Blood as a legal, mainstream IP saga and not just two old FPS

General discussion that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Martin Vitriol
New user

Blood as a legal, mainstream IP saga and not just two old FPS

Post by Martin Vitriol » Apr 1st, 2016, 22:41

Hi,

this ain’t an april’s fool prank,

I’m an old fan of Blood… but for you to really know how I love this saga, you should know that I was a horror-head since childhood, the kind that is singled out by the rest of the class since elementary school…

I don’t know how to prove to you with an argument how deeply crazy I am about horror since childhood. Maybe giving you a biography of horror fan of myself will convince you that I’m deeply serious about horror:

In primary school since first grade I was always actively interested in the horror flavors, and since it was the eighties, there was still a strong book culture, and I remember that although I had a c64 since I was eleven, horror books like Usborne Publishing’s book on ghosts, were a the pinnacle of esthetic pleasure for me. The kind of things that totally over-excited me.

From my primary school I think the thing most related to horror that obsessed me were dark rides, specially walk-in ones, and I spent my leisure waiting to go the theme-park and time building horror peep show’s inside shoe boxes, that were conveniently spied by the lateral windows and front door.

I took this idea from an Usborne book on how to do toys with paper, but then I started adding all sort of crazy things to the shoebox peep shows, like battery powered colored lights and other effects.

The climax of a childhood dedicated to horror was when I was ten or eleven years old, and had my first paranormal experience: I saw a body-less arm floating in the air cleaning the front of a Satanist’s house.

What makes me crazy to this day is that when I saw that, was that the arm had a hand at its extreme, and the hand a feathers duster. It was dusting the blinds of the Mad Mason’s house (how my father called that guy), the neighborhood’s Satanist.

Note: Through the years I’ve studied some occultism, but most important, had more ghostly and demonic experiences, and something not that easy to find in book about spirits, is first hand experience explaining how ghosts are deeply irrational. And that dusting of the blinds by the discarnate flying arm was really irrational, I don’t know how to explain it, but to me that cleaning flying demon had a bug, because it was dusting mechanically in the same place like for thirty seconds… and ghosts are like that, I’ve seen some, and they are awkward and mechanic…

I made a bad choice in early adolescence: I wanted to excel some day in the arts. I didn’t know in which arts yet, but my horror obsession was decidedly mitigated after knowing the world of girls.

But during my teen years, a slight nexus with horror I kept, because since I was around eleven I had the fortune of growing up with my equals, we happened to have a genuine slant towards sk8/hc/punk culture, which are three horror-influenced youth tribes (well, maybe hardcore not so much), from the trivial predominance of horror motives in sk8 esthetics, to something world class like the sub-branches of punk: death-rock and horror-punk, and everything in between.

The problem with becoming a horror-fan in the 1990ies for me was that in some way it conflicted with my punk ideology… because to be a really horror head in the 1990ies in south America you needed a well paid job that I couldn’t possible achieve for being at war with school… and you needed a passive life of consumption, when what I wanted was to be in a club drinking and talking to girls… or otherwise at home designing and copywriting for the scene.

I stopped being a teenager in 1997, I guess persons around my age are the last ones who can say they were bored and unable to find a niche as teens. There wasn’t broadband, p2p nor a populated internet… no way to have a scholarship in horror, not at least without major investments of time and money…

At least I had a niche in my mid and late teens (and beyond), and that was the scene. Another culture strongly influenced by horror esthetics.

I didn’t work and I didn’t have money for either buying myself the monthly Fangoria and Gorezone, or giving a part of my wages in my house for cable to be installed, nor even had the will of doing what I could with a video club membership, because my stepfather used to monopolize the TV and VCR, and I was playing Doom and Quake in my room.

Of course that horror liberation came for me in my late teens, when I read my first HP Lovecraft, an anthology, at 18 years old…

In my early twenties I converted from Christian to Hindu, and while I’m not religious, and touching the subject of religion may sound bored and decadent for some, it really was a game changer for me as horror fan, because Hinduism from its stories, passing by its philosophy of life, to its esthetics, has many aspects that are horror-flavored…

In my twenties I had the larger quantities of paranormal experiences, maybe not so scary like the few in adolescence but not less mind-boggling.

