POTB talks about guns in this thread

General discussion that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Re: POTB talks about guns in this thread

Post by Daedalus » Apr 27th, 2013, 18:02

How do you then apprehend replicants?
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Apr 28th, 2013, 03:12

I'm not authorized to do so with firearms. I am permitted some leeway in situations of imminent danger to a fellow officer, but I am not generally permitted to function as an officer of the law. I believe the thinking behind this is that it would contradict my function as an informant and intelligence gathering agent, and jeopardize the city's funding appropriations under its executive legal purview. If I fulfill a strictly intel mission structure, then their funding for me is strictly personnel - but if I then perform police functions, then their funding crosses the line into executive appropriations and needs to be vetted by a different adjudicating body.

I am not clear on the bureaucracy behind it but that is my understanding.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Apr 28th, 2013, 19:33

Although I do not currently possess firearms as the legal owner, other posters have expressed interest in photographs. Here I post model-representative photographs of the firearms I have trained with, along with commentary of my experience using them.

SA80: A UK-manufactured successor for the FN-FAL, this is a bullpup assault rifle chambered in the NATO 5.56mm STANAG round. Capable of semi-automatic fire and three-round burst. The ejection port is to the right of the firearm, making southpaw (left-handed) aimed operation impossible. The felt recoil was very light - almost nonexistent when firing from prone with sandbag brace. The model was easy to field-strip, maintain, and clean, although it allegedly suffered from much higher jamming rates than other NATO firearms when used in hot, dusty, or damp climates. I never fired it enough to experience higher than usual jamming. The cocking handle is on the right side of the firearm, making it easier to operate without disturbing the shooter's aim, unlike the M16/M4 models of rifles (where the cocking handle pulls straight back from the aiming sights, forcing you to move your head out of the way).
Attachments
sa80 reduced.jpg
sa80 reduced.jpg (33.94 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Apr 28th, 2013, 19:44

Heckler & Koch P30: A German-manufactured polymer pistol, intended for use with law enforcement. Fully ambidextrous* 9mm semiautomatic pistol, with moulded grip allowing for easy two-handed placement. Magazine release handle is accessible just under the trigger guard on both sides, as is the slide release handle. As with most pistols generally, felt recoil has a significantly greater effect on the aim than with rifles, but the firearm is lightweight and the compact barrel makes for easy maneuvering. Actually aiming it is significantly harder than a long arm, in my opinion, as hand-held weapons are less accurate in my hands than shoulder-braced weapons. Typical 9mm Parabellum magazine holds 15 rounds, counting apertures at the rear allow the operator to see how many rounds remain in each detached magazine. As with any semi-automatic slide-operated pistol, the shooter must be careful with hand placement or the pistol's slide can "bite" their hands as it recoils and springs forward after each shot. Casing ejection is typically to the right, but the pistol is held far forward enough that it usually doesn't matter.

The most common model of this pistol has a trigger safety mechanism, meaning that the trigger is designed not to engage in the event of a short, sharp pull (as with an accidental contact). Instead, the shooter must pull the trigger with a consistent, smooth action to override the trigger safety and fire the weapon.

* The pistol's maintenance screw is not ambidextrously located, but that has no effect on firing operations.
Attachments
hk p30 reduced.jpg
hk p30 reduced.jpg (40.57 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Apr 28th, 2013, 20:12

Remington 870: A US-made pump-action shotgun. Reliable, versatile, easy to maintain, and durable. The shooter can usually load four rounds into the tube magazine (below the barrel, operated by the slide), and slot one more round into the chamber. An easily-installed tube extender can allow for up to seven rounds in the tube magazine. The safety catch is located behind the trigger. To the front of the trigger, on the left side of the trigger guard, is the chamber release lever, which when depressed allows the chamber cover to open freely as the slide is pulled backwards. This allows the shooter to quickly empty the chamber of shells without firing the gun, or to clear jams or change ammunition. At the front of the magazine tube is a large screw-on cap, which when removed allows disassembly and cleaning. The shotgun is mostly ambidextrous - the shape of the stock allows aiming with either eye (ensuring a firm cheek weld) and the slide action is equally accessible for either hand. The only slight asymmetrical element is the chamber release lever, which is much easier to operate with your right hand near the trigger than with your left hand. Again, although the ejection port is to the right of the firearm, it's placed so far in front that it does not hamper southpaw firing. The kickback is enough to require re-aiming after each shot, but hugging the stock close to the chest muscle and leaning into the gun as you fire helps to counteract much of the backwards momentum.
Remington 870.jpg
Remington 870.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Culturally, there is a rivalry between the Remington 870 and the Winchester 1300 shotguns, which are both reliable pump-action shotguns popular for civilian home defense. I have tried both and I am unable to tell much of a difference in operations.

