Lucid dreaming

General discussion that doesn't fit in the other boards.
MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Lucid dreaming

Post by MoonStalkeR » Nov 25th, 2010, 21:41

Today at about 8am someone rang my apartment's entry intercom, I assume it was a raw milk delivery, by the time I actually got down they weren't there. My condition comes with sleep disorders (insomnia, nightmares, etc.), but raw meat consumption greatly improved my sleeping ability, and seems to affect my dreams. Now I can actually sleep a few more hours rather than waking up at 7 without falling asleep again.

I fell asleep again. Since this wasn't a deep sleep, the dreams included more self-awareness. I remember a car in this dream that I was standing next to. I actually realized that this is a dream and had a slight ability to manipulate the events with my mind. I wanted to open the car door but had trouble raising my arm, I was probably doing it the wrong way by physically raising my arm, and realized that I most likely had it under my pillow. I don't remember what came after (probably woke up before falling asleep again).

An exciting sleep, maybe I will soon explore the dream world further and see what lies beyond this amazing experience I had today.
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Re: Lucid dreaming

Post by RedFanatic » Nov 26th, 2010, 05:50

Go slow and becareful, you can train yourself to be more in control but your absolutly right about not needing to 'raise' your arm the normal way, in dreams it's more about intention.

Theres lots of info about dream travle and astral projection, might be worth looking at before you go anywhere aimlessly
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Nov 26th, 2010, 08:09

I had one dream where I was flying, and I realized it was a dream and thus could control where I flew.

It was undoubtedly the best dream I have ever had in my life.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Nov 26th, 2010, 14:14

PriestOfTheBeast wrote:I had one dream where I was flying, and I realized it was a dream and thus could control where I flew.

It was undoubtedly the best dream I have ever had in my life.
Got that once as well. I was determined to fly to a very specific location and tried my best to get there as fast as I could, before I woke up. Alas, I did wake up despite my efforts.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Nov 26th, 2010, 21:00

Dimebog, sounds similar to mine. I was aware that this would be over and I had limited time. Perhaps the excitement induced by such an event have contributed to phasing out of slumber more quickly?
RedFanatic wrote:Go slow and becareful, you can train yourself to be more in control but your absolutly right about not needing to 'raise' your arm the normal way, in dreams it's more about intention.

Theres lots of info about dream travle and astral projection, might be worth looking at before you go anywhere aimlessly
I am aware of lucid dreaming's presence as a skill and field of study. The practices they suggest to improve this skill are indeed helpful. I may have misinterpreted your tone, but it makes lucid dreaming sound like a somewhat risky venture. Can you provide more information as to what you consider are negative regarding this?
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Nov 26th, 2010, 22:06

E.g. if you dream about falling off a cliff, make sure to wake up before you hit the bottom.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Nov 26th, 2010, 22:59

Don't worry, soon science will be able to put us in semi-conscious states in which we can control our actions and do whatever we want. And then we will never awaken.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Nov 27th, 2010, 06:23

PriestOfTheBeast wrote:E.g. if you dream about falling off a cliff, make sure to wake up before you hit the bottom.
One is actually less prone to dangerous situations with lucid dreaming.
morhlis wrote:Don't worry, soon science will be able to put us in semi-conscious states in which we can control our actions and do whatever we want. And then we will never awaken.
Focusing on the dream life rather than on the actual will likely be a common phenomenon. It's better than what people do nowadays (throw their life away for some mmo)

Drakan
Well Done

Post by Drakan » Nov 27th, 2010, 06:32

I suppose people will go for it when living a dream life were it to become commonly attainable. No human is fond of having limits and dealing with reality, after all.
Life is a privilege...Death is a promise...

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Nov 27th, 2010, 12:08

I dreamt I was in a desert, except it was surrounded by an overwhelming circulation of water. I retreated into a log cabin with several others. I think it was a personfication of my sub-conscious indicating something is causing anxiety and must be resolved.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Nov 27th, 2010, 17:40

I had a roommate when I was young. He was practically crazy. He had done meth when he was in his early teens, along with other substances, and it had gone a long way to making him a bit off. He had stayed in a youth rehab clinic for awhile. While there he befriended someone who claimed to be into Christian/Judaic mysticism. He gave my old roommate a book on angels, rites of summoning, etc. He kept books on angelic names and how to draw summoning circles for protective or harmful spirits. Often he would sit and draw these cryptic diagrams from memory. Personally, I have never believed in such things. But he believed in them deeply. Though I doubted whether or not he really understood what he was sketching out, the characters within the circles being mostly ancient Hebrew.

