Walk in the woods with U

General discussion that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Umnir
Half-homie

Walk in the woods with U

Post by Umnir » May 16th, 2010, 23:10

Inspired by mountain man Matt and his adventures, my humble daywalk thread is here! Perhaps in the future I can post something of a bigger adventure, but here is something to chew on.

Indeed it was, that four days off the work was too grand luxury to spend your ass sweating in the bush so I pretty much just took a chill pill, drank beer and enjoyed the sudden heat wave. It was a good weekend. But here is my little walk in the woods, when I feel like being alone and listening the breeze of the wind in the trees.

[NOTE TO VIEWER: I don't know how this thing works on higher resolution, but you might have to do the "show picture" thing to properly enjoy these /// NOTE2: These might be too overly sharpened aswell.. Im getting new monitor soon goddammit! I hope they are good for your eye]

My favorite path consists of ancient tractor trails and foot trails..

..such as this.

This is the basic view. Nothing out of ordinary, just basic scandinavian "korpi".

The ground is full of needles and fungi so crispy that it "hurts" to knee with shorts, not to mention walking with bare feet.

And ofcourse I had to bring my little choppa!

Then something, that pretty much made me wander off the trail and made this thread a bit shorter. :D You know that garden in japan that has clean flat surface of sand and rocks here and there? They are sort of landscape, where one should imagine the sand as sea and the rocks as islands. To this garden my fool "friend" laughed at in his ignorance, but it is something that I have always enjoyed and thought I was crazy. I like little small things - like little plants and rocks in miniature size are trees and huge climbs. Little water runs like this are sort of substitute for this kind of japanese garden I mentioned. Naturally shaped and varying in wondefrul shapes making the peaceful sound!

This is my favorite I took! I love those little "logs" spreaded around.

Something that caught my eye, too blocky to be normal. At first I thought it was manmade, but by closer inspection it was only block of ice that had survived in the shadow and above cool water!

Ok, so I made it back home! :lol: I went to the beach to walk in the water to cool off. I also checked the TRAP!

HALP! There was little fishy there, but also this frog..

..that I saved. :D

BONUS PHOTOS:

This is ultramegazoomed pic through old thick double window so it looks bad, but there you go cityfolks: sqwirl! Enjoying the last bits of winter food left (roikkuvia lihan palasia!), but the sviröl has to get his own food now.

Savusauna, aka smoke sauna. Old to the school!

Interior with stove. Here you can find the spirits (and the spirits after sauna).
LOL HI!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Re: Walk in the woods with U

Post by Daedalus » May 16th, 2010, 23:28

Man, where to begin. Such thin trees and virgin forest! A lovely and gentle transition from my 'harsher' environment and seemingly more photogenic, or perhaps just reflective of my lack of skill! :lol:

As I get erections from detail, I enjoyed the bits about the 'crispy' forest floor and you really getting in there to take the pics. The frog is cute, but nothing compared to that Finnish squirrel. What a squirrel it is! Seems to have almost a rabbit-like appearance to it, where our squirrels down here (which I haven't captured yet) seem a bit more ratty.

All in all, a fine excursion into the Scandanavian 'wastes' and I hope there'll be plenty more to come! As for me, the weather's staying wretched and soon it'll be time for me to transcend earthly flesh, evolve beyond feeling temperature and ascend to true Mountain Man Matthood.

Farewell for now!
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 16th, 2010, 23:34

Thanks!
I just noticed that the squirrel still has some winter camo left. :D
LOL HI!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 16th, 2010, 23:36

Looks like some good ol' Finnish forest I'd like to visit more these days. I haven't really the time nor the car to visit such places so I'm requesting more of these pictures.

Not sure what cities have to do with squirrels, I live in one and our backyard has three to four chasing each other every morning, it's a pleasant sight.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 16th, 2010, 23:45

Yea, those things are pretty common and hilarious. They usually sounds pretty pissed when you try to approach them. Took photo with someone elses camera this weekend when one ran into tree and watched down to the camera.
LOL HI!

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Jun 25th, 2010, 16:10

Nice pics dude, the quality of your pics is really good.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Jun 25th, 2010, 22:55

This is how the world should be: moderate to sparse population living in and around nature but still with all the advantages of modern technology. This is how the world should be.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jun 29th, 2010, 08:50

Thanks.
I'll have some more photos in near future, but it will become more general thread.
Perhaps this could me renamed Umnir's scenery photos or something?
LOL HI!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jul 21st, 2010, 20:43

Seems like we have accidental double post here [edit]
Last edited by Umnir on Aug 2nd, 2010, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
LOL HI!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Aug 2nd, 2010, 15:38

These are 800x600, so you hafta right click -> show them possibly.

First, how to make willow whistle:

Get your workpiece and look for long clean portion. Usually it's only few centimeters since these fast growing bastards grow more branches than Astrid Thor's propaganda machine.

Cut the end flat like this.

Make a notch in this fashion, like whistles have.

Cut around the willow's skin so that the edge of the blade hits the wood itself. This is that you can take the skin off (see below).

Tap all the skin gently with the handle of your knife, and lay the willow on some surface as roots here. This makes the tapping slightly more effective. You might have to make few rounds depending on willow.

