New Mods and Maps

Discussion about editing and mapping for Blood.
morhlis
Pink on the Inside

New Mods and Maps

Post by morhlis » May 21st, 2010, 05:18

So...Anyone working on any new mods and/or maps?
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Re: New Mods and Maps

Post by wangho » May 21st, 2010, 05:52

I am! You know about it already I think

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 21st, 2010, 06:16

The one set in the Arctic am I correct?

Bloatoid
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bloatoid » May 21st, 2010, 08:30

Been working on something big. 8)

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » May 21st, 2010, 09:34

Bloatoid... you wouldn't possibly mean a followup to Inherit The Earth and Hostile Takeover would you? A trilogy?

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 21st, 2010, 19:03

Working as life seems fit to afford me, which seems very little.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Bloatoid
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bloatoid » May 22nd, 2010, 01:30

wangho wrote:Bloatoid... you wouldn't possibly mean a followup to Inherit The Earth and Hostile Takeover would you? A trilogy?
I won't reveal too much until more work is done, but it is already the largest add-on I've done so far. I was thinking of releasing a combo-pack with bugs from my other 2 add-ons fixed up and released with the new one, but I can't seem to open several levels in Mapedit anymore – it just crashes (example: HOS-e1m1). Same thing happens when I try to look at a BPF map in Mapedit. Anyone know what's going on?

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » May 22nd, 2010, 01:37

that's really awesome! Bigger than the first 2 means it's a pretty big project. I'm wondering if it's gonna be more in tone to the first or second and what kind of ideas you have for maps, but im sure you'll give a few tidbits as you proceed. This is very good news!

Im not sure about the problem opening up the maps. Maybe try changing the MSDos name perhaps by checking the map file's properties. I had to do that to be able to play a few maps with strange MSDos names. That's the only solution I can offer..BTW, did the NON-installer version of BPF work for you??

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 22nd, 2010, 03:06

Inherit The Earth and Hostile Takeover are both on the BloodLaucher McTecman posted on GoG and I can't wait to give them a try. They are obviously highly recommended. I'll be trying them out next, right after I get through with BPF.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 22nd, 2010, 03:22

I am still working on mine.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 22nd, 2010, 03:30

Daedolon wrote:I am still working on mine.
Forgive me, I am new here :( What is the nature of your, I'm sure, incredible mod?

Bloatoid
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bloatoid » May 22nd, 2010, 04:43

wangho wrote:that's really awesome! Bigger than the first 2 means it's a pretty big project. I'm wondering if it's gonna be more in tone to the first or second and what kind of ideas you have for maps, but im sure you'll give a few tidbits as you proceed. This is very good news!

Im not sure about the problem opening up the maps. Maybe try changing the MSDos name perhaps by checking the map file's properties. I had to do that to be able to play a few maps with strange MSDos names. That's the only solution I can offer..BTW, did the NON-installer version of BPF work for you??
I'll give that DOS trick a try. I did, however, get BPF working just fine. I know it's tiny, but I think your secret level was one of my favorites in the set. Other highlights were Far Below and CotC. I might give a better play by play in your thread once I've been through it again.

As for my mod, it bears much more similarity to Inherit than Hostile. I had a few "industrial" type maps that I wanted to get out of my system when I built Hostile, but those are probably my least favorite ones of the set so I'll not be doing those for this one. I'll start a thread for the mod when I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Things are moving fast, though :-)

It's taken a while since these are all built from scratch. For the other mods some levels were originally BB maps which were converted to single player:

ITE-e3m1
ITE-e3m2
HOS-e1m7
HOS-e1m8
HOS-e1m0

Or old levels that were stand-alone that were tweaked for the mod:

ITE-e1m2
ITE-e1m3
ITE-e2m1
ITE-e2m2
HOS-e1m6
All Hostile Takeover Secret maps.
Obviously ITE-e2m1 & ITE-e2m2 are just revisions of ITE-e1m3 & e1m2.

The remaining maps were built from scratch.

In Hostile and Inherit, the built-from-scratch levels, such as Inherit's Fortress of the Gate (ITE-e1m4) and Hostile's Marina Carnival (HOS-e1m4), having been built later (and thus after my skills improved), were noticeably superior (in my opinion, anyway). I wanted this whole mod to be top notch so no corner cutting this time - all original content.
morhlis wrote:Inherit The Earth and Hostile Takeover are both on the BloodLaucher McTecman posted on GoG and I can't wait to give them a try. They are obviously highly recommended. I'll be trying them out next, right after I get through with BPF.
Haha I really see all the flaws having started mapping again after so much time, but I had fun making them.

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » May 23rd, 2010, 23:55

Cool to know about the history of your projects. So was it easy to pick up Mapedit again after all the time of being away from it? What was it that triggered you to pick it up again? Either way, I'm stoked you're back in business.

Bloatoid
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bloatoid » May 25th, 2010, 20:26

Got back into it after I found out about DOSBox last year. My first map after my break took forever since I forgot most of the commands, but it's been smooth sailing after that. They guy who playtests my levels and I did some bloodbath matches last year over hamachi before I got back into singleplayer.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 25th, 2010, 23:58

About my mod, it's been cooking for some time but very, very slowly since I have a lot of stuff going on all the time. But it's a nod more towards the Cryptic Passage style than original Blood experiences.