Possible to view Numerical Info like Weapon Damage?

Discussion about editing and mapping for Blood.
Post Reply
Doommarine23
New user
Posts: 5
Joined: Jun 8th, 2015, 08:55

Possible to view Numerical Info like Weapon Damage?

Post by Doommarine23 » Sep 20th, 2015, 02:29

Hello, I apologize for the slightly vague title but I didn't know what else to call it.

To make this short, I'm working on a project related to Blood. I am aiming to recreate things from Blood with as much accuracy as possible, this involves a lot of research on my part like watching in-game behaviors of enemies and weapons. For those curious, yes later on when I have things more developed, I do plan on a thread here and on other websites; but for now it will be under-wraps for the most part.

However, one thing that is fairly difficult to gauge is the hard numbers. Things like how much health enemies have, or how much damage a single Thompson bullet does. I can definitely guesstimate by playing the game and counting how many shots it takes, but honestly it would just be faster and more accurate to know the real numbers.

I am aware that the game's source code was never released, however I am also aware that Duke3D a fellow BUILD game could have some of its variables viewed and edited in a game configuration file. I am wondering if Blood has anything like this? If its possible to find these hard numbers or if anyone knows? It would really help what I'm trying to develop and let me make this as accurate as possible.

Thanks for reading, have a bloody weekend. I apologize to stick this into the modding section when tis technically not a mod, but I figured this would be the best spot to put it into.

User avatar
Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside
Posts: 352
Joined: Jan 6th, 2011, 22:28

Re: Possible to view Numerical Info like Weapon Damage?

Post by Status Cruo » Sep 21st, 2015, 02:14

Well, that pretty much belongs in the realm of reverse engineering, and the reason it hasn't been done yet is because it would be an incredibly tedious, time-consuming task, and a labor likely to be bestowed in vain without parallel work on the physics. If there was an equivalent to good ole' olly for dos binaries, I'd probably be first in line, but mere disassembling, no way on earth.

The blood wiki has some very basic documentation on hitpoints, but that's as good as it gets.

Try it, document it, compare it, double check it; I'm afraid that's anybody's best shot as the whole matter stands.

Doommarine23
New user
Posts: 5
Joined: Jun 8th, 2015, 08:55

Re: Possible to view Numerical Info like Weapon Damage?

Post by Doommarine23 » Sep 21st, 2015, 10:30

Status Cruo wrote:Well, that pretty much belongs in the realm of reverse engineering, and the reason it hasn't been done yet is because it would be an incredibly tedious, time-consuming task, and a labor likely to be bestowed in vain without parallel work on the physics. If there was an equivalent to good ole' olly for dos binaries, I'd probably be first in line, but mere disassembling, no way on earth.

The blood wiki has some very basic documentation on hitpoints, but that's as good as it gets.

Try it, document it, compare it, double check it; I'm afraid that's anybody's best shot as the whole matter stands.
Sadly, I expected this to be the answer but I am really glad you confirmed it for me, thank you. I hope to make some good documentation to at least fill up the wiki a bit and give it for other people's usage. Have a great day, that pretty much sums it all up for this thread. :D

User avatar
Dimebog
Troll of the Opera
Posts: 2165
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 15:48
Contact:

Re: Possible to view Numerical Info like Weapon Damage?

Post by Dimebog » Sep 21st, 2015, 16:28

Actually this info is documented somewhere but you have to be a little patient, I'll try to find it.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.


Doommarine23
New user
Posts: 5
Joined: Jun 8th, 2015, 08:55

Re: Possible to view Numerical Info like Weapon Damage?

Post by Doommarine23 » Dec 1st, 2015, 05:01

I am sorry for the late reply but thank you very much! That is really going to help a lot!
Dimebog wrote:Actually this info is documented somewhere but you have to be a little patient, I'll try to find it.
While Daedolon found it, I want to say thank you regardless! It was very kind of you.

Thank you both!

Post Reply