Bloody Pulp Fiction Addon Released!!

Discussion about editing and mapping for Blood.
morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Re: Bloody Pulp Fiction Addon Released!!

Post by morhlis » May 28th, 2010, 17:00

Just finished BPF - Possibly the best user mod I've played. It told a coherent story, had great level design, and pulled a few tricks I didn't even know were possible in the game. It was awesome throughout and I just have to hand it to the creators. I wish I was independently wealthy so I could fund more projects like these. Thanks for the experience and I hope you'll do something new in the future!
Last edited by morhlis on Jun 5th, 2010, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Jun 5th, 2010, 19:11

We made that addon without spending one penny on it. All free. Didn't receive a penny for making it either. Did it out of love..

BloodyCologne
New user

Post by BloodyCologne » Jun 10th, 2010, 15:07

Hey guys,

I have a question ;D ! FInally I got BPF running perfectly. The non installer version solved my problems. I just love this addon. Especially the first episode and the first maps of the second.

So thumps up for this great addon !!!

There is only one little problem which I couldn't handle yet.

I don't get any midi music !!! Okay the Mall map plays this mall music (which fits in perfectly !) but all other maps don't play midi music. I'm running it via VLP-startup.

Honestly this isn't a real big problem due to I'm running the pimped midi files via winamp. But which makes me wondering is the following fact. SOmetimes I like to play Blood lying in my bed. So I also made this vlp-startup on my netbook. It also runs everything blood related perfectly... So I just copied the folder with BPF on my externel harddrive, switcht to my netbook and put this folder on my netbooks harddrive....

then I started BPF and BAAAAAAAAAAM it played the all midi files while playing ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! How can this be ?! I didn't change anything... just copied the folder to my netbook and there it plays the midi files... but on my PC it doesnt `?!?!

Do you have any clou why this happens or how I can solve it fpr BPF on my PC ? ?

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jun 24th, 2010, 17:49

Got an urge to play BPF again...
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Jun 25th, 2010, 22:34

I just might do it again as well. Honestly it is on par or maybe even a little better than the orig game, which often happens with superb user map collections. This mod just has so much going for it.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jun 26th, 2010, 00:18

These maps are excellent but can't replace the original Blood. The reason being is that they are still different from the original episodes in some regards and don't capture what made the original Blood awesome. Not a complaint, BPF is BPF and Blood is Blood. This is one of my favorite addons too.
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jul 27th, 2010, 06:11

wangho wrote:Trying to duplicate the artwork would probably be akin to the animators of Family Guy trying to make a Chuck Jones Looney Tunes cartoon.
I know what your saying but I think the only person who could try their best to duplicate Kevin Kilstrom's art style would be be Final Caleb if you wanted to do new enemies from scratch. Either that it's best to do sprite editing have them as new enemies...

Or no offense but I take it your a purest perhaps? Thing is though, a mod with new enemies (even weapons/items/etc) added in would create a sense of wonder that you don't know what to expect rather the same cast which quickly becomes predictable especially in a addon where new content are defiantly appropriate.

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:08

No, I dont like the idea of adding new enemies and weapons. Especially not in plain vanilla Blood. I'm sure I can create maps with surprising and fun gameplay without all those crutches. I'd rather concentrate on great level design and memorable locations and gameplay. I dont have enthusiasm for adding that stuff, I kinda got it out of my system with BPF. So I'm saying 'no' to adding new enemies or weapons.

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Aug 7th, 2010, 14:20

I can only hang my head in shame that I missed so many nice posts about BPF, If i could have i would have been here to respond properly.

I'll do my best to answer what i've spotted, first of all holaareola thanks you for your kind words and review :D
Thats exactly the sort of comprehensive write up i've been waiting for, as Wangho said it's all VERY helpful for next time.
As for The Fort you most likely have already found it by now but (spoiler) you need to go into the building accross from the starting room and search the map table for a button, that will open the cellar outside and after a fight with a werewolf you have to blow through a wall to enter the torture chamber, thus gaining the Skull key.

And the fire key comes from a cultist in the same map room, the dagger from the Gargoyle torturer, the spider from the Magazine and the moon from the store (which is locked with the spider key)
There's also a tagged secret in The Fort that hints at the yet to be done story of RedFanatic the ex Beast acolyte described on the BPF homepage.

BloodyCologne again sorry for lateness, Can't really think of anything to help either so not much good all round lol.
for me the midi's work fine if you just follow the No installer instructions and use Dosbox, why it should work on one of our systems and not the other i don't know, but it hints towards an issue with the system not the game or the install method.

