Posty cooking thread

General discussion that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Re: Posty cooking thread

Post by Panoptic Blur » Mar 14th, 2012, 14:59

Dimebog wrote:How about some tips/recipes for spring rolls?
Delighted to help, Dimebog.

Spring rolls

Ingredients:
Spring roll wraps (you can get these from Asian supermarkets, the thinner the better)
Ground meat (I usually use beef)
Eggs, one carton
Bean sprouts (aka mung beans)
Spring onions
If desired: Cabbage, lettuce etc. for bulking out the filling

1. Separate out the yolks from the egg whites. You'll use the yolks for folding and sealing the rolls, but you'll use the egg whites as part of the delicious filling.
2. Prepare the filling (馅, or xian). Separate out the ground beef and fry it until it's fairly dry. You need it to be very finely granular, in order to wrap it well. Fry up the bean sprouts, breaking them wherever necessary to make them finer. Fry up the egg whites and then cut or break it up into shreds. Same goes for any other materials you wish to include: spring onions, cabbage, lettuce, etc.
3. Combine the filling - put all the ingredients together and fry. If a soupy sauce evolves (as is highly likely if you have lots of vegetables), drain it and continue frying until it's dry. The sauce itself is worth setting aside for use with fried rice or noodles or other dishes, but it will destroy the wrapping skins if you leave it in the mixture.
4. Beat the egg yolks in a bowl until they form a dark paste. This will be used as the glue for sealing the spring roll wrappings.
5. Start wrapping! Put the filling in the middle of each wrapping skin in a horizontal mass. You'll have to adjust this to suit the size of the wrapping skins, but generally speaking if it's as wide as two fingers and a little bit longer, you're on the right track. Fold the skin over the filling, first from the top, the from the bottom, then from the left and the right sides. You're making a "packet".
6. The egg yolk is used to seal the wrapping, and it only functions properly when you bind one wrapping skin surface to another wrapping skin surface. Thus, the first fold you make will not use any egg yolk to bind (because you're folding the skin over the filling). Every fold after that will involve wrapping-on-wrapping contact, so use a dab of egg yolk to seal it each fold.
7. Set aside each spring roll as you finish wrapping it. Once you're all done, you have a pile of spring rolls ready to be cooked. There are a few ways of cooking spring rolls, depending on how much oil you want to use, how much clean up you want to avoid, and how healthy you want to be about it.

Deep fry: Fill a saucepan with two or three inches of vegetable oil and heat. Dip spring rolls into the oil with a metal sieve or one-by-one using wooden or metal chopsticks. This causes a fair bit of grease smoke and is the least healthy, but the spring rolls themselves are most flavorful. Warning: the amount of grease involved may also give you stomach aches if you indulge in too many spring rolls.

Shallow fry: Coat a frying pan with vegetable oil and heat. Place spring rolls into the pan and brown on both sides, then remove. This is less greasy.

Steamed spring rolls: Fill a large saucepan with 3-5 cm depth of water, put a metal steaming tripod (available at most Asian markets) in the middle, and put a shallow broad bowl on the tripod. Swap batches of the spring rolls into the bowl and cover, steaming for a few minutes each time. This is by far the healthiest and won't result in oil stomachaches, but it's much less tasty than frying.

I'm assuming you want spring rolls that have fairly crisp, dry fillings, rather than a mushy paste. I've had several spring rolls (usually from westernized recipes) that followed the "mushy paste filling" route, and they've all been universally awful. The wrapping is also much thicker, because the paste would cause a thinner wrapping to fall apart.

The recipe I've given above results in thin, crispy, delicate spring rolls, suitable for consuming with a glass of plum liquor or rice wine while setting off fireworks in the courtyard and dallying with eunuchs and concubines.

Edit: made the frying language more specific.
Last edited by Panoptic Blur on Mar 15th, 2012, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Mar 15th, 2012, 12:49

Excellent. I hate when they turn out greasy and mushy. The recipe I had also included carrots and some other vegetables.

