Posty cooking thread

General discussion that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Re: Posty cooking thread

Post by Panoptic Blur » Mar 7th, 2012, 03:10

Very fast noodle dinner.

Saucepan full of water, heat on stove. Add one spoonful of miso paste.

Take two heads of leafy greens (Brassica rapa chinensis works well - the Chinese typically call it 小白菜, but in non-Chinese markets this might be called "bok choy", "baby bok choy", or "Chinese cabbage"). Wash them clean of any sand or grit, and break them into inch-sized pieces. Add them to the soup.

Take a bundle of soba buckwheat noodles. Stand them on one end in the soup, and twist it slightly in your hands. Then let go.

The noodles will collapse outwards into a fan shaped arrangement, and as the lower part cooks soft, it will bow inwards, sliding entirely under the water without you having to worry about charring.

Remove into a bowl, add seaweed, chopped spring onions, or fried red onions as garnishment. A tiny bit of sesame oil or soy sauce helps too.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Mar 7th, 2012, 08:36

Tekedon wrote:The meal of a true Bloodite, a homemade double burger :P coudln't finish this beast though.. I'm not that big of a eater.
I actually try to keep a single, moderate sized patty when I have burgers. When there is too much meat then it tends to overpower the combined taste of meat, condoments and bun. Just my opinion though :D

How did you make the patty?
Panoptic Blur wrote:Panoptic Noodles
No meat/protein? :(

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Mar 7th, 2012, 08:42

This thread is but a ghost without pics!

Tekedon: yummy!
LOL HI!

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Mar 7th, 2012, 19:58

NAto wrote:
Panoptic Blur wrote:Panoptic Noodles
No meat/protein? :(
No meat. The miso, being a soy product, does contain some protein. I have no idea whether it's enough to satisfy RDA intake.

The noodles are generally something I eat early in the mornings, so the carbohydrate intake is high (to kick start brain function, which gets me ready for my job) and the vegetables get the digestion moving nicely for my morning evac.

I usually load up on protein for lunch, because my martial arts takes place in the early evenings so I need to have some on hand to repair microtears in the muscles then.

Sometimes I snack on nuts. (And bolts, to continue the VK cyborg analogy!)
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Mar 7th, 2012, 20:45

Why would a Voight-Kampff machine need martial arts training?
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Mar 7th, 2012, 21:41

Panoptic Blur wrote:The noodles are generally something I eat early in the mornings, so the carbohydrate intake is high (to kick start brain function, which gets me ready for my job)
Could you elaborate a bit?

I've read countless times that only water and fresh fruit is best in thr mornings to get you going.
Panoptic Blur wrote: and the vegetables get the digestion moving nicely for my morning evac.

Morning stress relief! :)
Panoptic Blur wrote:I usually load up on protein for lunch, because my martial arts takes place in the early evenings so I need to have some on hand to repair microtears in the muscles then.
I hqve to have protien in every meal... adding up to 200g a day. Tedious.

I find martial arts fitness/strength a little unchallenging. IMO most styles are far behind on the science of strength needed for martial arts.

Many are still awesome for kicking butt though!

What style do you do, by the way?

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Mar 8th, 2012, 03:16

Stop being so drunk.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Mar 8th, 2012, 06:56

NAto wrote:What style do you do, by the way?
Krav Maga for now. I'm thinking of going into BJJ for close-quarters combat, but that's strictly one-on-one because it's a grappling-intensive art.

I'm also seriously giving thought to taking Parkour lessons so I can outrun any pursuers in an urban environment.

The theory is, BJJ if I'm jumped, Krav Maga for a fistfight to break free, and Parkour to get me to safety.

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Mar 8th, 2012, 19:45

Panoptic Blur wrote:The theory is, BJJ if I'm jumped, Krav Maga for a fistfight to break free, and Parkour to get me to safety.
Sounds solid :)

I wouldn't mind doing parkour either. It takes a lot of gymnastic type strength.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Mar 11th, 2012, 18:07

Simple country omelette:

Butter or vegetable oil in pan, medium heat.

Chopped garlic in pan, toasting in butter.

Chopped sausage (real or vegan - I use Tofurkey Italian soy sausages) in pan, browning.

Sliced mushrooms in pan, stir with sausages and garlic.

Whisked egg (real or substitute - I use Egg Beaters) in pan, turn heat down to low. Fold edges inward as egg cooks.

Add cracked pepper, sliced cheese, chopped spring onions.

Turn off heat and fold omelette in half, serve immediately.

As for a real French omelette, here's a video showing the distinction:

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Mar 11th, 2012, 19:00

Pics!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Mar 11th, 2012, 20:24

Holy titfuck. I need to make omelettes.
Im the fried eggs school kind of guy, only half side fried and yellow running and all sorts of stuff on it like vegetables, meat and cheese.
LOL HI!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Mar 12th, 2012, 14:19

I don't like eggs, at all.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Mar 12th, 2012, 15:25

Green chicken curry. This is what I can dimly remember from last night when I watched MOTGIAT cook it.

Garlic
Galangal (南姜) or ginger if you can't find it
Fish sauce
Green curry sauce (MOTGIAT made this from scratch, but it took nearly an entire afternoon's preparation and you're able to just buy it in a jar for simplicity)
Chicken thighs
Mushrooms, sliced
Zucchini/courgettes, finely sliced
Eggplant/aubergine, cubed
Spicy red peppers
Spring onions
Coconut milk
Basil
Cilantro

Heat oil in pan, add 3/4s of the sliced spicy red peppers, the galangal, and the fish and green curry sauces. Add cubed chicken thighs at this point and brown on medium-low heat.

Once thighs are reasonably browned, add the eggplant and mushrooms and coconut milk. Simmer for about 10 mins, uncovered, or until eggplant is just starting to soften to al dente.

Add zucchini, basil, and cilantro, and 3/4s of the spring onions. Simmer just long enough for zucchini to start to soften too, then serve. Use the remaining spring onions and spicy red peppers as seasoning.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Mar 14th, 2012, 02:59

I like that noodle recipe.

How about some tips/recipes for spring rolls or sweet dumplings?
Raven wrote:Nevermore.