Cradle to Grave -- Your Blood experience will live again!

Discussion about editing and mapping for Blood.
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Cradle to Grave -- Your Blood experience will live again!

Post by Daedalus » Jun 23rd, 2008, 18:14

Greetings, gang. I wrote up this transcript for 3DRealms, but you lot deserve to know about it first, so read away, comment, ignore it, whatever you please. I post without further comment.

To whatever traces of Blood fans, Build enthusiasts and any heretical elements that may dwell within this place -- I bestow my warmest greetings.

I'm Matthew Kallis, a.k.a. 'Daedalus', a.k.a. 'The Dreaming God'. I'm well known in some Blood internet circles, notorious in others and my reputation doesn't precede me here, I would think, but that's not important. What's important is that I'm here to offer some fine news to all of you. I've acted as a voice for Blood on a great deal of occassions. Where old games are discussed and Blood isn't mentioned, I am there. Where underappreciated titles are weighed against each other and Blood is not mentioned, I am there. I've been a map editor in Blood for the past eight years or so and finally I've found my way here to spread the word on our latest monstrous creation -- Cradle to Grave, a hyper mod for the eDuke32 engine (a Build engine port originally developed by Matt Saettler). It is designed to bring the spirit of Blood to a wider and hopefully more industrious audience.

For those of you not in the know, Blood was a Build-based horror FPS released in 1997 by Monolith Productions. In it you assumed the role of Caleb, an undead gun-slinger, betrayed by his master, who carved a path of revenge through a multitude of macabre and shadowy environments. What set the game apart was not only its dark humour, atmosphere and setting, but gameplay so exciting and visceral that, as far as I'm concerned, it has yet to be matched.

Unfortunately Blood was largely overshadowed by more, shall we say, superficial products and this particular gem was largely uncelebrated. This stigma carries to this day, where you'll only find a few hundred Blood fans (or Bloodites) in existence. Thankfully, there are those of us who continue to fight the good fight in its name and one can find a few small, but fiercely loyal Blood communities if one buries deep enough. Due to a few management changes and obvious deadlines, Blood had a lot of original content which didn't make it into the final product. This curse extended further, with the second installment being a dismal display of ineptitude and half-realised ideas.

However, I am here to talk about Cradle to Grave, not Blood. If we are successful, Cradle to Grave will bring the frantic pace and hugely enjoyable gameplay of Blood into a new medium and with our new granted freedom we'll even be able to implement some of the ideas which didn't quite make it into the original, not limited to new and never released weaponary, enemies, gameplay modes and perhaps even magic. This product exists only as our homage to Blood's spirit and, if successful, it could help bring Blood's glory to new heights.

Before we have any misunderstandings, though, allow me to stress this now and may it always be remembered, Cradle to Grave is not an attempt to replace or reproduce Blood. If you feel like playing Blood (bless you), feel free to fire up DosBox. A time may come in future where C2G comes to resemble Blood on many levels, but the goal is not a replication of Blood as it stands, but rather an extension to the vast universe - a game which can hopefully share Blood's spirit, grace and intense gameplay.

It's been quite a journey, but so far we've made some tremendous progress with our coding and such. A deal of the weaponary is functional and we're staying true to the course. We'll be keeping you informed with detailed updates as progress and life allow and, as always, any comments, criticism or contribution would be respected.

To close off I'll offer the gift of imagery pertaining to our current quest.

And that is all, dear friends. I look forward to any future correspondence between our agents and the public.

All glory to Blood!

- Matt
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Jun 23rd, 2008, 18:35

this sounds great and wonderful, but im unsure of the multitude of implications here. Im not well-versed in Eduke32, but essentially, this is a mod that will or will not consist of new maps? Is this a campaign as well or are you guys building a some type of sandbox where people can play? XP and Vista support? Networking? Bloodlust and mushroom shrinking? I'd like to know more, feel free to splurge with more details..

mouth
Lightly Broiled

Post by mouth » Jun 23rd, 2008, 18:44

Awesome! Can't wait to play it. :)
Long live the new flesh!

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

Post by zZaRDoZz » Jun 23rd, 2008, 18:52

I knew you couldn't walk away.

Although your new and shockingly divine form was never expected.
Last edited by zZaRDoZz on Jun 24th, 2008, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jun 23rd, 2008, 19:01

wangho wrote:this is a mod that will or will not consist of new maps?
It will consist of new maps. Inclusion of retail maps will be easy once a couple of features are dealed with, as well.
wangho wrote:Is this a campaign as well or are you guys building a some type of sandbox where people can play?
Both!
wangho wrote:XP and Vista support? Networking?
Confirmed. It's a Windows port.
wangho wrote:Bloodlust and mushroom shrinking?
Not on the priority list, but we plan to include as much optional features, especially unused Alpha concepts, items and weapons.
wangho wrote:I'd like to know more, feel free to splurge with more details..
A dedicated website is due shortly. There will be much information shared there. In the meantime, feel free to ask questions here.

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jun 23rd, 2008, 19:19

I wonder if a accurate Hall of Epiphany from the actual FMV is going to be included on there...not mention is the Blood/gore effects included aswell?

