A few questions about level/mod building

Discussion about editing and mapping for Blood.
That_one_guy
Still Kicking

A few questions about level/mod building

Post by That_one_guy » Feb 25th, 2011, 22:11

As some of you may know, I've been working on a map for blood, and thanks to the tutorials by Craig Duckett "Control-Z" and my doombuilder experience I've been able to figure out mapedit quite easily. However there are still a few things I have yet to understand, and I ask anyone who may be reading this post to assist me if possible.

Here are some questions I have.
1. I want to add my own title screen to my map, how would I go about doing this?
2. I'm having a difficult time making gibbable objects, could someone provide step by step instructions on how to do this?
3. Basically any kind of tips/instuctions on the use of artedit.
4. When I finally get around to putting an end switch in my level, how would I make it so when you press it it takes you to the credits?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated :)

If you wish to try a peice of my map, it is located in this post
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1597

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Re: A few questions about level/mod building

Post by Tekedon » Feb 26th, 2011, 15:12

I'll help you on number 2 :)

press alt + F6 on the sprite you want to make a gib object

change Type to 416: gib object

data1: gib number
data2: gib number
data3: non usable
data4: sound it makes when you destroy it (check sounds by choosing a number and pressing F10)

Now just make sure the sprite is hitscan sensetive.. do this by pressing ctrl + h on the sprite in 3d-mode or 2d-mode.

Jerry
Still Kicking

Post by Jerry » Feb 26th, 2011, 15:48

Hi!

1. I'm not sure what do you want to do. Maybe it is because my english isn't very good.
You can change titles of your episodes/levels in INI file. If you want to change the menu screen you will have to modify ART files with Artedit or Editart but I'm not skilled in using these programs so I can't provide much information.

2. As Tekedon said.

3. Sorry, I don't use this program.

4. Press alt+F6 on the sprite (usually sprite #318 is used for the end switch) then choose Type 20: Toogle switch TX ID: 4 and CMD: 1: ON . Also check going on, going off, trigger on push and dudelockout. And that's all!
I want Jo-Jo! I want Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo! JO-JOOOO!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Feb 26th, 2011, 16:49

1. If you mean graphical title screens like used in the Alone in the Dark mod, you'll have to replace existing artwork with EditArt. For cinematics, it's possible to include a new one through .ini editing, or use any of the already existing ones.

For creating new cinematics you could just use static images (with music and sound if you want) to create a "title screen" of sorts.

3. Not many use EditArt for creating completely new tiles, actually even the most robust EditArt magicians I know only import existing artwork into the program and only do some final touches in it; usually includes pixel-perfecting some places of the artwork or pixelating it to match the already existing artwork, but all of these is easier in a real program like Adobe Photoshop.

Editart is a mandatory tool for importing artwork to the game, but I would not suggest you trying to actually create new art with it. It's as the name suggest, the program is called EditArt, not CreateArt.

That_one_guy
Still Kicking

Post by That_one_guy » Feb 26th, 2011, 21:01

Daedolon wrote:Editart is a mandatory tool for importing artwork to the game, but I would not suggest you trying to actually create new art with it. It's as the name suggest, the program is called EditArt, not CreateArt.
What I would like to do is draw up a title pic in paint or something, and import it into my mod so it overwrites the exsisting image when the mod is played. Is this possible or am I thinking to much along the lines of doom?

Also I would like the music from E1M2 to play in my level, what line of code would I add to my ini to do this?

Heres my .ini file

[Episode1]
Title = its a war out there
Map1 = AWAR

[AWAR]
Title = it's a war out there
Author = TOT COMICS

Jerry
Still Kicking

Post by Jerry » Feb 27th, 2011, 13:24

In my opinion changing the title screen is too hard and it's not worth when you make only one level. I saw it only in larger add-ons. But I don't want to discourage you.
On the other hand the choice of music is very easy, just change your INI file this way:
[Episode1]
Title = its a war out there
Map1 = AWAR

[AWAR]
Title = it's a war out there
Author = TOT COMICS
Song = cblood10
I want Jo-Jo! I want Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo! JO-JOOOO!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Feb 27th, 2011, 14:02

If you want for people using CD audio to hear the same song, add this line after the Song line:

Code: Select all

Track = 8

That_one_guy
Still Kicking

Post by That_one_guy » Mar 1st, 2011, 06:03

Jerry wrote:In my opinion changing the title screen is too hard and it's not worth when you make only one level.
I don't know, I think it would be an interesting feature, especially considering it's a one level mod.

That_one_guy
Still Kicking

Post by That_one_guy » Mar 1st, 2011, 06:04

Daedolon wrote:If you want for people using CD audio to hear the same song, add this line after the Song line:

Code: Select all

Track = 8
Thank you, you and Jerry's code worked to perfection.

NoOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by NoOne » Mar 1st, 2011, 13:27

A little more on GIB objects...

For a field "data" you can read all numbers in MAPEDIT.TXT
Most likely to you will bother to adjust everyone GIB separately, therefore you can use copying:

1. In 2D a mode press <Shift + Right Mouse> and allocate with a pink framework necessary (already adjusted GIB object).
2. Press a key <Insert>. There will be a message: "Sprites duplicated and stamped".
3. New GIB there will be on the same place, as an original. You need to move his mouse.
NoOne