I had my fair share of horror video games, but nothing comparable to my knowledge of movies… I think horror computer and console games pretty much suck, and I think never again I’ll be able to feel like the first two years of Blood playing made me feel…

In my early thirties I became a Lovecraft researcher and have watched all the horror movies I wanted to watch to have an encyclopedic knowledge of horror film. I began a project that I dragged through the years about HP Lovecraft, and I don’t know what to do with all the data about it I’m going to reap from that work…

Well not to bore you anymore with myself, I want to tell you I’m pleased to know there are people like me that is so horror crazed and specially blood crazed as to create a community…

I know that you don’t know me, and I don’t have much time to become a fixture of this community… I’ll try to know you reading your threads when the stars are right, but the main motive of this message was for you to know me, and to know what I want…

And here it comes: I’ve been working developing the Blood universe (yes, infringing copyright) for a commercial project, for around 1 and a half years… then two years ago I canned the project after querying Jason Hall in Facebook, who told me that the rights to the Blood intellectual propery are muddy waters…

My project is writing the screenplay for Blood’s movie. The movie is about what happened to Caleb before the game. I have already written the first draft of a treatment for the screenplay, but canned the project when J Hall told me that Blood IP is in a mess between Warner and Atari…

On top of that, I have background stuff written, and ideas for a MMORPG for Oculus Rift, with a real cash economy, a MMORPG that could take a large chunk of the market share of EVE and Entropia Universe, how I see it…

What do you think I should do? The course of action I was thinking is partnering with a Lawyer, and see what a Warner IP lawyer says to us…

I just want to know if some of you would like to be my partner in writing a Blood screenplay. I’m not saying that we do this if it’s sure it will be bought, I’m just saying I could write a spec screenplay based on the treatment I already wrote, but I won’t. And here is why:

A screenplay about blood, using as background the already established, back-story everyone knows, would write itself… so, balancing this fact, with the fact that it would be very hard to sell it, if the legal mess is really un-fixable, at least we’ll have a totally over-the-top screenplay to add to our portfolio.

I haven’t had the opportunity to write with anyone yet, and writing a thing like the story of Caleb before the game… I don’t know, I think between two or even three could be way more fun and the end product could be totally superior to a screenplay written by a single person…

Does anyone of you write screenplays? Would you like to partner with me just for the hell of it, at first, and while we are writing it, we can work out how to solve the IP mess Blood is in?

I was thinking the last two years in making a crowd-funding campaign first to buy the rights, or otherwise straighten the IP mess, and then to even finance the movie and the MMORPG… but I know, going to the extreme of a MMORPG is too much wishful thinking…

But like I said, I didn’t just rip-off all the original’s ideas, to write the treatment. I recreated the blood story from thousands of years ago up to the present, with especial emphasis in the 1860s when the story of the treatment takes place. I developed heavily on the Cabal, their enterprises and their motives and I also worked in the societies under the Cabal’s control.

I tried to answer most unanswered questions from the games. For instance, what does the Cabal do with their accumulation of corpses in cans, and how.

I even found a believable explanation for the horror props from other horror properties scattered all through the levels of B1…

I have a cyberpunk universe that I created and fro which I wrote a tetralogy of screenplays, these screenplays I never cared to show to anyone to even read, let alone try to sell.

But when I wrote them I was really inspired and I think, come the case of creating sequels for Blood or a modern game (read multiplayer), they could supply most of the meat for the world and more, like the social commentaries, since it was a tetralogy of nano-punk genre and Blood is, as you know, horror tesla-punk.

Do I want to make Blood mine? No, just to have a part in writing the script for the movie of Caleb’s life. But I don’t know, if I were to find the correct people, I’d love to explore the idea of licensing it for a MMORPG, and doing something like Entropia Universe, with real cash economy and a fifty-year plan.

There aren’t horror MMORPGS, and that’s a shame, since it’s more than a decade since they became a massive phenomena.

