I need Blood mapedit help

Discussion about editing and mapping for Blood.
That_one_guy
Still Kicking

I need Blood mapedit help

Post by That_one_guy » Jul 14th, 2010, 22:24

As I've stated before I wish to build Blood maps, but the process of setting up and testing one seems quite difficult. I've used doombuilder so I know how sector based games are built/work so I don't need help in that department. So I have a few (dumb) questions.

1. Testing/playing a map. (I use Dosshell so keep that in mind.)
2. Any map configurations I may need to know. (if configuration is necissary.)
3. Placing objects.
4. Basically the basics of using mapedit such as floor heights, joining sectors, object placement, creating a door, and stuff like that.

I've studied Ilikemyhandsbloody's youtube tutorials but couldn't find answers to these questions.

Jerry
Still Kicking

Re: I need Blood mapedit help

Post by Jerry » Jul 15th, 2010, 12:35

I'm glad to see that new people are interested in creating Blood maps :) So let's begin.

1. Every map you want to test must have a configuration file. Let's say you create NEWMAP.map in Mapedit. Then you have to create NEWMAP.ini file in the main folder which contains the most important informations about the map.

2. NEWMAP.ini MUST contain these informations to work:
[Name of episode]
Map1 = NEWMAP
[NEWMAP]
It is recommended to look in blood.ini file. Many functions are described here. :wink:

For easy running of your map create file NEWMAP.txt in the main folder and write:
blood -ini NEWMAP.ini

Then change the name of file from NEWMAP.txt to NEWMAP.bat
Now every time you run NEWMAP.bat under DOSBOX you will play your new map.

3. and 4. Take a look into mapedit.txt almost everything is described here. 8)
If anything is unclear feel free to ask.
I want Jo-Jo! I want Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo! JO-JOOOO!

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Jul 28th, 2010, 22:26

Any map configurations I may need to know.

What do you mean exactly ?

As to adding an item, there are many possibilities.

If you want to create a crate or a shelf you might use a sector and apply wall textures so that it fits what you want, or if you want to add some decorations to the maps, enemies, weapons, you're going to need to use the sprites, which can be wall sprites, floor sprites and normal sprites.

When you are in 2D mode, place your cursor inside a sector and press . Normally a sprite should appear. You can transform it into a wall sprite (to make a painting for example) or a floor sprite (some blood on the ground for example, which can be added to the ceiling too) by going in 3D mode ([enter] on the numeric pad) and pressing [r] while your cursor is on the sprite. If you want to apply a texture to the sprite stay in 3D mode and press [v] twice to get the complete list of tiles available.

In 2D mode you can choose to directly modify a sprite because some are pre-recorded, such enemies, weapons, etc. Put your cursor on the sprite so that it flickers and I think the combination is [alt + f6]. Then you're going to be able to modify the id number of the sprite (the very first line) and you'll find the id numbers of cultist, machine gun, etc. (it will display the name so it's easy).

If you want to move your sprites up or down use the [pagedown] / [pageup] keys. You can use {ctrl + pageup / pagedown] if you want to stick a floor sprite directly to the ground or ceiling.

There are other advanced features with the sprites but I don't know if all I said is clear here so...let it be it at the moment.

Okay, um..I know there's a solution to rapidly insert an enemy or weapon in 3D mode but I don't remember the key.

Notice that I might be wrong in some key I told you above because it's been a while since I used mapedit, I have to get back to it soon though.

Some people here are good at maping so they'll tell you some things you need to know.

Daedalus is an absolute master of mapedit as far as I know, wangho, Redfanatic did a good add on too, I think Daedolon and Dimebog have skills too. So, ask what you want but don't expect too fast answers. You can find some interesting tutorials on the web too.

Otherwise :

3. and 4. Take a look into mapedit.txt almost everything is described here. 8)
If anything is unclear feel free to ask.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jul 30th, 2010, 12:06

Jerry wrote:2. NEWMAP.ini MUST contain these informations to work:
You can also launch maps from the command line, I honestly don't remember what it is for BLOOD, but Duke3D has this:

Code: Select all

duke3d.exe -map e1l1.map
I guess it might've been a variation of that, maybe "map" without the dash or with something else. I guess I could check it out.

Jerry
Still Kicking

Post by Jerry » Jul 30th, 2010, 22:32

Yes, you are right. Although for Blood the code is:

blood.exe -map e1m1.map
Also it is not necessary to write ".map" You can write only:

blood.exe -map e1m1
:thumbsup:

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Aug 15th, 2010, 09:03

You don't even need to write that. Just writing "Blood e1m1" works too. :)

Jerry
Still Kicking

Post by Jerry » Aug 15th, 2010, 16:40

Tekedon wrote:You don't even need to write that. Just writing "Blood e1m1" works too. :)
Owned! :lol:

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Aug 15th, 2010, 20:25

Strange. I can achieve the same just by concentrating.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Aug 16th, 2010, 16:23

Here's what i did to learn the secret Art of Mapedit.

First DL ---->THESE<--- then either have the ZMPrimer open in another window or what i did was Print it out and just refereed to it hen i got lost.
Then just make a few play around maps or even start a bit project and each time you need to learn something new for your Map search the text docs for help or play around with it until you find the right move.

Also make SURE to make lots of saves, when mapping i save as a new file pretty much after every change. by the time i've finished a map i usually have over 100 different version saved sometimes more.
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]