Swearing!

General discussion that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Drakan
Well Done

Swearing!

Post by Drakan » Nov 27th, 2010, 02:42

Yes, you read that right, this post will be FULL of it! Oh who the fuck am I kidding, who here doesn't like swearing anyway? But truth be told, it's not something I do all that often, as otherwise too many F bombs and such can really grow thin and boring if over used throughout the day. But, now and then under high volumes of excitement, frustration or anger... ya just GOTTA let it out.

But I'm curious. What are your favourite swear words? In no order here...

Damn. Yeah, it's not the most abhorrent swear of them all, but I just love the sound of it, as it's also appropriate for minor annoyances or situations at best, but there were probably times where saying it would get you into serious trouble I imagine.

Bitch. Mostly my favourite term towards any hated enemies in a video game, as I rarely use it under normal circumstances. I just like using the phrase "Die, bitch!". It feels good.

beep. My ABSOLUTE favourite word. I prefer pussy if I'm going to refer to a woman's snatch, but against (though never to their face as it's just a bad idea) people I don't like, or to some boss enemy that REALLY roils me, or even just a situation that might be doing plenty to upset me, this is THE word for me.

As much as I use it like any other normal person, I find fuck to be kind of over-rated. It's still a good word, it's just not my favourite.

So... what are you're favourite swears? :D
Life is a privilege...Death is a promise...

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Re: Swearing!

Post by Shadowman » Nov 27th, 2010, 04:03

fuck
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Nov 27th, 2010, 06:10

"Shitpissfuckcuntcocksuckermotherfuckertitsfartturd and twat" - George Carlin
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Drakan
Well Done

Post by Drakan » Nov 27th, 2010, 06:29

Oh George how we loved you... He did a segment on swearing! I must go watch it.
Life is a privilege...Death is a promise...

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » Nov 27th, 2010, 09:20

"Ёбанный в рот!" (Your bunny wrote) which means "Fucked in the mouth!'

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 27th, 2010, 11:28

Great thread and my answer may surprise you, but probably not.

I don't fancy swearing at all and find it rude. The only ways it'll be evoked from me is through either the classic outburst upon pain received, or if I'm having some difficulty with (usually) electrical components.

I almost never swear in casual conversation and never in public places. You'd also never see me swear in person around Ella or Hellen.

The end.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Nov 27th, 2010, 12:05

Intriguing topic for discussion given it's unfair placement into the region of taboo. I find such words were created with an inherent purpose, to convey the emotional state of one into a word for recognition. The word acts as a trigger to recall the definition they were prescribed to by the elusive originators. I am curious as to how words are created and are progressively introduced into a language, potentially due to the circulation of various emotions which are conveyed frequently through interaction both with opposing and like minded individuals. Their in, the formation of swear words are the result of a desire to express one's self into a condensed and immediate format for recognition.

However I do not agree with finding them obnoxious, for doing so would be to taint the essence of a language if one were to censor or deny their use. Unfortunately wheir swear words are concerned, they appear to receive an odious (distasteful) perception as they are commonly used to evoke avarice or conflict between denizens. The intent of using the word may be the defining attribute as to whether it is viewed for a humourous and cheerful purpose between the communion of friends, or to launch an onslaught unto a bitter other. Although wheir the latter is concerned, I find resorting to such words may be an indication of one's inability to negotiate or to articulate themselves. Why would you want to intentionally create conflict if it could be avoided?

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Nov 27th, 2010, 13:46

Vittusaatanaperkele and megafuckshit.
LOL HI!

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Nov 27th, 2010, 13:58

Swearing has been scientifically tested in its relationship between physical tolerance in pain, and funny enough the results were that pain was reduced with cursing than verbal sweeteners like "fudge" or "sugar" or other civil substitutes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8147170.stm

As for myself, i will only swear when under pressure or when aggressive. Any other times i will attempt to refrain from it, but sometimes i will curse accidentally in public places.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Nov 27th, 2010, 18:29

Marana xan feerborg!

Krue gronatum torveh!
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Nov 27th, 2010, 18:58

I tend to hold my tongue outside of the internet, but sometimes there are just people you want to grab by the scruff of the neck and yell at until their face falls off.