Would any sincere fan of blood like to co-write the first draft of the screenplay with me? I have a treatment, which I’m willing to share, and to butcher down to incorporate your ideas, or what you think should go; to write it just for the hell of it, without expecting much? Please write to me…

Any sincere fan of Blood who, who happens to be a lawyer, would like to partner with me in getting to the bottom of the legal mess in which Blood is in, for the ulterior motive of selling the speculative screenplay? Please write to me…

Best regards.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Re: Blood as a legal, mainstream IP saga and not just two old FPS

Post by Status Cruo » Apr 2nd, 2016, 05:49

Martin Vitriol wrote:
>The climax of a childhood dedicated to horror was when I was ten or eleven years old, and had my first paranormal >experience: I saw a body-less arm floating in the air cleaning the front of a Satanist’s house.

MENE MENE :lol:

>In my early twenties I converted from Christian to Hindu

"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us." (1 John 2:19)

In order to be a Christian, you must be born again, that is, you must be saved, and here's a short list of things that can NOT save you:

. Whatever mom had you pray when you were 5.
. Inheriting you parents' religious traditions.
. Being good to others.
. Believing that God exists.
. Going to church.
. Getting baptized.
. Marrying a Christian.
. Being the Pastor's son.
. Keeping the 10 commandments.
. Wearing a wifebeater with "Jesus is my homeboy" stamped on it.
. Being "spiritual".
. Owning a Bible.
. An emotional experience during a service.
. 12-stepping.
. Tithing.
. Having crucifix hanging somewhere.
. Waking up one day "feeling Christian"
. Buying a gallon of potato soup from Jim Bakker.
. Being born an ethnic Jew.
. Philosophy.

What then, can save your soul? The Lord Jesus Christ and Him alone:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:9-10)

"For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures" (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

"Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:21)

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away." (Isaiah 64:6)

Just put aside all pride, come humbly to the Lord Jesus Christ as the helpless, vile, death and hell deserving sinner that you are, believing that He died a horrible death on the cross at Calvary, shedding his previous blood to pay for your wicked sins, and that he was buried and rose again conquering sin and death (thus acknowledging the fact that you neither deserve, nor could possibly merit salvation), get down on your knees, cry out for mercy and be reconciled unto your Creator.

Once you're saved, upon receiving the Holy Ghost (being born again), you can still (because our flesh is not yet redeemed) backslide and make total shipwreck of your faith if you're not careful enough, but one thing you cannot do is to deny the Lord that bought you, that is, once a person has truly known the Lord Jesus Christ, our beloved risen Saviour: His love, His grace, His mercy, His compassion, His holiness and all of His wonderful character; that person will never deny Him as you've done, having gone a whoring after strange gods.

Have you really known the Lord Jesus Christ? have you?

Quit fooling yourself thinking you can live in the wretchedness of your sins and not suffer the consequences. Get right with God and desist in your reckless worship of devils (hinduism has more devils than hindus), lest you be found wanting in the day of judgment and your miserable carcass be thrown into hell fire never to come out again (no, you ain't coming back as a stinkbug or something), save to be cast into the lake of fire, which is the second death. You only get one shot at it and you get it while you're here walking on the face of this earth; there's no room for repentance and faith once you're already burning away like a torch.

I had my share of occultism back in my formative years and it only contributed to my ruin. Take it from this guy, the chiefest of sinners, the trash of this world.

>is first hand experience explaining how ghosts are deeply irrational

What you call ghosts are actually devils, and they're all about taking possession of a body, as we read in Matthew 8:28 and Luke 11:24.

The other thing they'll do is perform impersonations in order to trick people into believing they're but their dead relatives. The devils, being enemies of God, will not hesitate to show up claiming to be your long deceased grandma if that will keep you from accepting the fact that it's either heaven or hell once the breath of life's gone out of your nostrils, just as the Bible says it is (Luke 16:19)

Again, don't mess around with devils, don't entertain them, but rather rebuke them in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Kudos on the Dark Seed avatar.

Martin Vitriol
New user

Post by Martin Vitriol » Apr 3rd, 2016, 05:22

Hold your horses, I was baptized because my paternal grand-mother demanded it, I went from kindergarten to the last year of elementary to a parish's catholic school because, as a kid, I didn't have a choice and my mother sent me there because in my city state schooling is the same as illiteracy...

I took the first communion because it was mandatory in the 6th grade!