A pared-down version of this shotgun is also available (subject to strict licensing regulations) as the Serbu Super Shorty, a three-round shortened shotgun which functions much as a very high-powered pistol. Its main use in law enforcement is for door breaching, as shotgun breacher rounds are very useful in quick-entry operations, but the additional weight of a full sized shotgun may be too impractical for a SWAT or police team. It is perfectly possible to fire standard lethal rounds with this variant, but the kickback is extremely fierce and aimed firing is awkward with the lack of a stock.
Serbu super shorty.jpg
Serbu super shorty.jpg (17.51 KiB) Viewed 1299 times

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Apr 28th, 2013, 20:26

Izhmash Saiga 12: A Russian-made semiautomatic shotgun, patterned loosely after the Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle (and produced by the same Izhevsk Machinebuilding Plant company), chambered for 12-gauge ammunition and fed from a box magazine (higher-capacity drum magazines possible). This model is one of the most successful box-fed shotgun designs, which have usually been plagued by jams and misfires (commonplace with large ammunition such as 12-gauge shells). The dust cover also doubles as the selector switch, setting the shotgun to autoload full-power rounds (such as buckshot or slugs), or to autoload low-power rounds (beanbag or door breaching), or safe. This selector design helps to reduce the problems inherent in different power levels of shotgun ammunition, where less-lethal shots usually are insufficient to cycle the action.

The kickback with 12-gauge buckshot is significant, even with tight cheek weld and stock secure against chest. The magazine is loaded in similar fashion to traditional AK assault rifles, meaning the user fits the fore-end of the magazine to the well and "rocks" the aft end upwards until it locks into place. The bolt is ahead of the trigger on the right side. The Saiga 12 is also unusual in that its autoloading function is gas-operated, when most semiautomatic shotguns are momentum-operated. The upshot of this is that even an inexperienced shooter who fails to adequately brace the shotgun against its kickback will not endanger the autoloading function, unlike with momentum-operated semiauto shotguns.
Attachments
Saiga 12.gif
Saiga 12.gif (10.94 KiB) Viewed 1298 times

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Apr 28th, 2013, 20:41

Mushroom Kingdom - Toadoo Doll: A mystical weapon, fitting snugly into the left hand while the operator's right hand hovers over the doll with index finger outstretched - it can only be deployed when the operator has a victim in their sight. The doll contains a potent mushroom enchantment which will inflict the heaviest emotional suffering known to the Mushroom Kingdom. The operator may choose one of two firing options to discharge the Toadoo Doll's dark magicks.

1. Poke the doll in the tummy with your finger. This causes the victim to feel hungry.

2. Wave the right hand across the doll's eyes while whispering "sh-sh-sh-sh-shhhhhhh". This causes the victim to feel sleepy and may cause the victim to lose consciousness and curl up for a nap, thus neutralizing their threat.
Attachments
Toad-oo Doll.jpg
Toad-oo Doll.jpg (26.36 KiB) Viewed 1298 times

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Aug 2nd, 2013, 02:27

And now for two firearms which I have not had the pleasure of firing. Yet.

Deckard's pistol

According to www.imfdb.org, this is not a real pistol, but was instead created by cobbling together the aesthetically appealing elements of existing service rifles and pistols.

Leon's pistol

From the same source, this is allegedly a real quadruple-barrelled Derringer pistol, firing a .357 Magnum round.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Aug 2nd, 2013, 08:43

How about RoboCop's pistol? IIRC that one was built from that 90's Lethal Weapon Beretta am I correct? Man that pistol was hot in 90's action flicks and looked good.
LOL HI!