It's A War Out There Version 2

Discussion about editing and mapping for Blood.
That_one_guy
Still Kicking

It's A War Out There Version 2

Post by That_one_guy » Apr 19th, 2011, 06:50

I know it's been hardly a day since I released it, but I've already found several things wrong with it's a war out there, and have updated it. The update has the following additions/improvements.

1. A new cutscene.
2. Improved shadows/shading to certain parts of the map.
3. Fixed a couple of small bugs.

Please give this update a play or two, and tell me if everthing works right for you. And if you have time, please comment and rate, but keep in mind it's my first map. :D

http://blood.freeminded.de/index.php?se ... aps&id=248

That_one_guy
Still Kicking

Re: It's A War Out There Version 2

Post by That_one_guy » Apr 19th, 2011, 06:54

Oh yes, almost forgot the screenies.

Jerry
Still Kicking

Post by Jerry » Apr 19th, 2011, 16:16

Well, here is my review:

At first I have to say this is a better-than-average beginner map. The intro is nice although the whole story could be more comprehend :lol: . I was quite suprised at the realistic looking of buildings, especially the final temple was done very well. The amount of sprites is suitable, many gib objects...I like it. But I was disapointed when I was looking for some shading. Yes, there are some areas with shadows but I hoped for more detailed environment. This lack of shadow is usual in beginners' maps so you don't have to worry about it. I am fond of your work with textures and different areas, I was able to travel through many of them. The game was longer than I expected but I wasn't bored. The design of this map has no bigger problems, well done!
There was only one thing that annoyed me a bit. Your map isn't linear at all. Each map should have a theme - a factory, a city, a cemetery, etc... This map has none and therefore I wasn't able to expect what will come next and the constant changing of environments made me somewhat frustrated. My advice is to think about the theme at first and then to start mapping.
Overall I enjoyed this map and I am looking forward to your next one. :wink:

Btw, which program have you done the cutscene with?
I want Jo-Jo! I want Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo! JO-JOOOO!

That_one_guy
Still Kicking

Post by That_one_guy » Apr 19th, 2011, 18:18

I'm glad my first map wasn't a failure :D

As for the cutscene I used a variety of programs to make it, but the most vital program would have to be this .smk converter.

http://trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4473

Basically you make the cutscene in whatever program you want and once your done publish it in .avi format. Then all you got to do is convert it into .smk using the converter. Then you put the scene into your blood directory and make it run in game by adding these parameters to your ini file.

[Episode1]
CutSceneA=C:\AWARCS.smk
CutWavA=C:\AWARCS.wav
Title = its a war out there
Map1 = AWAR

[AWAR]
Title = it's a war out there
Author = Joe Anderson
Song = cblood10
Track = 8

The only problem is the converter may not run on vista or 7, but it works fine on XP.

NoOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by NoOne » Apr 19th, 2011, 18:28

I go to play it :)
NoOne

Jerry
Still Kicking

Post by Jerry » Apr 20th, 2011, 14:39

Thank you about information about SMK, but I already have it and I am working with it. I was curious about the programs you created AVI file with, could you recommend me one?
I want Jo-Jo! I want Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo! JO-JOOOO!

That_one_guy
Still Kicking

Post by That_one_guy » Apr 20th, 2011, 19:00

Jerry wrote:Thank you about information about SMK, but I already have it and I am working with it. I was curious about the programs you created AVI file with, could you recommend me one?
Well I built the cutscene in Game Maker 7 and recorded it with Hypercam 2 because it records things in avi format.