Also, are new weapons going to be included aswell (like Caleb's old revolver pistol which you rip that off from ZBlood, the single dyminate and the Harpoon gun from the Alpha not mention the Beast mode)

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Jun 23rd, 2008, 19:39

I'm intrigued. I would be happy to work on the site. I've done projects like that before for my self.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jun 23rd, 2008, 19:40

Blood of Nightmares wrote:Also, are new weapons going to be included aswell (like Caleb's old revolver pistol which you rip that off from ZBlood, the single dyminate and the Harpoon gun from the Alpha not mention the Beast mode)
We are not going to 'rip' anything from ZBlood. And I don't remember that weapon you refer to, mentioned or seen in any Blood game ("Caleb's old revolver"). We discussed about the inclusion of the Speargun but it was overruled simply due to the lack of weapon art, and no particular effect that the weapon could potentially have. Basically, it wouldn't bring anything exciting or essentially new to the game. Wangho already asked about the Beast mode. It's not really on the priority list but adding the feature is fairly easy, and it will probably find it's place somewhere in the release. Perhaps as an optional feature for future modders/mappers.

A bit more on new weapons and items will be revealed soon. Perhaps when we finish that website. I also have to mention that not all decisions are final either.
Blood of Nightmares wrote:I wonder if the Hall of Epiphany from the actual FMV is going to be included on there...not mention is the Blood/gore effects included aswell?
Daedalus wrote:It's really just a series of stairs leading up to a block which contains the throne room we see in Rage. There wouldn't be much of a reason to make it, save for just being able to explore it in 3D space. It would never function as a map on its own.

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Jun 23rd, 2008, 19:43

Dimebog wrote:
wangho wrote:this is a mod that will or will not consist of new maps?
It will consist of new maps. Inclusion of retail maps will be easy once a couple of features are dealed with, as well.
cool, it'd be nice to port BPF over to it one day so these Duke Nukem douches can check it out as well. That and the fact that DOSBOX chokes up on some areas pretty roughly

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Jun 23rd, 2008, 23:33

Now this is some good news, definitely looking forward to seeing some new eye candy while the overall progress continues. I'm glad you're back into mapping again Matt, just goes to show, for what may happen to yourself at one moment, won't always affect the future, for it is what you create. I wish you, and to all who are participating in this project good luck, although really luck is something you've never needed, for you always succeed, no matter the duration.

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

Post by zZaRDoZz » Jun 24th, 2008, 00:05

94 hits in just 4 hours!

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Jun 24th, 2008, 01:33

It's good to see the announcement of this project finally made. From what I've already seen of all this, it looks great and has huge potential for expanding on the Blood universe and bringing new life to the community.

Wishing you all the best of luck with the future development of this project!

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Jun 24th, 2008, 01:45

Crafty! Dress it up as a Duke Nukem mod, but then hit em in the face with everything Blood. Just go easy on the hands, people don't play Blood because they don't like the hands. Buncha pillow-biters..

The graveyard shot looks great

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jun 24th, 2008, 14:27

Ah Matt your eternal devotion to Blood never ceases to amaze me. I say, I bet my ass you'd marry her in a heartbeat if by some form of phenomenal events she took the form of flesh and bone. I enjoyed how you managed to squeeze a description of Blood into a mere 3 sentence paragraph, however I believe it holds a greater purpose. You appear to be shaking a fist of resentment at those who have forgotten about this extradonary game, hence the tone:
Daedalus wrote:For those of you not in the know

I find it a bold move because it reinforces the current state of this forum board. Even after carefully planning the posts I have created in the 'Blood' section for others enjoyment, I find to be ignored or perhaps my fellow Bloodites have not the memory nor the effort for discussing Blood. I shall be producing deep, detailed, thorough posts on the other episodes soon. In order to truly explain what I love about these uniquely designed levels, you can take a peak at my current annotations here. And yes, whilist it has been discussed numerous times I'm sure, It would do Tchernie justice to resurrect the section and discuss Blood once more, really it leaves one with a sour feeling.

However it would be very interesting to hear of Jason Hall's reaction if you were to inform him of your current activities. I'm sure he'd be delighted seeing as he holds Blood as the crowning achievement of his delicious mind. In celebration of your devotion and hard work, I shall be once again attempting 'Even Death May Die' on Extra Crispy. Right after I'm done sharing thoughts with my favourite forum board, and have a helluva good time doing so. Wish me luck mentally or physically, the choice is yours. Bravo! bravo! you Kings of Glory

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jun 24th, 2008, 14:47

Krypto wrote:Wish me luck mentally or physically, the choice is yours. Bravo! bravo! you Kings of Glory
Good luck on your undertakings, Ali.

The line that you refer to was aimed at the 3DRealms community, as Matt's post consecutively appeared on both boards. And no, we are not aiming this project at Dukers (if that's what you meant, Wangho), we simply announced it on there because we were expecting to get some assistance from the modding community that's into the matter. The project mainly belongs to Posty and good people that are still loyal to BLOOD wherever they may be.