This is really self centred but i have to admit it's really great to heard comments like 'better than the original'
BPF is awesome no doubt (especially ep1) but it is of course never going to be better than Vanilla Blood since thats perfect :D

But i did really hope that as small as it might seem on a world scale BPF would be a sort of legacy and to hear people not only enjoying it but RE-playing it too makes me feel all warm an fuzzy :love:

Now a few points about the levels that got reviewed, I'm amazed to hear such praise for Noctem as it was certainly the weakest level in my opinion, and it's massive scale always dragged my system so i worried it would just annoy players. It is of course named for it's original (almost) designer Noctem who made the VERY basic structure of it for me when he was going to be a contributor, but stuff came up and he had to pull out so i spent ages staring at the bones of his level waiting for inspiration.
And although parts of it came of well in general i always felt it never had a strong personality.

In fact the whole of Ep3 was a bit hit and miss and i was a bit unsure right up until the end how it was going to play.

(spoiler)
Monolith is certainly linear but the nature of Deadland gave me some leeway with regard to how 'real' or unreal it could feel, I had hoped to be able to do more levels to fill in the trip around Deadland but time was a pressing and i had started at least two levels behind Wangho and didn't want to hold him up, plus Editing time is a tricky thing to find......almost forgot the spoiler make sure you search the Monolith site for it's themed secret.

Anyhow as Wangho said thanks to everyone who played, plays and reviews your the folks we made it for.
Oh and Wangho either PM or e-mail me when your Arctic addons ready I love snowy levs and if it's done by you'll it'll world class.
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]

BloodyCologne
New user

Post by BloodyCologne » Aug 9th, 2010, 10:10

@ RedFanatic

Man, I finally solved the problem, damn man it was just this f*cking "-nocd" command missing in the .vlp file.

On my netbook where it worked from the start I used a copy of the blood.vlp on my netbook, there this command line was included. On my PC where it didnt worked in the first place I tried some things with this command lines and so I never had this -nocd in it. But now it works with midi music and everything is fine... I just can enjoy this waesome mod... I hope you guys make another one... is there anything in progress or at least on a imaginary to do list for the future ? When I got it right wangho is working on a hand full of maps episode in the arctic *;D ?! I hope he will make these maps in the style of the first 5 maps of episode 2 - even death may die. because these are my favorites... (lumber mill - dunno why but I love this one.. sadly its so short - rest for the wicked, overlooked hotel an the haunting -these last two are the best ever made.. this atmosphere is just incredible).

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Aug 10th, 2010, 03:29

yes, my arctic stuff will be alot like the first five maps of ep. 2. The first map im working on is a combination of E2M1, CPM1, and Boggy Creek. A dockside port that's enclosed in ice! Icebergs and all that stuff.

The second map will be sort of an icy Bowels of the Earth type deal. Lots of ice flow.. *EDIT* I think I have a name already for it... Vostok and 2 Smoking Barrels..

RedFanatic! It is good to see you again.. BPF was a hell of alot of fun to work on with you. We created a monster! But I'll be sure and PM you and give you the first playthrough of these new fresh out of the oven levels. It's pretty good stuff I think

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Aug 10th, 2010, 03:47

Well I was wondering if you and Red Fanatic can work on a project again...maybe Bloody Pulp Fiction 2?

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Aug 10th, 2010, 04:01

It's a huge undertaking there, BON. Maing something on that scale with consideration of the free time I have, it'd take about 10 years. I'd work with Red again, but I feel BPF2 is too much to chew on.

BloodyCologne
New user

Post by BloodyCologne » Aug 10th, 2010, 08:48

@wangho

okay man, that sounds really nice, I'm looking forward to its release... can you say when you plan to release it ? How many maps will it have ? 4 or 5 right ?

Damn man I need some new blood stuff... due to all these new mods I played during the last months I need some new fresh stuff. I'm also looking forward to this french Meat mod... I hope these guys can offer us some good bloody atmosphere mod !

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Aug 11th, 2010, 18:15

Hey Wangho :D Yeah it was awesome working on BPF i'd certainly do it again someday, but as you say we really went at it on BPF and it still took what 2 maybe even 3 years!

Of course if we don't do another Addon we're gonna have BoN stalking us forever lol so perhaps when we're both free we can join up again.

Right now though i wish i had time for even a solo map let alone a whole addon, but as for plans well BoN was getting me all fired up about a World Of Darkness style addon so i have a few plans along those lines.

So Wangho is there going to be a story linking these snow levels? and if so is it Caleb or someone else?
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]