I really shouldn't curse as much as I do on the nets.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Nov 27th, 2010, 22:42

I'm trying to come up with expressions of disgust or revulsion that are merely expressions of disgust or revulsion.

I dislike expressions that focus on religious sources or bodily functions. Religious sources are meaningless to me because I am an atheist, and so I feel it's pointless to glorify a creed I don't believe in, even if it's in a derogatory sense. And bodily functions strike me as particularly poor candidates for bad language because humans usually need to do them at some point.

Take, for example, the terms that compare a person to male or female genitalia. These are used as a term of abuse. Why? It makes no sense at all - especially when you consider how carefully people will generally protect their genitals from injury and damage. Even setting aside the linguistic roots of genitalia as somehow shameful ("pudenda" literally means "that which shames you"), most people would agree that sex is pleasurable and it usually involves the genitals.

Other body parts are merely used as terms of abuse because they are unhygienic or prurient. But most bodily functions are necessary, no matter how unpleasant they are. Take away a person's ability to evacuate waste products, for example, and they'll be hospitalized in a matter of days and dead within a week. It seems strange to attribute such vehemence to a bodily function that keeps you from dying.

A few subcategories of curses that I never use: sexual orientation, race, and parentage, this is something a person cannot change and which ideally should not even be relevant to any particular social function. I never use slurs about a person's sexual orientation, their racial or ethnic background, or their parentage ("you bastard!"). I generally do not use a person's religion either - even though I am an atheist, I'm well aware that their beliefs are just as worthy of respect and privacy as my own.

So I have personally been trying to come up with virulent satisfying curses that don't rely on religion or scatology for their impact.

Fortunately there are several good candidates.
  • Insulting a person's intelligence. This is slightly different from sexuality, race, and parentage because even though the person may be individually unable to do anything about it, it is still conceptually valid for me to decide whether they are suitable for a task based on their intellect. Some really entertaining curses can come about from this, especially if the curse is oblique. ("You've only read one book in your life and it was three pages long and made of cardboard and said THIS BOOK IS WATERPROOF AND CHEWABLE." "He had a moment of lucidity and he wasn't used to it." "If we cut off her head, the average IQ of her body would actually go up.")
  • Insulting their abilities. Again, they may be unable to help their own ineptitude, but you are perfectly justified in judging them incompetent for it. After all, most business is conducted by eliminating the least suitable candidates and then going with the most qualified one. ("You see? You can sometimes do something right - but only when you really try hard." "No, we're talking about something different now. Do try to keep up." "I know you hate it here, but in order for you to validly complain about doing your job, you do at some point have to actually do your job.")
  • Threatening violence, sickness, death, or other debilitating conditions. This comes closest to the meaningless intensifier function of most bodily or sexual curses. If you are very angry about something, you can usually communicate this irritating fairly clearly by conjuring horrendous scenarios. ("I'd cut off your arm just to have something to beat you to death with for your consummate stupidity." "I'd get you pregnant just so I could abort the fetus and sew it into your mouth to shut you up." "It wouldn't be enough to shoot you - I'd have to run you over IN YOUR OWN CAR just to make my point.")

I'm still working on this but I feel like I'm making progress.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » Nov 27th, 2010, 23:06

You are telling about ways to insult people.
Then what do you say when you accidentally hit your hand with a hammer? "You worthless tool! I'm gonna separate your metal part from the wooden part, then reassemble them the other way around!"?

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Nov 29th, 2010, 22:55

Interesting PriestOfTheBeast, but these swears need some reflection, and in my opinion swearing is like a reflex, when you don't have time to search for something intelligent to say.

I guess my favourite swearing is "Putain !", which originaly is an old fashioned word to say "whore", but frenches use it 99% like "fuck !".

If I'm speaking to somebody, I'll probably call that person an "Enculé !", which means "fucked up the ass", in the sense "you are somewhat that get fucked in the ass".
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Nov 29th, 2010, 23:50

You cocksucking dickfaced pisshead pice of shit son of a bitch bastard asshole motherfucker.
LOL HI!