I never chose nor I would choose Christianity because it's a false religion. There is only one true, eternal religion and that's Sanatan Dharma, otherwise known as Hinduism, a religion passed down by God, devas (demi-gods) and exalted earth-human personalities in contact with the two aforementioned.

I had/have Hindu religious education, but I'm not religious. It's funny, you're preaching to me, and maybe you'll get angry at me after I told you Christianity is a false religion. That's how I see it, and I don't want to discuss with you because you're keep on preaching, or gonna hurl an argument against me, and then I'll hurl another at you, and that would go on ad infinitum...

Quoting scripture is the way of fighting for an argument, it is the same in Hinduism, but I won't do it... I don't need to impose my beliefs on nobody. Why do you preach? You don't need to save anyone, nobody can save anyone else at this point in time. Each one has fight himself to receive God's grace and be saved.

I like the subject of salvation, and let me tell you something, when I was religiously illiterate and when I didn't worship any god, nor study scripture, nor pray, nor offer my food... I practiced something that is conducive to liberation: hatha-yoga... three years after I started doing yoga, I had a mystical experience, and the experience itself was so strong, and the things that happened to me after it were so bizarre, that I started craving for knowledge of the soul... that's what took me (unfortunately) to the hare krishnas of my city were I gave my baby steps in Hinduism...

The HKs are a cult, and are a very dangerous and twisted one at that, I knew that from the beginning, and so I dumped them and took the chance of going to India where I became a Hindu, in an unrelated to the HKs sect of Hinduism...

So I'm not only saved by God's grace as per Hindu doctrine because of my mystical experience, but I'm also born again as per Hinduism, because we have a similar doctrine: only those twice born are allowed to study the vedas. To be born in a family of brahmins is considered to be second birth, and to be initiated (even if you aren't born in a brahmins lineage) is also considered a 2nd birth...

Why don't you ask before wasting time preaching? :lol:

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Apr 3rd, 2016, 13:44

Not this thread, too...

Martin Vitriol
New user

Post by Martin Vitriol » Apr 4th, 2016, 20:13

Well... he should have stopped when it was civil to do it, but he didn't so... I'm simply not replying.

It was bad enough to hijack my thread, so now I have to work to bring it up to standars :wink:

I want to add a thought I had, this is not the only community forums where the legal trouble in which Blood is in, I think that even before contacting J Hall, I had readmost of them, and still, it's not clear...

>> Monolith sells publishing rights to GTi > GTi was acquired by Infogrames which merged with Atari. Atari owns publishing rights.

>> Monolith owns Blood's trademark and intellectual property, and Warner Bros. bought Monolith...

So, if Warner Bros. would want to do anything with the Blood IP, they must wrestle the publishing rights from Atari first, and Atari is not willing to give them up. Seems to me that is not that difficult to revive the saga...

But what I was thinking, specially about Blood, the original, is that maybe Warner wants to forget all about the saga because it's risky. I'm not a copyright lawyer, but it's very tricky in the sense that Blood takes a lot from many Horror franchises...

Imagine if every company holding the rights of the Horror genre elements featured in Blood would sue either Atari/Warner/Monolith...

So that's What I think, that whoever in power of giving a new Blood product a green light, would rather kill the saga...

When I was writing the treatment, I wrote this:

BLOOD UNIVERSE FACT SHEET

oo Blood starts in Oregon, because Morningside Funerary Home is there.

ooo So far it draws from the following

Phantasm
Friday The 13th
The Shining
Cthlhu Mythos
The Crow
The Evil Dead
Wizard Of Oz
Frank Sinatra

In a lesser way: Elvira, Nightmare On Elm Street, and others.

ooo Songs Caleb Sings

???? - on the good ship lolipop

????- row row your boat

Frank Sinatra - Embraceable You

Ella Fitzgerald - Oh, Lady, Be Good!