I'll save this recipe.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Mar 15th, 2012, 13:28

Mother of god I would love some spring rolls! DROOOL!
Gotta save that recipe too.
LOL HI!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Apr 6th, 2012, 17:37

Feeling like killing myself today, so I made some cheese pizza. Recipe and instructions:

Bake pizza pastry or buy frozen kind, lay it on the baking surface whatever and put following ingredients on first: tomato pyreeeee, goat cheese, white mold cheese, cheddar. Then put some regular cheese (such as edam) on, then put good sized slices of mozzarella on those. Then again, put some regular cheese on. Put that shit in the oven for 225 celcius and let that shit fry there for like 15 to 20 mins depending on how it looks.

Let it cool down for while after taking out, since that shit can burn your mouth because it's all cheese.
Wash down with bottle of bouron and 12pack of beer of your choice.

Die.
LOL HI!

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Apr 17th, 2012, 15:15

Felt like killing time yesterday, so I made a quick stir-fry with noodles.

Noodles: soba (buckwheat) noodles, cook in miso broth.

Stir-fry: the quicker the better. Wash 油菜 (sub-cultivar of rape, brassica rapa) and chop into pieces about an inch long. Finely slice some summer sausage.

Heat pan, stir fry sausage first, then 油菜 pieces. Near the end, add a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve all in a bowl with miso soba noodles.

I also played some Borderlands while eating. Good times.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 17th, 2012, 15:51

Panoptic Blur wrote:I also played some Borderlands while eating. Good times.
Sequel's coming out later this year.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » May 6th, 2012, 21:23

Do you have a particular meal on Sundays?

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 7th, 2012, 04:02

I AM HUNGRY,

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » May 29th, 2012, 16:38

PLEASE ACCEPT THESE SOULS OF INFIDELS MIGHTY DEVOURING GOD

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jul 23rd, 2012, 17:27

Soy sauce chicken

Ingredients:

Boneless skinless chicken thighs
Mushrooms, baby portobellas are best
Red wine
Soy sauce
Ginger and garlic
Olive oil

Cooking:

Put the oil in the pan and heat on high heat. Peel and crush two cloves of garlic and throw into the oil, along with a small wedge of ginger, to flavor the oil.

Place the chicken thighs into the pan. Brown on both sides, then turn the heat down to medium. Add red wine and soy sauce and mushrooms, and sautee for 15-20 minutes, depending on how thick the cuts of meat are. If in doubt, slice one open at its thickest point to make sure it's done all the way through - poultry cannot be safely eaten if undercooked.

Serve over rice or on its own.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jul 27th, 2012, 21:07

Maccheroni thang (picture above taken by cook himself)

Watchaneed:
Tube macaroni of some sort (400g used)
Running cheese
White sauce (ready product used)
Gouda
Onion with green tube thing
Grassy kind of onion
Brother pepper
Milk
Butter

Make the white sauce first. Put some half litre of white sauce on cattle and put the runny cheese in there and about two desilitres of milk, also add black pepper. Mix that shit all the time and take it off as it starts to boil.
Now boil the macaroni al dente, add salt to it. Regular cooks add the salt to the water, but in my opinion that's useless. Take the water off and add the salt to the macaroni and mix it.
Now take a casserole and lube the insides (duh) with butter. Put layer of macaroni on the bottom so that it covers the bottom, then ham layer and then white sauce thing nicely and then put pit of shredded gouda there (I also like to add the tube kind of onion myself). Now repeat the same thing. Mine took only two times. Put some shredded gouda on top of it so that it gets nice layer at top (that everybody wants).
Put that shit on the oven and let that shit boil there in 225 celcius for like 20-30minutes.
Put that green grassy onion thing on top when serving (not cooked).

Now that makes some thick meal fo sho. That should be enough for four people at once or for one hungry motherfucker.
LOL HI!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jul 29th, 2012, 17:13

Chicken and watermelon
LOL HI!

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jul 29th, 2012, 17:15

YO WERD UP NIGGA get some grape soda
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jul 29th, 2012, 18:37

We don't have that :(
LOL HI!

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Oct 3rd, 2012, 16:08