What are you currently reading?

General discussion that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Daedolon » Oct 15th, 2010, 21:58

:shock:

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Oct 15th, 2010, 23:13

Daedolon wrote: :shock:
Tell me about it! I must have been on crack or something...

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Oct 16th, 2010, 13:28

Perhaps you were being ironical.

"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Oct 16th, 2010, 13:58

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Oct 16th, 2010, 17:55

NAto wrote:I was forced to read them at university; knowing you have to write a test on something is good incentive to read it :D
NAto wrote:Marxist theory (I <3 Marx)
Geez did I actually say that? :roll: Someone should delete that post...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bubbing it in your face lololo
LOL HI!

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Oct 17th, 2010, 03:24

Yea yea it's like one of those things that will get told as a joke at my 30th birthday party :lol:

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Oct 18th, 2010, 18:52

Working on I, Robot by Asimov.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Oct 25th, 2010, 22:50

This!

One of the best and most definitive horror collections ever compiled.

Then its on to
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Oct 26th, 2010, 00:30

Finishing up I, Robot by Asimov.

The next three books will be: All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy, On Guerrilla Warfare by Mao Zedong, and Lamb - the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Oct 26th, 2010, 07:56

PriestOfTheBeast wrote:Finishing up I, Robot by Asimov.

The next three books will be: All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy, On Guerrilla Warfare by Mao Zedong, and Lamb - the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore.
I would read all of these.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Oct 26th, 2010, 17:24

At what point did you manifest a desire to delve into horror fiction, Morhlis? :)

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Oct 26th, 2010, 19:08

If you like horror fiction, there are some titles I enjoyed.

No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. It was made into an equally excellent film by the Coen Brothers. The writing style is very spare and taut - and it's a great example of a timeless modern-era thriller. If you're at all familiar with the film, I don't need to tell you about the book. A grand examination of survival, loyalty, betrayal, and the struggle of being one lone man tilting at a fate predestined by a faceless adversary.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Wonderfully evocative writing - really the sort of book that you can open at any page and start reading and just savor the style. The plot is simple: the author tells you straight away the details of the murder, and who did it. Then she spends the rest of the novel telling you exactly why. A great investigation of the ties between friends, and how they unravel into rivalries and petty disputes.

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. A firsthand study of insanity, sadism, and animal cruelty, all told from the viewpoint of a postadolescent narrator. At times bleakly humorous, at other times shocking, this book charts the declining fortunes of an isolated family living on an island off the coast of Scotland. Reduced now just to one aging father and his child (the narrator), the book deals with themes of ritualism, animal sacrifices, superstition, and the inevitability of the crows coming home to roost.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Oct 26th, 2010, 19:33

PriestOfTheBeast wrote:If you like horror fiction, there are some titles I enjoyed.

No Country For Old Men
I think it was mentioned in the documentary of the DVD, but I liked the practical portration of doing things in the movie. It was very realistic (in way), how resources were gathered together in order to survive / assassinate etc.. I like that a lot.
LOL HI!

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Oct 26th, 2010, 19:41

Amen to that. I liked how the people involved were realistically portrayed. Chigurh is ruthless and brutally efficient... but he bleeds just like any other person. He gets shot in the leg halfway through the movie, and he doesn't just "walk it off" and get better. He has to spend time and resources to get supplies so he can heal up properly.

So much of the movie's tension comes from the silence, too. The heart-stopping fight scene at the hotel is one of the best-directed combat scenes I've ever seen... and it's just between two men holding shotguns, searching each other out in the middle of the night.

Excellent movie.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Oct 27th, 2010, 00:58

Krypto wrote:At what point did you manifest a desire to delve into horror fiction, Morhlis? :)
A very long time ago, when I was but a child. I've always found myself drawn to monsters and the dark. Probably because I was so very much afraid of them when I was younger. This seems to be the case 9 times out of 10. I saw the blood covered fangs, fissures revealing a furtive maddening glance at hells sulfurous banks, and demons wearing the skin of madmen...and as much as I flinched, I couldn't look away. I'm enamored with the villains, with the beasts, with evil. And again, this is because it is so much not who I am in my everyday life. Reading about the arcane, the gruesome, and the insane gives me a window to a world my soul craves but which I can never hope to truly visit, lest I go mad. This is why I enjoy horror.