to note is the original level names.

Levels include: Creepy Boat Docks, Old Opera House, Gothic Library, Lost Monastery, Steamboat, Graveyard, Abysmal Mine Shaft, Mountain Pass, Ancient Castle and Boggy Creek!

Compared to the final Boat Docks, Abysmal Mine and Castle.

Suture
Doin' Thangs

Post by Suture » Jan 6th, 2016, 20:53

Don't forget ERIE BOAT DOCKS from the boxart! :D Also, the word "abysmal" is not the right word to use to describe a level.
Dimebog wrote:Start fearing my dick and stop spamming.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jan 7th, 2016, 04:18

Uhh.. what level is that 2nd shot with Tchernie from? I honestly don't recall ever seeing that D:
It is better to light a candle then to curse the darkness...

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jan 7th, 2016, 07:41

It's "staged" and is not from any level. The structure is of course taken from Cryptic's final map. I suppose it was just something fun they threw together during development, or perhaps a screenshot they'd intended to use for their cinematics and later scrapped. I think it may appear on the actual box itself. I'd have to check again.

Fun thread. Thanks J!
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 7th, 2016, 15:25

It's also the only one of these screenshots that made it into the official final box art, it's on the back cover.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Jan 13th, 2016, 19:24

This is my first time seeing the old cover; I didn't even know there was one.

Thank you massa Daedolon for sharing this neat picture, and I sure am glad you didn't destroy it's precious quality for 56k's sake, as it is often the norm for other message boards.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 7th, 2018, 17:23

Amongst CDMag's E3 1997 coverage, MrFlibbly found an older version of the cover artwork with an alternate, wip title for the expansion. A fairly interesting development! :D

---

Passage to Transylvania
This add-on for Blood adds levels on boat docks, in an opera house and a mental hospital, and the requisite church monastery. – DOS