??? - Someone To Watch Over Me

??? - Old Devil Moon Peggy Lee - I Enjoy Being A Girl The Sound Of

My Favorite Things

Johnny Mathis - Small World

Sammy Davis - What Kind of Fool Am I ??? - Let's Do It (Let's Fall In
Love)

Dean Martin - Everybody Loves Somebody Sometimes

??? - how much is that? dog in the window

Frank Sinatra - My Way

So you see, that's almost two-dozens of copyright infringement instances in a single game... I think the legal standstill Blood is in is the Game's karma, based in how it recklessly drew from other intellectual properties, two decades later, the saga is deprived of having a healthy legal status.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Apr 4th, 2016, 22:28

Martin Vitriol wrote:
> So you see, that's almost two-dozens of copyright infringement instances in a single
> game... I think the legal standstill Blood is in is the Game's karma, based in how it
> recklessly drew from other intellectual properties, two decades later, the saga is
> deprived of having a healthy legal status.

Not exactly right. Sure if they didn't explicitly ask permission to use any of those, then it's a purely moral issue (not that I think it is in this particular case, but it's a stretch for the sake of comparison).

As far as I can tell, all of these "transgressions" are covered by "fair use"-type of legislation, at least in the U.S where the game was developed anyways.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 5th, 2016, 13:31

Thanks for sharing your story. It's nice to hear you have such a rich horror background and can appreciate the finer aspects of horror that seem to be lost in recent years. Blood's community is so small that to find specialists of the sort you've described would be quite challenging to say the least! However, this does give me a chance to promote having children for the sake of making extra Bloodites and then having your son or daughter become a lawyer.

As I am not a lawyer, I can't help with this very specific request.

Finally, we're experienced with disembodied hands around here, but disembodied arms, now that's something!

P.S. Status Cruo - Martin requested that we delete your previous post. I honoured the request as it is his thread in which to do so and you did not address the intended topic even indirectly - twice! I saved your post before doing so in case there is anything from it you'd like to review.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Apr 5th, 2016, 23:54

It addressed what I thought expedient to address (the offtopic, non-legal, non-Blood section in the opening post of the thread) and has apparently accomplished what it was intended to accomplish, however, because the missing response leaves many loose ends in a subject I find to be of utmost importance, I'd kindly request that my first response be removed as well, if it were possible.

Thanks for saving the post and sorry for the inconveniences.

Martin Vitriol
New user

Post by Martin Vitriol » May 14th, 2016, 19:45

I'm working on trying to find potential bloodites through other channels (like the art scene, demo scene and FB)... to form a team, to sort out Blood's legal mess, buy the licenses and revive the saga...

For the record, I'll keep everyone updated in this thread.

As of now, I just almost ended the last horror screenplay of a set I wanted to write; next, I'm gonna immerse myself in the work of selling them. At the same time I'm going to work in the blood revival team's formation...

I would love to build a list of people interested, targets of this request are all those with skills that think they would qualify for a triple AAA computer game... for now it will be just that, a list, but hopefully it will fructify in something big...

best regards.

PS: if you want to be added to the list, just post to this thread and say which skills you have: coding/design/art/sound/music/backstory/etc... a little background on yourself and your Blood passion would be nice, too.

Okay, I'm off to play to Blood: Death Wish... have a nice day all! :D

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 31st, 2016, 09:17

What is with this fucking Jesus shit?
LOL HI!

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jun 1st, 2016, 19:03

Umnir wrote:
> What is with this fucking Jesus shit?

It's because he sees the Postmortem as his personal toilet bin and the bible is own asshole that he likes to take his diarrhea load on us in a biblical scale.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jun 1st, 2016, 20:52

Let's rather not turn this thread into something it's not about. Martin asked nicely.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jun 2nd, 2016, 01:28

Daedalus wrote:
> Let's rather not turn this thread into something it's not about. Martin
> asked nicely.

By allowing this Bible Thumping Racist to run free...how nice.

You'll be then wondering why people don't want to come here anymore...gee I wonder why, must be all that elitism and exclusion going on and people like that giving others a bad rep on what Bloodites are which you're simply allowing it to happen makes you just as responsible.

steelsong
New user

Post by steelsong » Jun 4th, 2016, 00:12

I like the sound of this idea. I absolutely hate this whole copyright mess that Blood has been pulled into by Atari and Warner Bros. If you can write a screenplay that can expand the Blood universe and perhaps, save Blood and correct the copyright issues in a way that will leave all involved parties pleased, then I salute you.
Not dead... yet.