What have you recently purchased?

General discussion that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Re: What have you recently purchased?

Post by Daedalus » Jan 24th, 2013, 09:27

Umnir wrote:- How to be black
Are you serial?
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jan 24th, 2013, 09:34

Super serial. No really, I was having few beers and I ordered one to the shelf for the lulz.
LOL HI!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jan 24th, 2013, 12:49

Pity. I could've helped out and saved you that bit of cash. I'm an expert.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jan 24th, 2013, 14:06

It was mere 10e, so not that much lost.
LOL HI!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Feb 14th, 2013, 14:10

Let me explain where we are here.

Say company X makes modern folding knife, whatever that might be, and gives it model number or model name. Every knife borrows something from knives in history, but in essence, it is new design and so unseen. Kind of like making car and giving it model name. These are modern knives.

Then there are traditional knives. Certainly, one can make knife that is new in design but has heavy influence from traditional knives such as handle materials and how everything looks and is fitted. But in general, rather than having model names, traditional knives have what is called pattern. Pattern defines various things such as handle shape, blade shapes and uses, amount of specific blades and even overall knife size. If we take example of one pattern like trapper. Trapper are medium sized knives with specific handle shape and have two blades: clip point blade and spey blade.
Spoiler: show
So if two companies X and Y want to make traditional trapper, it is simply called X Trapper or Y Trapper. Sometimes these patterns may have additional definitions like tiny trapper (X tiny trapper).

Some of these patterns can go over hundred years back, forming rich history of cutlery history. Patterns could have been designed for craftsmen, hard workers, gentlemen or even knives designed for boys to be given by their fathers. All these patterns had thought of where it could be used.

Hence I present my latest acquirement:

Case Sway Back Jack.

Beautiful small gentleman's knife. Super comfortable in the pocket, fits (closed) in your fist so that the ends just peek out when you close it in your hand. It's bit funky in shape, but it supports draw cutting very well (cutting towards you). Excellent for slicing, rope cutting, box cutting, whittling and general tasks. Blades in sway back jack are wharncliffe (big) and regular spearpoint (small), or commonly known as pen knife. Blades are carbon steel and will eventually form lovely patina. In fact, I have since taking that picture forced patina to the blades as it aesthetically pleases me. Handle materials are dyed chestnut bone and nickel silver bolsters (pinched).

I hope you enjoyed.
LOL HI!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Feb 14th, 2013, 14:22

A fair and elegant piece indeed!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Feb 14th, 2013, 14:50

System Shock 2 on GOG, and I'm not even going to play it (just beat it, again, in coop in December).

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Feb 14th, 2013, 15:11

Do you have a physical copy?

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Feb 14th, 2013, 16:32

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Feb 14th, 2013, 16:36

A thing of beauty.

Beauty!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Feb 14th, 2013, 17:08

I has copy too! One of my most priced possessions! <3
LOL HI!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Apr 6th, 2013, 12:48

Now I have peace, and can pause the hobby for while. :)
LOL HI!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Apr 23rd, 2013, 20:45

I didn't realize they were selling this here.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Apr 24th, 2013, 00:31

Fun fact: that is a German beer, originally.

The port of Qingdao in China was under German colonial administration for a number of years in the final dynasty.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 14th, 2013, 18:01

LOL HI!