Inspiring Women Thread

General discussion that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Inspiring Women Thread

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Sep 16th, 2011, 03:15

A parallel from Umnir's thread what women inspires you?

Ada Lovelace: If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be typing this right now (meaning she's the first computer programmer).

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Re: Inspiring Women Thread

Post by Panoptic Blur » Sep 16th, 2011, 04:12

Mitochondrial Eve: a direct-line female ancestor of every human currently in existence. Traced by the mitochondrial DNA packets in our cells, she is the "youngest" common matrilineal forerunner linking us genetically to each other that can be proven through that technique. (Although there is strong evidence suggesting the most recent common ancestor of all currently living humans is much more recent than her - as recent as 5,000 years, by some estimates.) She likely lived about 200,000 years ago, probably in Eastern Africa, and it might be a reasonable stretch to assume she was an effective mother to her children.

She likely lived during an era when humans had mastered tool use and firemaking. Her life, to her, would probably have seemed full of hardship and otherwise unremarkable. I wonder what she would have made of the prodigious success of her DNA after her - how the simple fact of her existence would become far more important, in the fullness of history, than merely the events during her lifetime.

It reminds me that every little act is worth doing well, because you really never know what the long term repercussions might be...!
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Sep 16th, 2011, 10:53

Panoptic Blur wrote:Traced by the mitochondrial DNA packets in our cells, she is the "youngest" common matrilineal forerunner linking us genetically to each other that can be proven through that technique. (Although there is strong evidence suggesting the most recent common ancestor of all currently living humans is much more recent than her - as recent as 5,000 years, by some estimates.) She likely lived about 200,000 years ago, probably in Eastern Africa...
Oh lawd.

Inspiring women? Well, one would be my Mother. The other, well, nah, you'll just make me blush.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Sep 16th, 2011, 10:55

My wife! (sorry, no pics)

She is the cornerstone of my soul. If not for her I would be a lesser man.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Sep 16th, 2011, 11:08

Seriously, though. Mothers as a collective should have their role in bold, 200px font and underlined. To endure through all conditions and still be able to provider what is necessary no matter the cost. That's pretty inspirational. Also, the unconditional love included in the contract between mother and child is probably one of the most powerful forces on the planet.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Sep 16th, 2011, 11:11

Lucia Cifarelli, vocalist of KMFDM. She can sing angry. I like.
LOL HI!

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Sep 16th, 2011, 16:16

Audrey Hepburn: Best remembered for her movies, including "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Roman Holiday", Hepburn practically defined the elfin waif look, alternating in versatile roles both regal and childlike. However, her slight build and delicate beauty had its roots in childhood hardship. Growing up in Holland during WWII, Hepburn lived through rationing, the transportation of the Jews, and the destruction of her city under Allied gunfire. She changed her name and switched her apparent nationality to survive under Nazi occupation, and joined the Resistance, raising money for the Allied cause through her ballet performances. Later in life, these events would lead her to dedicate her life to UNICEF and other global support initiatives. It would also forever mar her relationship with her father, who abandoned the family in her early childhood and whose political leanings supported the Germans. The two were reunited in Hepburn's adulthood, but remained emotionally distant - although, in a testament to her character, she supported him financially until his death.

When I look at Audrey Hepburn I see gentility, class, talent, and a rarefied beauty for the ages. When I think of her life, I see courage, determination, virtue, and a profound generosity of spirit. A daily inspiration.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."