As I have said, he was troubled. Many times he would do and say things that would hit me deep. He could look at me a certain way and make me feel very threatened and I didn't know why. It finally came time for me to part ways with him and my other roommate...as they refused to make regular rent payments. This caused even more hostility than normal, and the final days leading up to the separation were especially tough. He let me know that he had no hard feelings and he wanted me to be protected and safe against the ills of the world.

The night the he moved, though, was tumultuous. We had an argument about when he was supposed to be out of the apartment and he simply left, leaving all of his possession behind in the bedroom he occupied. That night I had a dream. Three to be exact. Each one leading into the next.

First I dreamt my little apartment bedroom opened up onto a beach. The sand, sky, clouds, and even myself were all grey and black. Only the ocean was a roiling crimson. Down the beach there was a family walking away. A storm was coming in. I walked back into my bedroom.

Without actually waking up, I awoke in another dream, my room converted into the attic of some victorian house. The layout still basically the same, only it seemed to breath, its purple walls stretching out into infinity as I looked over the foot of the bed.

Finally, I awoke once again in my bedroom. Only everything was brown and decaying. The windows were boarded up, beams of sunlight, iodine yellow, shining through the slats, motes of dust lazing through the air. The power was off, making the sickly sunlight my only means of visibility. When my feet touched the carpet little clouds of the stuff twirled and eddied. It was as if the apartment had been unoccupied for years. Knowing it was daytime by light through the window, I decided to get out of the dilapidated apartment. I opened the door to my bedroom and looked down the hall. On the left was the bathroom, at the far end of the hall was the door out, and on the right was the door to my roommate. I could see his door was open. But something wasn't right. His bedroom had a window in it just like mine. If it was bright out I would have been able to see the sun coming through his door. But I saw nothing. I edge toward his door and looked into and abyss. It was utterly black. The darkness was palpable, like a wall that wouldn't give if I touched it. And yet, I felt like there was something just on the other side of it. I was frozen in place. I couldn't move.

And then, from outside my dream, outside my sleep, I swear it was from outside, as if someone were right at my ear next to my bed, a voice whispered my name. I can't make you understand what I mean, I know. People just don't seem to comprehend what I'm trying to say. Its like when you hear your alarm clock during a dream, or someone calling you to wake up: your mind knows those sounds are different from the ones in your subconscious mind. Thats why you wake up when you hear them. That is what the voice I heard sounded like. It was as if someone leaned down and breath my name in my ear. I woke up immediately, and I did not go back to sleep.

This episode stuck with me long after my roommate left, and even though he was gone, the dream reminded me of his presence, his odd beliefs, and the way I would sometimes feel intimidated around him for no reason.

Eventually I had to move out, the apartment being too big for one person. As I shifted off the box spring a piece of paper flitted onto the floor. I picked it up and my eyes went wide. It was some sort of mystic circle from one of my roommate's books. It had been right underneath where I slept.

I never found out what it meant.

I burned it.

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Nov 29th, 2010, 22:41

You are good at bringing out the atmosphere when retelling your past, morhlis. Do you see any sort of message in this dream? Also, how much time passed between having that dream and moving out?

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Nov 30th, 2010, 05:23

Its been about 6 years since the dream and moving out. I walk a line between rationalism and my love for horror. When others tell me tales of ghosts in their homes or backyards I explain them away in my mind. This spirit of incredulity becomes even more pronounced when it comes to religious matters. No to start a discussion on the ecclesiastical, but I am a non believer through and through. And yet this was an instance which I cannot put out of my mind even to this day.

As I stated in my narrative: It was as if the whisper came from outside my dream. I have had people whisper to me while I dreamed. It was identical to that. ON the night I had that dream there was no one else in the house. Indeed, I was the only one with a key. And if you'll remember, I woke up directly upon my name being breathed int my ear.

I'm not sure what message to draw from my dream, other than to say that I think people shouldn't dabble in things they don't understand.

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Dec 10th, 2010, 05:50

I once got control over the flight in my dream when i was hovering in almost paused time above a facility in the desert, outside of which a battle between cops and somekind of military group was going on.

I managed to kick jump off a flying cop car as it span into the air engulfed in flame....:D and then flew off super man style all in lovely slow-mo
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]