After tapping, gently twist the skin and it should come off. Take out carefully to not break the skin. If it doesn't come off, tap more.

Cut the notch further like in the picture, see the effect in next picture.

Now put the skin back gently and you should have your whistle. It doesn't always work, and this was too small to work or something else wen't wrong. Experiment with hole size, and usually take a bit thicker willow.

Whittling fuzzysticks or feathers. These are made to catch fire, in order to make campfire for instance.

Another one with thinner slices.

Image'

Fucking cops trying to find me all the time.

Is it a tree stub, is it a rock?

No it's the pussycat!

LOL HI!

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Aug 2nd, 2010, 15:42

Correct me If I am mistaken (and no doubt I will be given my lack of knowledge in Botany :P) but the Korpi (skeletal thin trees) are exclusive to Northern parts of Europe? If so are they dependant on an annual cold and dry climate or do they have the capability to survive regardless of the climate conditions? I prefer their complete lack of width as it allows one to admire the surrounding environement easier compared to the dense Deciduous and Confinerious forestry of England which entangles the beholder in darkness preventing the Sun from shining through and obscuring your visibility as a result.

I can't help but associate the Korpi's bare and vulnerable appearence to death and decay, given the fragile look and thinness of the leaves. I especially like how the luminious but not intense morning sunlight (judging from the shallow look of the sun's rays) complements the greenery of the vegetation, it strikes that serenic and calming sensation very well. I love coming across crispy grass or funghi :D even more impressive if it hasn't been hardened by overnight frost, I have an irrational tendancy to grind and crunch it with the base of my shoes, the same goes for the formation of Ice over a small puddle leaving you with this very crunchy Ice which shatters into pieces of glass.

The trickle of a natural stream is always a pleasure to the nature loving ear, although my personal favourite sight of water is hearing the rain smother the leaves and trees on a quiet night. I especially like how those logs and vegetation seem to grow wildly around the stream, intervening and entwining itself as expected, it makes the English countryside look piss boring in comparison :) As I'm damn certain they've altered with the environment as it looks unrealistically tidy in some spots.

The area near the beach looked rather remarkable, didn't expect to see a spot of marsh land? Judging from the shoots of grass appearing from the water. The trees located on opposite sides to the river in the last shot reminds me of a stereotypical Mississippi river for some reason, but with a more lush array of greenery in comparison.

I'm quite envious of that awesome oldschool log cabin, it'd be swell to live their in seclusion surviving of nature for a month rather than any easily obtain processed, refined, supermarket food. I've always found the concept of a Grocery fascinating in shackling Humanity's ability to feed itself, the majority wouldn't have a damn clue how to obtain food through natural means if their were to be a catastrophic stock shortage without warning.

How to wrap this post up? That's a wonderful Cat you have there, light brown fur and piercing green eyes are my ideal combination :) And a splendid outdoor venture it was no doubt, Thanks for sharing Sir and are you in close reach of the native Finnish countryside? That is if you currently reside in those resentful sprawling urban jungles :(
morhlis wrote:This is how the world should be: moderate to sparse population living in and around nature but still with all the advantages of modern technology. This is how the world should be.
Quoted for truth :D

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Aug 2nd, 2010, 16:21

Oh man, I didn't quite expect this kind of reply, thanks!
The beach is not exactly swamp, but looking like it from the pictures. The ground vegetation there is quite dense and long, and the straws and lake vegetation has dried up and landed on the beach at last autumn, hence the swampy appearance. That beach in the last photos is from my parents and it's really nice swimming in there.

The pussycats are some of the luckiest ones in the planet, being free to come in and out and dwell in the green grass. Wintertime however, they like to mostly spend on top of the oven. :lol:

Those photos are about 30km or so away from where I live, so not very far!

I have some photos from a trailer trip in my laptop, but I don't have it right now. Soon.
LOL HI!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Aug 11th, 2010, 19:37

This time, resizing to 600x because of convenience (hopefully fits now).

Some random photos first:

Fish smoking apparatus

View to the field from the yard.

Couple weeks back we went to a day trip to this beach...
When we arrived, I thought "where in the fucking hell are we?".

This is the view from where we parked the trailers. The amount of bloodsucking mosquitoes was overwhelming, adding the heat ofcourse.

But after few ten meters the place seemed to be much more to the expectations. This was at late evening, and the beach was absolutely void of mosquitoes despite the forrest being right there few meters away.

Latenitesnack

Next morning shots:

Moss was very pleasant.

It was very nice, about 20h or so total. Swimming, fishing, eating by campfire, few beers here and there, chilling on the rocks, etc etc.
LOL HI!

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Aug 27th, 2010, 11:47

This is beautiful. You should consider making a Ultimate Survival - like TV Show dude ! Umnir on Discovery Channel !

I'm still amazed by the quality of your pics, I really have to get a decent camera one day.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Aug 27th, 2010, 12:06

Thanks Le Babe!
Le Babe wrote:You should consider making a Ultimate Survival - like TV Show dude ! Umnir on Discovery Channel !
Lulz! :lol:
Well, Im no survivalist but I had a plan to try making friction fire but zippo is so much more easier. :D
LOL HI!