How do i run blood mods with dosbox?

Discussion about editing and mapping for Blood.
That_one_guy
Still Kicking

How do i run blood mods with dosbox?

Post by That_one_guy » May 27th, 2010, 02:26

A foolish question from me, but I need to know as im beginning to mod blood.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Re: How do i run blood mods with dosbox?

Post by morhlis » May 27th, 2010, 02:45

I use McTecman's Blood launcher. But that will only help me for what is listed in the launcher. If any new mods appear I'll have to learn how to do it as well.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Tecman
New user

Re: How do i run blood mods with dosbox?

Post by Tecman » May 27th, 2010, 20:36

You need to make a .conf file for each mod you'd like to launch, then create a shortcut / .bat file / make a launcher just so you can add it all to Steam which ends up being well-accepted ( :roll: :oops: :shock: ).

The essential thing is that you make a shortcut to DosBox, then use a commandline to load a .conf (configuration) file that you've also prepared which tells Dosbox how to behave, and more importantly, what to actually run in the Autoexec section of the file.

edit: To find out how to create a .conf file if you don't have the GOG.com version, please read this excellent topic: http://forums.the-postmortem.com/viewto ... f=2&t=1247 - Look for the section with III : DOSBOX, specifically part 6.

The tricky part is being sure how to load both assets and THEN being able to successfully "reach" whatever game file with its own parameters and mod specific .ini files. See, with shortcuts you can specify "run in" which tells Dosbox where to look for the .conf files. You cannot, for instance, use .bat files in the vanilla good old games version since Dosbox is inside its own folder and they don't allow a "run in" parameter. I know it sounds confusing as hell, but let me try to elaborate by using a post of mine from Good old Games' forums:
The command I mentioned:

BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH BLOOD.exe -ini ratm.ini -snd ratm.rff

actually runs it as a TC. ratm.ini is the file of interest here, since it specifies which maps go under which episode and bypasses the normal arrangement.

You may need to make a dosbox .conf file to load it. You can't just rename the existing Blood.ini because you won't get the additional assets, and you can't just write a .bat file because you can't tell Dosbox where to look for the config files for it unless you move Dosbox around.

Method 1 (overwriting)
Make a back up of the file "dosboxBlood.conf" in your installation folder so you can revert back to it later, then open dosboxBlood.conf and scroll down to the bottom part, under the AutoExec section, and change:

"blood.exe" or "blood" (or "BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH BLOOD.exe" if you're running BMouse, depending if you've already made changes)

to

BLOOD.exe -ini ratm.ini -snd ratm.rff (if you don't want to use bmouse)

-or-

BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH BLOOD.exe -ini ratm.ini -snd ratm.rff (if you want to use bmouse)

Now, whenever you will run "One Unit Whole Blood", it will run RATMEP1 instead.

Method 2 (Additional link)
If you want to make an alternative link just for the mod without messing up the main game, you need to make a copy of the .conf file which has the above-mentioned changes and name it something like "dosboxBloodMod.conf" and shortcut that goes something like this:

Original shortcut (the lines before OUHB should correspond to wherever you installed the game):
Target: "...\One Unit Whole Blood\DOSBOX\dosbox.exe" -conf dosboxBlood.conf -noconsole -c "exit"
Start In: "...\One Unit Whole Blood\"

New Shotcut (will be used to load the mod):
Target: "...\One Unit Whole Blood\DOSBOX\dosbox.exe" -conf dosboxBloodMod.conf -noconsole -c "exit"
Start In: "...\One Unit Whole Blood\"

What this does is:
1) Runs Dosbox
2) Uses the .conf file as instructions telling it what to load after the Dosbox loader is run, in our case it loads up the image file for the movies/music, then runs the game

IT IS VITAL THAT YOU HAVE A "Start In" section written that points to where the game and the .ini files are OR DOSBOX WILL BE LOOKING FOR THE CONFIG FILES IN ITS OWN FOLDER INSTEAD OF THE GAMES. Again, this is very important!

I know this is all confusing, but I have some experience with configuring these things. :P
http://www.nanoaugur.net/blood/mod.png

Apologies for the length.
Also, should any larger new mods come out, I am very likely to integrate it as well and release a patch. I know of at least two or three in the cooker. :D

edit: Also worth mentioning is that you can load multiple .conf files, so you could have one that dictates all the technical aspects like memory allocation and resolution of Dosbox itself, which type of renderer to use, etc etc etc... and then another one for the autoexec section. You simply use something like:
Target: "...\One Unit Whole Blood\DOSBOX\dosbox.exe" -conf firstmainconf.conf -conf modconf.conf -noconsole -c "exit"

Example from my launcher, note that the way I do it is by having one folder called Games, which then contains Dosbox and all the .conf files, the shaders, etc... and then game folders like /Blood/, /modnamefolder/, /CDMount/ - this is because some mod files would conflict, if you don't need that just keep everything in one folder and don't use cd Blood (change directory to subdirectory called Blood if you're unfamiliar with DOS) or whatever:

dosboxBlood.conf (also has an autoexec section - it loads the gog.com version's "fake cd" for audio/cutscenes):

Code: Select all

[sdl]
[IPX]
(omitted most of the file)

[autoexec]
@ECHO OFF
mount C "."
imgmount D CDMount/game.inst -t iso
dosboxBlood_main.conf:

[autoexec]
c:
cls
cd Blood
BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH BLOOD.EXE
exit
dosboxBlood_ratmep1.conf:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

c:
cls
cd ratmep1
BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH BLOOD.exe -ini ratm.ini -snd ratm.rff
exit
dosboxBlood_oldfriend.conf (some mods use .bat files to do some switching files around, so you need to load that):

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

c:
cls
cd friend
friend.bat
exit
Note that BMOUSE.exe is a 3rd party application that I seriously recommend (if you want to omit it, just erase "BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH " from those lines and it will load the game executable directly, not via bmouse): http://forums.the-postmortem.com/viewto ... =17&t=1166