Varying Wall Shades

Discussion about editing and mapping for Blood.
DwayneA
Still Kicking

Varying Wall Shades

Post by DwayneA » Jan 7th, 2012, 05:57

One thing I've noticed while playing through the original levels of Blood is that walls have a various levels of shading. For example, one wall is lighter than the one next to it and one has a darker shade. I was wondering why this is and if anyone actually uses it in their levels.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Re: Varying Wall Shades

Post by Daedolon » Jan 7th, 2012, 11:23

It's very important to distinguish walls from another, the biggest amateur mistake I see in addition to the wrong scale of the levels is terrible shading or complete lack of shading. Leaving all walls with the same shade makes the level look very flat and have no visual depth to it.

Even Wolfenstein 3D used this, north and south walls have a different shade from the east and west walls. Modern games use SSAO to achieve a similar effect.

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Jan 7th, 2012, 15:22

Like Daedolon said.. it's very important.. when I shade a level I try to think about how light would fall in real life depending on the light sources available, and try to replicate in mapedit (which wall should be darker and lighter and so on) and faking shadows with sectors is also a necessity.. And it's also very hard to distinguish stuff in maps that don't have shading.. especially when playing in 320x200.. so yes, ALWAYS use shading.. although it takes a little more effort.

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » Jan 7th, 2012, 18:01

Apparently Tekedon already knows about this but I think this map has amazing shading.

DwayneA
Still Kicking

Post by DwayneA » Jan 7th, 2012, 20:31

well how do I know how much shading a wall needs? I'm still so confused. Usually in my maps, I give all outdoor sectors the same level of shading.

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Jan 8th, 2012, 00:28

well look at the outside of the white morgue from "Cradle To Grave" and take a tip from there. It just depends on what kind of discerning eye the map-maker has. Experiment until it looks good to you. You should read John K's blog about animation, it'll teach a lot about structure. It applies to making a Blood map I think.

DwayneA
Still Kicking

Post by DwayneA » Jan 8th, 2012, 02:23

what's the link for this blog?

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » Jan 8th, 2012, 04:12

DwayneA wrote:well how do I know how much shading a wall needs? I'm still so confused. Usually in my maps, I give all outdoor sectors the same level of shading.
I'm sorry but this question is just ridiculous. There is no way to calculate the shading of a map mathematically. You shade the map according to how YOU want.

DwayneA
Still Kicking

Post by DwayneA » Jan 9th, 2012, 20:45

can someone give me some tips on how to do this?

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Jan 11th, 2012, 19:32

Just try to look at it with an artistic eye.. what looks good to YOU usually looks even better to OTHERS... as I said.. try to watch shadows/lighting in real life to get an idea how to shade.. You're not supposed to recreate real-life lighting perfectly.. (the sector count wouldn't suffice).. If you have trouble figuring out how light would fall.. try to place a desklamp or something close to an object for help... But I'm sure you can figure out how shadows fall without doing that, and which walls should be darker than others.. just saying.. if you have trouble, it could help.

DwayneA
Still Kicking

Post by DwayneA » Jan 11th, 2012, 21:02

well I have got shadows where needed. Shading is darker indoors, except around lights, and lighter outdoors, except where shadows are used.

Yet in the original Blood levels, I've noticed that one wall is much lighter or darker than another. The same applies to floors and ceilings.

For example, in Cradle to Grave, the very first level, the stairs leading down to the funeral home become darker as you go down. Also, the wall of the building itself is very light compared to the surrounding brick wall.

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Jan 12th, 2012, 18:38

Maybe they wanted the building to kind of "stand out", and that's why they made it brighter... or might just be because it's a brighter color.. I don't know.. might just be mistakes.. I remember the first map I uploaded to blood.freeminded.de... someone complained about the shading, that the floor in one room was way brighter than some bookshelves.. which was true when looking at the map years after.. but that map was stitched together with even older unfinished maps of mine.. I would just experiment with the shading until it looks good to you.. there is not one correct way to shade.. also depends on what kind of feeling you wan't the map to express.

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » Jan 18th, 2012, 13:16

Imagine the light source and then shade high contrast pronouncing the edges of the scene - kinda like Doom3.
After that smooth things out - keep in mind that non realistic shading can look better than realistic one.
As mentioned before - what you find artistically most pleasing.

All important items/locations(keys, doors, powerups, etc.) should get some extra light, so that the player has a basic path of visual impulses to guide him/her.